TLZone Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
878 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Did a search but couldn't come up with much, I have a 2001 TLR and I am having a hard time finding the correct fuel pump gasket. This is what I found:

http://shop.prosourceoutlet.com/pages/parts/home.aspx

11 Gasket Set Fuel Pump 1 $19.59

Every thread on here says they are 40 bucks, yet this website has 6 different tanks listed and it appears to have the same gasket on each tank, with the same price on each one.

Is this the correct part?

Also, while the tank and plastics are off, I want to get my bike starting better. Will plugs / wires do it? It starts rough every time, but once its running its no problem. Any ideas? Bike has 10,000 miles

·
Registered
1,379 Posts
Pork, i have no idea on the gasket. But from what i have heard all the tlr modles are the same (check ronayers.com for any dif in part numbers). also from what ive heard you might not need new wires if you clip 1/2" off the wires and reuse them. tl's are also known for eating plugs and fouling them.... "when in doubt change the plugs." Im sure some one will chime in with better info.

Jesse

edit: also search the +mod and ground mod... might help you out there too

·
Registered
878 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Also with the plugs, the prices are from 2 bucks a plug up to something like 18 dollars a plug. Is there a noticeable difference between them, or not really? I'm surfing that other site you suggested now, the help is much appreciated.

·
Registered
878 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Looks like all the model numbers on that website come to be the same, I could have sworn all the guys that stated a price here on the zone said they were 40 bucks hence my reasoning for thinking it was the wrong info I was reading.

·
Registered
1,379 Posts
i dont know about different plugs, it has been the topic of many many threads of switching to iridium plugs to minimize fouling and such. (meaning search it for more info) I did have a problem with the foulign of plugs till i switched over to the iridium... then all was good.. till i started to mess with the power commander... my advice.. get soem fresh plugs in her and bust out some high quality rvt for the gasket, use a torque wrench on ALL the bolts and youll be good...

·
Registered
115 Posts
Also, be aware that the bolts have to be tightened in a correct pattern when fitting the pump back in, i assume to seat the gasket with an even pressure!

·
Registered
878 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
While searching I found the map for the bolts, so that is no issue. So I am going to order that gasket for 20 bones and hope that does it for me. Now I am considering replacing the fuel filter while I am in there, that is more expensive then the gasket at 38 bucks. Should I do this right away, or leave it be and run some cleaner through the tank?

·
Registered
1,379 Posts

·
Registered
878 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
http://www.tlzone.net/forums/showthread.php?t=79647&highlight=fuel+filter

your call, but if i were in there i prob would. hey its only money right???

best of luck
Might as well do it while its apart I guess, just found it for 30 bucks on the Pro Source Outlet website. So thats fuel filter, oil filter, and gasket thus far. Might as well find some plugs on here too and not have to worry about paying for shipping more then once. Anything else you guys suggest I replace while I am in here?

·
Registered
2,009 Posts
do the + mod if the frequent mods section. Basicly wiring a relay to power the coils which boosts the primary side voltage going to the coil which in turn puts a huge boost in the output going to the plugs. Cheep and simple to do its in the grounding and plus mod there is a schematic.

·
Registered
1,092 Posts
pork when i changed plugs i noticed a pretty nice difference, go ahead and swap em out with some NGK irridiums, got em from napa for like $19.00 for two. i think they were 8 or 9EK's

·
Registered
1,442 Posts
I would also clean the fuel pickup screen or replace it if I were you (if the TLR has one)

·
Registered
2,920 Posts
+1 on the irridiums and replacement of filter before you put it back together

1 - 13 of 13 Posts