TLZone Forums banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
184 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is there a race and street version of these? Or only race? I have TLR RS3 full system and just fired it up for first time and it seems quiet to me. Maybe I am used to the 2 louder systems I have had on bike. Yosh website only mentions race version, and their pic shows baffle in can just like mine. That baffle had me worried that I have street version, till I saw pic. Just seems too quiet.
thanks
john

·
Registered
253 Posts
My full race system is quieter than my stock system with Yosh Bolt-ons. It has a deeper rumble though which I like more.

·
Registered
15 Posts
There is a difference. When I ordered mine (titanium RS3 bolt-on) he asked me if I wanted the quite street version or the louder race version. Guess what I choose :devious

·
Registered
97 Posts
I remember seeing somewhere on a website someone who modified the street version RS-3's by taking some of the baffles out to make them louder, does anyone know the link to the site?? :hail

·
Scooter hottie chauffeur
4,663 Posts
both RS-3 bolt ons that I had (stainless and CF) were straight through. don't know if that's race only, or what. I had the stainless apart and therre is copper wool and then a heat resistant blanket material wrapped around that.... but it's a straight through perferated pipe.

·
Premium Member
7,697 Posts
Over the years Yosh has sold MANY versions for the TL.

They had one that was super-quiet and met EPA laws, but I've never seen one. It had three stages of internal baffles, quiet as stock but more power.

The Zyclone has a pre-chamber that's the full size of the outer can, might have some kind of baffle too? Pretty quiet. The early CF ones tended to burn the CF shell in the pre-chamber where the hot exhaust comes into direct contact with the outer can. Later they added some silver paint inside in that area, and eventually many people glued in some foil too.

The QRB is my favorite. It's straight-thru but the perforated inner core pipe is smaller-diameter than the full-race. IMHO they sound quite lovely if you use that additional space around the inner pipe to really pack them with a lot of fiberglass; they end up pretty heavy for a CF can with all that packing, and not too loud, but with a nice deep bass that I like quite a bit. And the cops don't hear you coming from a mile away, the neighbors don't hate you. Some came badged RS-3.

Full-race has a large-diameter pipe thru the middle. Come badged RS-3.

Personally, it may be exactly opposite current styling trends, but for the street I'd really like an extra-long full-race with plenty of packing. All of the power, nice deep bass, none of the raspy noise like my old D&Ds.

·
Registered
3,003 Posts
ya man i love my rs3's. nice and deep sounding. mine do not have any baffles, that leads me to beleive they are the "race" version.

·
Premium Member
7,697 Posts
The QRB don't have any baffles either (quiet race baffle, but has no baffle?). IMHO they're the best-sounding.

·
Registered
67 Posts
I have the RS-3 Carbon bolt-ons and there pretty loud. I can definetly see a baffle in there, looks like a smaller pipe than the tip is. I wanted louder so I got a full D&D system, now I wake up the neighbers 20 blocks away! Everybody loves me!

·
Registered
11,001 Posts
...post #6 by Rifleman is the race version...if you see a smaller inner round opening in your cans then you have the street baffled version...

·
Registered
97 Posts
I'm doing the Speednut Yosh RS-3(street) bolt-ons in to (Race) mod 2mora :devious
Hope they're not TOOOOOOO loud :O

·
Registered
184 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
...post #6 by Rifleman is the race version...if you see a smaller inner round opening in your cans then you have the street baffled version...

Cadburys Man said:
I'm doing the Speednut Yosh RS-3(street) bolt-ons in to (Race) mod 2mora :devious
Hope they're not TOOOOOOO loud :O
OK So mine have that smaller inside baffle. I really don't like loud pipes but I assume the race version is worth 2-3 HP? I am getting bike dynoed soon and so I wanna get things set right first.Cadbury man, have you tried to remove this baffle yet? Is it simply a drilling out rivets and sleeve comes off real simple thing or is it gonna turn in to a nightmare? I have had a can apart before and it was a bloody mess.
thanks for the input guys
john

·
Registered
184 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
OK I just read some more on speednuts mod and need some clarification. I have the older TLR stainless steel full yosh system, the one where the midpipe and can are one piece. My tips are oval, not round. Looking in the rear of can I can see a baffle that I don't believe is in rifleman's pic. Mine is still a straight through design. Is there HP to be gained by removing this baffle? Or just more noise?
john

·
Registered
184 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
OK I'm a jackass. I have round tips. So I guess I have the zyclones? I am going to gut them per speednut.

·
Registered
97 Posts
Mr 484,

I have done the mod today and all i can say is OMFG, they sound AWESOME!!!!!! :hail :hail :hail
They sounded quite good before but now they sound like a V-Twin should sound and IMO they are not too loud at all but LOADS more bassy on idle and sing when opened up.
If i can help you in any way gimme a shout ;)

·
Registered
184 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Thanks cadbury man but I've about got it done, 1 down 1 to go. I was pleasantly surprised to discover that the packing was very much intact, way more so than in other cans I have had apart. This of course must be contributing to their quietness, I guess previous exhaust owner hasd his bike mapped well. Thanks to all.
john

·
Registered
40 Posts
Are the race baffles a lot louder/better sounding than the street baffles.

Im debating if I should change them or not..65.00 a baffle, 29.00 for new packing and 2.50 for the rivet retaining strap.

grand total of 195.00 + shipping

Any noticable gains in power?

·
Registered
1,499 Posts
Heres's a pic of my RS3 race can with provision for the bolt-in street baffle

This is with my home-made street baffle to pass noise test

This is one of the baffle's that i made, very simple but very effective

·
Registered
184 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
hey mustang I did it for the power, I really don't like loud pipes. they are quite a bit louder now, if that is what you are going for.
I don't understand, are you thinking of buying some type of baffle-changing kit? I did what the speednut mod shows, simply removing the extra baffle in street pipes, making them identical to race versions.
john

1 - 20 of 23 Posts