TLZone Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2,665 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, I'm loving my TLR right now even when it starts getting a little colder and more wet. Because of the wet I had a near-get-off last week which thought me 2 things. Sliding and drifting is way cool! second: I could easily have knackered covers, radiators, fueltank etc!

Because cars are pretty damn exspensive to have and use maybe it's time to get me a tool to get around in the winter days! Always liked motards, especially since I drove a 610te for a few hours! I really like the agility, lightweight, thumping, crash surviving, simple bikes (lack of electric gizmos)

What more do you want? Well I really like to know how you al think of realiability! I've heared a lot of stories about those older Husq's being very unreliable, hard to get parts etc. And of course these thumpers need often valve-checks en oil changes, I can live with that. Except when it is really TOO often. Or when I need to replace piston every year. Currently I'm looking at a Yamaha YZ400F motard from '99. Any thoughts about riding such a bike through winter? How realiable are different brands usually?

Any input from experiance and so on welcome!

·
Premium Member
24,892 Posts
I think the motard (or even a dual sport bike) is a great idea:thumbup

The TE610 is super low maintence compared to the YZF - the YZF is made to be a race machine and folks typically change oil every race and check valves every 10 hours of operation or so. Its a good solid bike but very different from a street bike or big enduro based bike like the KTM LC4 or husqvarna TE610 both in terms of performance, maintence and longivity. It would be a great weekend toy but not something I'd want to commute on or use for longer trips.

Overall, the SM610 would be my top pic for a street motard. Don't know what I'd do for a race tard probably a converted MX bike or an SMR450. Its a lot heavier and more tame than a 450cc race bike but also more relaxed and street worthy.

Standard a YZF doesn't have lights or a system that could power them, its also kick start only and has a close ratio 5spd trans. All perfect for a race bike but a pita on the street. Think of it like a really modded out DRZ400 in terms of performance/maintence and such stuff.

oh, the YZF and all the other major MX race bikes do not have counter ballancers and tend to vibrate a fair bit.

have fun

·
Premium Member
24,892 Posts
About as much as the newer ones from my casual observation of folks that race them. How much valve work varries greatly depending on the ride just like street bikes. Folks who spend most of their time well below the rev limiter do quite well. When the YZF first came out the only people who bought them for the most part were die-hard four stroke guys (this was back when four strokes were weird and considered a disadvantage). They tended to maintain them really well and didn't rev them to the moon. Once thumpers became main streem and folks who grew up on 125cc two strokes hopped on them valve train issues begain to show up. Realize that a lot of MX racers keep the throttle quite open in the air over jumps and just let it bounce off the rev limiter untill they come back down. Folks who gently trail ride them go years without doing anything more than oil/filter changes. As far as the racing four strokes go the YZF is quite good but its still a whole different ball game than a four stroke intended for street use. Its a well made bike for sure, you just have to keep in mind what it was intended for.

·
Registered
2,665 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanx for your input Pilot!

But I think the Yam I'm looking at is a streetable (enduro?) bike because there's electrics on and a plate! I'll try to get some more info from the seller.. about how the state is and what maintenance it requires! Someone even compared the yam to crf! And we all know Honda has reputation to be pretty damn reliable..

I've just heared from someone else who would never buy a 610! A friend of mine had one which wasn't exactly maintenance free. He even changed oil every 600miles or so.. Then again, it was from '96 and he bought it fairly cheap..

Maybe these bikes have changed a lot over the years? gotten better and so on?

·
Premium Member
24,892 Posts
A 96 610 is a totally different bike than the newer (00 + I think) motors. The previous version was very race oriented, didn't even have an oil pump or an oil filter. The newer version are made for street use and don't require much maintence. The old ones weren't bad, just not intended for every day street use.

The YZF should be at least as reliable and similar in maintence as a CRF but both are very high maintence for an every day street machine.

I really don't think you'll like the work it would take to make a motocross race bike work for every day street use, they just aren't intended for that. If your going to use it for a bit of weekend fun and SM racing then a MX based bike is perfect but for everday use your better off with an enduro-based machine imho. Something like a Husqvarna 610, KTM LC4, yamaha XT660, Honda XR650R etc would be drastically less work.

·
Registered
80 Posts
He Loki,

If you want a reliable street tard you could also go for a Yam TTR.
Check my thread. "Madmike goes supermoto"
I traded this for my TLS and got some money my way.
very nice bike and there is not that much that can break like radiator oil cooler and so on it's kick only bike so no complicated electical wiring as well

·
Moderator,
14,795 Posts
drz 400 just ride not much maintenance and like madmike said TTR600

·
Premium Member
24,892 Posts
:stupid The big XR would be an awsome choice:hail

1 - 10 of 10 Posts