TLZone Forums banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
380 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Seeing as how I apparently am not able to learn from my mistakes, I manage to burn myself on my exhaust header somehow every year :coocoo

I'm thinking about wrapping it, any tips or other ideas?

·
Moderator,
8,236 Posts
The first thing I can think of would be for you to stop touching your hot exhaust. :laugh

·
Registered
442 Posts
i wraped mine from he the exhaust can to all most all the way to the rear header....didnt think that i could get the header bolts off is the only reason i didnt do them, wish i had....but i just picked up some thermol-tech exhaust wrap and some c-clamps, used them so if i ever took it off it would leave the sticky ass sealer on my M4 headers and mid pipe....looks good on mine...i also got the black wrap...

·
Registered
8,379 Posts
in this pic, my buddie's old bike (the blue/white, next to my old tiller) has its headers wrapped. made a big difference in temp, and didnt look that bad IMHO :O

·
Registered
744 Posts
I think it might be a good idea to wrap the pipe on the rear cylinder where it passes the damper - stock or Maxton. Keeps heat from the damper.
There seemed to be issues with corrosion on wrapped pipes ? Any info ?
I know that stainless is OK unless in a situation that excludes air from its surface.:O

·
Registered
64 Posts
I was thinking of wrapping mine at one time and I have had some friends do it with good results. I know not very helpful but I have never heard anythind bad about it other than cosmetics.

·
Registered
580 Posts
If you plan to wrap the exhaust make sure you get the wrap wet before wrapping. It will stay nice and tight. Other than that there is this other stuff. I can't remember the name but it is made up of lava rocks. I saw it in a motorcycle mag. I can't remember which one. Come to think of it I am not a whole lot of help.

·
Registered
13,114 Posts
what about some nice stainless heat shields .maybe with punched holes and mounted with some stainless straps

·
Registered
1,108 Posts
You're talking about wrapping the stock stainless system correct?

I posted a question about wrapping my TiForce exhaust (thin-wall titanium front-to-back) on my racebike, and was soundly and emphatically advised against doing that.

·
Registered
90 Posts
Well here is my .02 cents for what its worth. I have a full M4 stainless exhaust system that I am going to wrap my headers and mid pipe in black exhaust wrap. Then I am going to place some aluminum heat shielding inside of my fairings. I took my bike out for the first time the other day. Gosh that thing gets HOT with some heat.

·
Registered
90 Posts
Hey King have you also considered Jet Coating? It will help cut down on the heat but i am not for sure if it will work on stainless headers.

·
Registered
156 Posts
Two words, ceramic coating. Wrap is nasty stuff and even with stainless systems there are problems with corrosion.

·
Upside Down Super Mod,
29,855 Posts
Seeing as how I apparently am not able to learn from my mistakes, I manage to burn myself on my exhaust header somehow every year :coocoo

I'm thinking about wrapping it, any tips or other ideas?
How? Riding in shorts? Touching it with your hand?

·
Registered
380 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
How? Riding in shorts? Touching it with your hand?
Just a couple of days ago I was fiddling with the rear suspention and managed to graze it ever so slightly with my wrist :banghead Ive got this awesome bright red mark now.

·
Registered
15 Posts
There's a lot of info out there about wrapping exhausts...something to do with keeping the gases hotter, keeping the density of the gases down and improving gas speed to improve the scavenge effect on the cylinder on the exhaust stroke. It all sounded good until I read about the same heat not being drawn away from the cylinder head fast enough, which could lead to other problems, notably a loss in power and/or possible detonation as the exhaust port and valve couldn't cool fast enough.
May be worth a bit more investigation before going for it in a big way...just an idea.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts