TLZone Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2,650 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Was getting to the point where I am going to grind off the rivets on the end caps of my RS-3 bolt-on to do some mods to the can. I'm going to cut that sucker down at least by 6 inches depending on how the internal baffle looks like. A buddy of mine told me that the baffle inside tapers down so I really need to remove the rivets from the front of the can & pull the internals out from that end. Hmmm. Anyone have experience tearing apart this style of bolt-on? Yeah, my local dealership has the replacement strap & rivet kit in stock which should make this process easier. Just wanted to know if someone out there had done this before & agrees with my buddy's advice on removing the front portion of the can? The muffler has some crash damage on the front so that would be the best place to cut it if I have a choice...

:O

Yeah, I will take a bunch of photos as I rip the sucker apart & do the work.

·
Registered
3,003 Posts
dob! hey i have never had to grind rivets off. take a drill with a bit just a bit larger then the center of the rivet and drill into it. right through the center- the rivet should pop right off. also make sure you have a rubber mallet handy. that should make it easy to get the end caps off. just beat them at an angle off the end and they should come right off. when you get the end cap off, you might find that the packing is stuck (burnt) to the inner wall. I used a long flat bread knife to slip in and gently pry it away from the wall of the can. not all of it will come gently and you may damage some of the packing. that is the only bit that should give you trouble. please post up if you run into trouble. good luck :thumbup if i can do it, anyone can!

·
Moderator,
8,243 Posts
I don't recall the baffle being tapered, but it's been a long time since I've had one apart.

·
Registered
938 Posts
I've done this too a few cans that were 3 bolt and converted them to 4 bolt. Most GSXR cans are 2-3 inches longer than the TL cans. So, I just trimmed the GSXR cans to the same length as the TL cans. Easy process, Dread posted the easiest instructions as far as using a drill to take out the rivets. I didn't replace the rivet band, and I just went to Home Depot and bought the appropriate sized aluminum rivets for a cheaper price. Aluminum rivets are alot easier to pop than the steel versions. I recommend using a rubber mallet to get the end caps off the can.

·
Registered
2,650 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks guys. Since I am not gutting the pipe internals this is a relatively easy process. Yeah, the inner pipe is not tapered & drilling out the rivets off the end cap strap is definitely the way to go. Probably the toughest part was removing the small section of pipe that attaches to the front portion of the inner baffle from the rest of the mesh tubing. Yosh spot welded that little section of regular tubing on there to the long wire mesh tube with 12 spot welds! Ouch. Took me longer to grind off the spot welds so I could pry & yank the mesh tubing off that small section of pipe than it did to drill out the rivets, remove the end cap & cut the muffler to size. What a PITA that small step was; everything else was straight forward & relatively easy so far. Will post up a few pictures when I'm done. Thanks again for the pointers...

1 - 6 of 6 Posts