TLZone Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys,

I ordered a replacement air filter for my 1999 TL1000RW (registered 1999).

The filter that arrived does not fit the bike. I checked on google and a few suppliers, all of whom showed the filter that arrived.

The one fitted to the bike is a different shape. The new filter and all the ones I can find on the net are an oblong shape with all straight sides and I think 5 mounting holes.

The one on my bike is a curvy shape with a larger area towards the rear going to an oblong shape at the front and about 10 screw points.

I assume what is fitted is correct for the bike, as the air box fits the frame, throttle bodies, has the two vacuum actuators (although disabled and box is modded).

Any idea on who might supply the type fitted?

I'll try to get some photo's if required tomorrow.

In addition, I just looked at the owners manual, and the filter shown is the same that arrived today, not what is fitted to the bike. :-/ hmmmmm

Regards,

Phil

·
Adrenaline Junky
2,688 Posts
The one on my bike is a curvy shape with a larger area towards the rear going to an oblong shape at the front and about 10 screw points.
http://www.team-****wit.co.uk/Pictures/Billy/airfilter.jpg

Like that?

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yes, thats what I have fitted to my bike, I can't seem to find a new one anywhere. Everywhere I have checked only sells the smaller straight one.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Also, where could I get a new set of foam seals that fit between the frame and airbox? Mine have disintegrated.

·
Registered
260 Posts
K&N and BMC style replacement filters - OEM airbox baseplate required;

Pipercross filter - OEM airbox baseplate is removed from the airbox:

·
Registered
260 Posts
Pipercross filters are available on ebay UK for about 70-80 of the monetary units they use there. (My USA keyboard doesn't have the "L" with squiggly line thru it.)

·
Registered
13,113 Posts
dont be fooled by the size of an airfilter.

its the surface area and the "flow rate" of the material vs the particle size it stops.

the OEM paper filters are VERY efficient.
the folded paper is a very good filter and the folds increase the surface area.

some aftermarket ones flow poorly and tho they are larger may not have the same actual surface area.

and if you are worried about the size......the size really only has to be the area of the throttle bodies if it could filter unrestricted.

Some of what is appealing to buyers is based in misconception. And that is often deliberate marketing by manufacturers

Reactions: rxf610

·
Registered
13,113 Posts
also it s the portion of the filter that lies between the intake of the air box and the intake of the throttle bodies that does most of the work.

Air is a strange bedfellow. It takes the most direct route .

if it were an open to atmosphere filter with a large plenum beneath then it would be entirely different

·
Registered
260 Posts
I believe it is more about obtaining an even flow over the widest real estate. Because the venturis are close to the filter membrane, a large filter will smooth airflow and allow the venturis to function as such.

·
Registered
13,113 Posts
I believe it is more about obtaining an even flow over the widest real estate. Because the venturis are close to the filter membrane, a large filter will smooth airflow and allow the venturis to function as such.
only in a large plenum air box

re-read what I wrote

·
Registered
13,113 Posts
I can lick my eyebrows and breathe thru my ears

1 - 20 of 21 Posts