TLZone Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
2,825 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The only bike I truley lusted after, worked very hard to purchase, put a lot of blood sweat and tears into might be on it's way out the door. I'm stuck with quite a delima. Bikes have always been a true passion in my life. Ever since I can remember I have pointed, stared and drooled over everyone elses bikes. But this most recent bike has brought me to a new path in my life. Making things. I don't think I would have this fasicination if I rode a GSXR. The TL just screams make me different. That's what I did and now I cannot stop.

A friend called me a few days ago and said he knows of a very nice lathe and sheet metal brake for sale. I cannot afford it with my current employment status, but I do have some assets. The most easy to turn into money is the TL. It would be more than enough money for the lathe and brake. So that means more equipment.

Something I really think seriously about every day is turning my fabrication addiction into a full time gig. Right now I don't have all the tools I need and I get stuck doing mostly repair jobs. But people see my work on the bike and always ask me to do it to their bike. If I had the tools, I'd take every person up on that offer.

Now the delima, sell the bike and buy some equipment. Or keep the bike and slowly aquire the tools you need. The soon to be wife keeps talking me out of selling the bike. I know I will never make back the money I have sunk into it, but the alternatives sounds quite enticing.

What would you do? Go from your TL to a beaten and battered Katana with the possibility of fulfilling a dream? Or ride your TL and keep thinking about what you want to do?

I have a hard time sleeping at night with these thoughts weighing on my mind. I know I will have another bike, probably a 'Busa, but do I part with my baby.

Think I could get $7000 for her? 23,000 miles with about 10,000 on a rebuild. Plenty of goodies and one off items. Won't ever find another bike like it at your local bike night. People come to you to find out what makes that beautiful racket.

·
Registered
2,690 Posts
Beautiful bike mate, but ............ Live your dream :)

If you dont have a go at that dream, you will always wonder what may have been :dowhat

Its a bike - a beautiful one at that, but if your dream is fulfilled, just imagine the next TL you could build :devious

Hope that helps

Beaza

·
Registered
2,678 Posts
i think you could get 5500 for it.(no offense) It takes a special person to buy a tl, especially when there are newer faster bikes out there for the same price.

are you sure you would want to make your hobby your job? they say never to make a career out of something that you love to do, because then youll grow to not like it anymore. But, on the flipside im only 22 so i prolly have no idea what im talking about.

That is a hard decision, but if you do decide to go through with it i would try to get a combo lathe/mill. There is only so much you can do with soley a lathe.

J

·
0 Posts
people like to look at specials, but they are not that willing to buy those.

probably very hard to get $7000.

JT

·
Moderator,
2,701 Posts
I doubt you pull 55oo from it either. I know your position I have priced my bike in pieces and still dont come up with enough to part. Although It has been on my mind almost everday for months. Problem is the bikes are getting old, they were dead sellers back when they were made, you can hardly find new parts. And every single 600 out there makes the power with better equipment for just a few $ more and have every aftermarket accesory at the touch of a finger from about any website.

·
Registered
11,001 Posts
...just get a small business loan if your going to be making money at this...

·
Registered
1,380 Posts
or get a job somewhere where you can do some extra work after hours.:devious
You'll learn more fab tips as well.

·
Registered
945 Posts
i agree

the ONLY reason i am still working where i am right now is cos i can come in on saturday mornings and use the tools (lathe, mill, drill press etc)

i would keep the TL, and if u need stuff done that requires a mill or lathe then just get a machine shop to build it to your design
i find that if i have the design all sorted out and they dont have to think then their prices will be very competitive

also have you go three-phase power?
cos most industrial lathes will need it, and if u dont have it then u will need to get someone to install it and that = more $$$
then there is upkeep on the lathe, getting tips for the tools etc

but if u seriously think you can make money out of it
then i seriously think that there is NOTHING wrong with owning an old katana

·
Chief Moderator for my kids Julia & Kristen,
5,503 Posts
The soon to be wife keeps talking me out of selling the bike.
Now that is a good woman :hail

Don't sell it. As others have said, you are not going to be able to pull that much money out of it and this is a terrible time of the year to sell a bike.

I would not go into debt to buy the tools you are after either. Try to find a way to ease into it over time.

·
Registered
1,191 Posts
fengler said:
they say never to make a career out of something that you love to do, because then youll grow to not like it anymore.
I disagree COMPLETELY with this! Most people dream about doing something that they love for a living, and very few people have the opportunity/balls to go after it. I say go for it! If the sums add up, just do it! People who's dreams come true, are the ones that made them happen. Don't wake up one day and think that you didn't go for your dream because of a $5k bike that you can replace at almost anytime in the future :coocoo

1 - 13 of 13 Posts