TLZone Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
769 Posts
I had an early RD400 fitted with Ian Dyson full race kit in yellow, it had micron expansion chambers fitted and when wound up it made me as a 17 year old i grin like a good un,

it was a pain in the arse when it rained tho, as i had to carry a can of wd40 to get rid of the rain around the plug leads, it would pop and fart then all of a sudden it would clear and launch itself :laugh

from that i went to 350 ypvs then RD500. love em :hail

·
Registered
233 Posts
They are fun bikes, a lot of people tinker with them. I am a bit biased, as I have about a half dozen in bits. If you are after that one, I wouldn't go much farther than 2 grand though ... and his asking price is 3500. But that's just me.

·
Registered
1,530 Posts
My buddy used to race one years ago in the Florida grand prix. He had about 90hp with careful building and tuning. It was so on the ragged edge in terms of pre-mix ratio, compression, port timing and jetting that if he didn't adjust jetting to suite changing weather conditions, it would blow up.....:laugh

·
Registered
2,684 Posts
I've "blown up" a few 2-strokes in my time:devious What makes them great is they are so easy to rebuild: and back when I was 16, cheap:). I graduated to a GSX1100 when I was 17:devious, and never looked back; literally:lol

·
Registered
1,156 Posts
I've got a RZ350 nessled into the frame of an RGV250. As for the tuning thing, yep borderline is when the run best. Right after they blow is typically followed by the statement "she was running the best she's ever ran before". :lol:

·
Registered
13,114 Posts
iused to have the 350 and I raced an earlier model too.

that thing you posted is a POS. (imo)

I know of no factory chambers.

so much of the bike is missing its hardly worth anything.

no guards no instruments , who gives a damn if he bought new grips this season.

pass this one over , there are some real gems out there.

·
Registered
2,684 Posts
If, as he says, he has all the bits to put it back to stock, it wouldn't be too bad:O Although the way he worded that last bit is a bit iffy. You'd have to find out more....I'd pay $1500 or so of your $$ to own it, with the OEM bits.

·
Registered
233 Posts
iused to have the 350 and I raced an earlier model too.

that thing you posted is a POS. (imo)

I know of no factory chambers.

so much of the bike is missing its hardly worth anything.

no guards no instruments , who gives a damn if he bought new grips this season.

pass this one over , there are some real gems out there.
Yeah, there are no "factory chambers", but the expansion chambers on that bike are made by Factory Performance Pipes (FPP) with stingers in place of the cans. I have two sets of those for a 350 sitting in my brother's garage for his RD350. Nice pipes, sound great with no big "hit" in the powerband, pretty smooth.

·
Premium Member
745 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I e-mailed the guy and he said he has all of the original parts for the bike. He is going to e-mail me some more pics. I will post them as well.

·
Registered
3,241 Posts
1 - 14 of 14 Posts