TLZone Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anybody rebuilt or replaced the sleeves on yoshi mufflers for the TL? I am thinking of buying a set but they have some damage on the flange side, and i'm wondering if it is possible to "rebuild" ONLY that side. It looks like they were cut down from the flange side itself (is that how its done?) and if I were to replace the rivets/straps would I need to cut them down further?
yoshi1.jpg
yoshi2.jpg

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
By the way, the straps do not look very tight, so I wonder if something is damaged or bent on the inside so that the rivet holes in the straps are spaced too far apart. I'm looking at the gap between the flange and outer casing as well, it looks to be nice and even in one pic, but the other is almost double the gap, plus isn't even...

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
If the mufflers were shortened, they likely were not modified properly. Hence, the uneven gap. The factory finish is much better.

As for replacement parts, sleeves, rivets, bands, & packing, etc. They can be obtained from Yoshimura R&D.
Replacement Service Parts

Agreed, I decided to buy them regardless. Guy said they were shortened 3" so maybe ill cut 1-2" more and clean it up a bit. Thanks for the feedback 😘

·
Premium Member
6,872 Posts
It looks like to me that the inner core tubing has not been shortened enough (when the outer sleeves were) to allow the outer end caps to sit properly against the sleeve ends.

Re-riveting on the end bands can be challenging so as not to get loose or humped bands.
I start by holding the bands in place with all the rivets pushed in but not fixed. Sometimes I have to use several tapered punches to lever the band flat and into place before I can actually rivet it.

Personally I would not cut any more off the outer sleeves, I think shortening them below the 18 inches as they were designed looks shite.

The holes in the outer sleeves will be good to go. Use gas tight rivets and re-drill into the ally end plates - no biggy and you will have the outer sleeves to show you where to drill when you have them all flush and neat.

·
Registered
249 Posts
If you want Yosh cans totally refurbished Yosh does offer the service and they will come back to you in like new condition!
I’m sending out a set of Yosh CF TRS Tri Oval Cans to have them totally refurbished by Yosh, it will cost me approx $420 USD.

·
Registered
42 Posts
What truckstop saud is correct. Inside youll find a tube made of perforated stainless steel. What youll need to do is get a wooden dowel and stick down through the exit towards the end that bolts up to the header theres a lip in there youll rest the dowel on now its hammer time. They come apart pretty easy just shave a 1/4" off and youll be fine and the piece they fit to is tapered. I shortened mine by about 6-7 inches and then proceeded to replace the perforated baffle tube with solid stainless tube. Put 2 wedge baffles in the rightvside to balance out the back pressure and shes one bad mutha shut yo mouth now.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts