TLZone Forums banner

Wot I saw today - The Exeter Trial

3K views 7 replies 6 participants last post by  tartanterror 
#1 ·
Today my youngest son and I went to see one of the stages of the Exeter Trial - Simm's Hill - generally regarded as one of the most spectacular of the event, which has been running since 1910 ......

More Info can be found here - http://www.themotorcyclingclub.org.uk/events/exeter.htm but it's basically a reliability trial for all sorts of vehicles (though not 4wd) on a mixture of public highways, unmettled roads, and special stages

And my album is here - http://www.facebook.com/album.php?aid=315199&id=648291943

See less See more
#2 ·
Looks like good entertainment.

Did the Robin end up on its side? :laugh

What's a reliability trial?

#4 ·
The reliant was actually the first "car" to make it up :dowhat

The event is not a race, as such, but a measure of performance and time. There are checkpoints all around the route, and observed sections. you have to arrive at each control point a set time from the previous - minutes either way mean points added/deducted. In the observed sections the vehicle has to make constant forward progress between the start and finish controls. Stopping or falling back means failing the section and no points. The trial starts in three separate locations, with each group meeting at one central control point, and from then on they all follow the same route to the finish. they left the individual start points after tea on Friday, then left the central concentration point at midnight Friday. There's a breakfast stop at about 08.00, and the first competitors arive at the finish from about 14.30 onwards ....... so some are on the go for the best part of 24hrs with minimal rest, whatever the weather ..... :hail

#5 ·
Interesting. Somewhat like an enduro or ralley but with more doable times and no special sections I think. Don't think I'd be too good at that. I mostly just wind the throttle back and hold on tight when off road :laugh

#6 ·
Loving the Plastic Pig!! and the classics too. Nice album.

#7 ·
My dad usually passengers for a guy in a ford prefect, he decided it's getting too far to travel this year as they drive down from York, do the trail and drive back :laugh

Great Pics, some determination on there faces :)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.