TLZone Forums banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
W

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hiya fellas,

so i went ahead and bought the KLX650R last night, and drive it to my garage. Only 20 miles, so no adventure stories :laugh

i kickstarted it myself, took me three kicks (and a few guys laughing around me and saying i should eat more beef :rotfl) to get the technique somewhat right, and i kicked it again for a forth time and it started :D

i stalled it in the city, at a traffic jam, because i was fiddling with the idle controller...so i had to kick it again, with ten traffic coppers looking at me :laugh ... 2nd kick lucky this time :)

It feels much lighter than my husky 610 SMS i had before, it also feels as fast. Little bit more agressive i'd say. Steering is superlight, and the seat is very very tall, but that's fun in the city. Sound is good, not too loud when you're putting along, and quite a big thunder when you open her up :)

here's the bike:

gonna do quite a few things to it in the coming days: swap the front tire with a diablo front i have lying around, mount some mirrors and turn signals and brake light, and give it some TLC because it needs a little. oilchange, filtercheck, good cleanup, ...

yee-haw!

·
Registered
4,745 Posts
What that?

"Ruby come on over and ride it"? :laugh

Looks good :thumbup

·
Premium Member
24,892 Posts
Sweet:thumbup

·
Pygmy looking for a new name
14,150 Posts
Just curious....why did you choose to get rid of the Husky?

·
Upside Down Super Mod,
29,855 Posts
Title should be "wreckah buys a KLX650R and Steve turns green".

You tards make me jealous. I'm just not in the position to have two bikes right now. :(

W

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
i got rid of the husky to buy a bike for my ex-gf. (cagiva rap 650)

sold that bike to her, sold the white racer in bits, and now i have a SM again :) The husky was the only bike i ever missed after i sold it.

i would have gotten another husky, but they're too expensive right now over here, and i just wanted a winterbike to keep my V-rap off the salty streets :thumbup

i'm so sorry steve, but if you come over here, i'll let you ride it ;) and ruby too offcourse :devious (by the way, both bikes i have right now are cheap bikes! 1800 EUR for the tard and 3500 EUR for the v-rap...not even close to the price of one newish sportsbike :) )

P

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Oh yeah!!

nice going.
4 kicks to get the feeling for it!!
Impressive!! :hail
Remind me that you have to try my XR next time you ride past... :laugh

Sure is great sitting that high in city trafic!!
and then lane splitting to the front and at green ligth leave the cages in the dust with a nice wheelie of the line!!

(OK, so I don't do that to often, but it's fun never the less...)
I rode a hour this weekedn, but it's getting a bit chilly to ride wihtout a fairing, or some winter gear.

I see the cain needs some tender love.
And the cain eats some on the rear tire :yes
Don't worry, Ive lost 5mm on my rear tire from my old used up chain...

Not sure what chain lube you use, but I really prefere the silicone (sp?) based over the vax based. The vax based will make the entire rear one big luube area... :rolleyes:
:confused Ive forgot the brand of the one I use. I'll have a check when I get home. Of all the brands Ive tested (a few....) this stands out as premium. It's not even much more expensive than the rest of the crapp...

·
Pygmy looking for a new name
14,150 Posts
Ok, good to know. I'm considering a Husky, it's on the long list of bikes I want and I figured I'd find out if there was something you were unhappy about it. Good to know you liked it so much.

·
Premium Member
24,892 Posts
Jasen, just FYI, the husqvarna Jan had was the previous generation - they current ones use the same basic engine (but with a bit more power) but the rest of the bike is totally different (and ~35lbs lighter). I think the previous generation was a bit more comfortable, but the current gen slimmer and flatter - more like a MX bike.

have fun

·
Moderator,
14,795 Posts
And I thought U had joined the fags of Belgium :laugh

Nice tard W :thumbup guess U will have lots of fun with it :hail

W

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
so,

i did an oil/filterchange yesterday, it was about time too :rolleyes not too much oil came out :rolleyes

cleaned and reoiled the mousse airfilter,
mounted bar-end mirrors,
mounted bicycle speedo,
gave the bike a good wash (boy it really cleans up well, love the wheels!),
cleaned and lubed the chain (yes it was necessary :yes),
bled the front brake,
tightened the exhaust bolts (which were loose)

and then i took her for a spin, well, i thought i was, because it took me 30 times to kick it this time :banghead :laugh gotta figure out the tecnique still. I have to be very precise where to start kicking, it fires up when i kick just a tiny bit after compression. One cm further and it won't fire. :) gotta wear boots too, with normal shoes it hurts, and you can't kick that hard :laugh

now it's just the blinker setup, and the tail from baja designs, and i'm in business. :thumbup

J

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
"gotta figure out the tecnique still."

yep, that's the tech, you have to search for the compression, then let it over it with half compression lever(if it has one), then let the kickstart to come up to full up position and kick it with confidence. no hesitation or it can kick back.

W

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
haha! you got that right, what was kawi thinking when they came up with the purple/green combo :rotfl

so, what i did yesterday:

- removed airbox lid for more breathing
- installed a complete blinkerset, and it worked the first time around! (great victory for me, because i suck with electrics) I got to choose out of 4 pairs of blinkers i have cillected in the last couple of years :laugh i also had a TLS turn signal flasher, and i bought a 10$ turn signal switch from Hein Gericke. wired everything up a la TLS wiring diagram, hooked it up on the 12V circuit, and it worked :)
- found out that there is indeed a brake light switch on this bike, but the wiring was wrong. Did some repairing and i have a brake light now :)
- got a mail from baja designs saying that shipping is 80$ (for a 50$ item) :scared so i'm not going that route. I'll fab a licenseplate hanger myself.

J

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
" removed airbox lid for more breathing"

you have to add bigger jets, or at least open up the idle screw. I started the FMX and let it idle for awhile, and started to wonder why the exhaust is starting to glow red. I had forgotten that I had removed the airfilter.! put it back and it's fine now.

It also lost lot of low rev area torque, because it went lean, if I flipped the throttle, it didn't pick up revs, but was getting too much air.

·
Premium Member
24,892 Posts
Looking great Jan:thumbup

1 - 20 of 23 Posts