TLZone Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Pygmy looking for a new name
14,150 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
20 inch or 6 foot cable? Seems as though the 20 inch would be sufficient but the 6 foot would give you more options, like mounting in/on the tail. What have you guys who have them found from your experience to be better?

·
Will ride for Food
697 Posts
I have the 6 ft cable and I have it mounted less than 20" away....

·
Super Mod,
3,568 Posts
20" cable and wish it was 21" sometimes. :laugh

Mounted here...

·
Registered
2,650 Posts
The shorter cable works fine for me on my Michron. No pics, but my display unit is mounted on the upper triple clamp & the pickup unit is mounted on the top of the side fairing. I would kind of keep away from mounting stuff on the tail so you can do a quick double check on stuff just before you roll out. The display unit has a tendency to turn itself off if it gets no signal for a few minutes so I like for it to be easily accessible even though I never look at it while I am out on track. Usually I forget it is still on when I roll in so I like that shut off feature! I think a 30" cable would be nice for more mounting options but 6' is way, way overkill IMHO.

·
14,150 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I'm only looking at mounting the receiver on the tail, not the display.

·
Registered
1,876 Posts

·
14,150 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Nice, does anyone know if the units will sense the beacon's from other systems? IE, do they just look for the IR beam? I'm probably going with XT and will get my own beacon, but if Doug shows up I know he'll have his and it's probably just easier if we all have the same timers.

·
Registered
1,876 Posts
i was under the impression they all work with an IR beam.. just need someone to bring one beacon to the party :)

·
Upside Down Super Mod,
29,855 Posts
Other beacons might trigger the XT. I know my panasonic TV remote does :laugh But there is some coding as you can set the beacon as a master or split. If you had more then one you set one as the master for lap times, but you can have others around the track for split times.

·
Registered
2,650 Posts
One beacon works for all the timers. There was a time when other people would walk out to the hot pit wall, set up their lap timer beacons (without asking of course) & turn around & walk away. I would have to turn them off as there was already a beacon out there which would screw up the lap times everyone got. Then at the end of the day the person never showed up to pick up their beacon. Thanks. We had a nice little collection going for awhile & I decided to watch those people early in the day & intercept them by riding out to various parts of the hot pit lane on my mountain bike to get them to stop doing it. See lots of different lap timers out there being used but the one old style AIM Motorsports beacon (the guys that make the Michron timers) is what we use & it works for all of them.

·
Registered
8,965 Posts
Speaking of lap timers and beacons, my Aim Mychron light shuts down on me a lot, seems to be a vibration issue. Or is there a setting I am doing wrong makin it shutdown?

Also Jasen, I will sell you my other beacon stand for $40.00.

it's the one on the right, holds beacon and battery. So you can carry it on a pit bike :coocoo

1 - 11 of 11 Posts