TLZone Forums banner
1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
No Likey No Spiders
6,412 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Yeah here we go again.

Spent last Friday in agony while testing out a high count copper cable in a secure area. Had to be scheduled 48 hours out to get access so pain or no pain I had to be there.

Spent the next few hours biting holes in my lip and then the pain just stops.
Having been down this road before 'm thinking :doug it finally passed. Hours later round 2 kicks in. That's a sucker punch to get 2 in a row but it has happened to me before so I just brace for the pain and have the weekend off so I can roll with whatever comes. Spent the whole weekend in what felt like the passing of one stone after the other. Finally around 10pm Sunday I'm pain free. Oddly enough none of the stones actually passed through my urine so I still had that part to look forward to by at least 5 times I figured.

Wake up Monday morning in agony at 4am. Spent the new few hours doing Lamaze type breathing to get through the on again / off again bursts of pain. then it hits me.............the mother load of pain that I've never felt before. That was followed by instant vomiting and near loss of consciousness, I was coherent enough to say ambulance before I was hit with it again.

In ambulance they shoot me up with something that starts with a P that's supposed to kick morphine's ass. It didn't do anything. They call the ER for permission to give morphine - it was granted and also didn't do shit. They call again and are allowed another shot of morphine. It only made me puke which triggered even more pain from the convulsive nature of it.

I get a CT scan and they say something like a stone bigger than 6mm and it's 75% through it's trip to the bladder and they don't see it going any further because it was too big. So basically I was trying to pass that one stone since Friday and now I needed surgery. I told them that I'd suck it up and go pass it at home since it was already 75% passed according to them. They told me I was crazy and I blamed it on the morphine.

Anyways a few hours after I got home it got really bad again to the point that I'm starting to wonder where I put the ammo for the gun. I get a ride back to the ER and they schedule surgery for the next day and they admitted me. Spent the rest of the night and half the next day getting morphine every 2 hours and vicodin for the migraine that I developed I think from too much morphine. :banghead

So anyways - the surgery was successful but they had to put a stint (sp?) in because the exploding if the stone caused other damage and they needed to keep my ureter open so I can pass all the bits. I just said okay like I understood what they were saying but really had no clue about what it was until I took a shower this morning and due to shrinkage I noticed a few nylon strings sticking out of mini me. I thought it was a string from the towel so I pulled. Then I puked and fell down on the floor in the bathroom in tears thinking what a great movie scene that would have made. Needless to say I now know all about stints and the strings attached to them. :laugh

They released me last night and it's been great having a week off from work but it would have been greater without the pain part.

I gotta say I'm really looking forward to getting this stint out because it sucks having the strings poking out every time I catch a chill. But it's gotta stay in for another 2 weeks I'm told.:(

The kids were great for me at the hospital and their mother was there as well, even though I can't much stand her it was really assuring to have someone there to take care of things that I wasn't able to do - Like getting the kids shuttled back and forth and telling the nurse it was morphine time when they were more than a few minutes over due.

Yes Del - one of my nurses was hot and my middle daughter Heather made sure to keep telling me within earshot of her that she thinks my Nurse is hitting on me and it would be cool if her dad was dating a nurse. We'll see how that works out later when I can see through the medicine cloud that I'm stuck in now.

The best part is that I still have several more stones in each kidney that we will be working on controlling through medication but a few of them are in the 4mm size range so I may have another surgery before this is all brought down to a manageable state.
So has anyone else had a week as shitty as mine? I really hope not.

·
Registered
4,052 Posts
wow... sorry to hear your episode. and thanks for the warning of the Stint strings. I laughed sooo damn hard just about pissed myself. I could only imagine the pain you endured tugging on that lil "string". So this means you'll be drinking LOTS of water from now i would imagine eh?? Best of luck with the rest of the lil fellas! :cheers

·
Registered
4,052 Posts
I think Rednecktwin might have a saga that just might make you feel better... have you read his "story"?

·
Registered
11,780 Posts
Shit Moto, Thats some bad luck dude. Hope you get better soon mate.
The strings bit, sounds like it should have been in a American Pie film :laugh

Just watch where you point little you, or you'll shoot the nurses when you sneeze :laugh

·
No Likey No Spiders
6,412 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
wow... sorry to hear your episode. and thanks for the warning of the Stint strings. I laughed sooo damn hard just about pissed myself. I could only imagine the pain you endured tugging on that lil "string". So this means you'll be drinking LOTS of water from now i would imagine eh?? Best of luck with the rest of the lil fellas! :cheers
That's my mission with these stories of personal agony - to bring joy to the reader. :laugh

yes lots of water and oddly enough real lemonade is suggested.:)

·
Pygmy looking for a new name
14,150 Posts
Dude, I gotta admit, I laughed and cried in agony at the same time reading that. It did put my week into perspective though.

·
Registered
4,052 Posts

·
No Likey No Spiders
6,412 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Shit Moto, Thats some bad luck dude. Hope you get better soon mate.
The strings bit, sounds like it should have been in a American Pie film :laugh

Just watch where you point little you, or you'll shoot the nurses when you sneeze :laugh
That's the pisser right there (pun intended) because I have a date with a MILF tomorrow night. I really don't want to cancel it but I also don't want to be writing any more entertainment for you guys if it goes too well and I have string issues. :laugh

That being said I need to do a rain check on that one - hopefully she is understanding about it all. :)

·
Registered
671 Posts
duuuuuude, that sucks!! i feel your pain. i hope it all goes well for you. i gotta say my wife and i got a great laugh reading about the stint strings. i found i like dilaudid better than anything else for the pain. course, i don't remember much about anything. at leat you're back to work. i'm hoping to be back in another month or so. i've been off since november 19th:banghead

·
No Likey No Spiders
6,412 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
duuuuuude, that sucks!! i feel your pain. i hope it all goes well for you. i gotta say my wife and i got a great laugh reading about the stint strings. i found i like dilaudid better than anything else for the pain. course, i don't remember much about anything. at leat you're back to work. i'm hoping to be back in another month or so. i've been off since november 19th:banghead
Thanks man appreciate it and am happy that I brought joy to 2 more readers. :laugh

I wish you all the best with getting your own situation sorted out. I keep hearing people say that passing stones has been rated worse than childbirth on the pain scale but I have to say chronic back pain would trump it. Stones only last for a few hours at a time, back pain like yours lasts way too long . Keep your chin up and know that we're all pulling for you and your recovery. :)

·
Registered
230 Posts
Mate, I didn't know whether to laugh or cry - the stints were a classic! Had kidney stones myself some years ago while on holiday with a young family, spent hours on the floor of a caravan curled up in the foetal position crying like a baby - I know how it feels and have the utmost sympathy for you - hope things improve soon for you:)

·
Registered
11,918 Posts
Aww jeez dude - I'm all doubled up in my chair, protectively nursing Mr Happy, just thinking about that :eek
Just after I arrived in Japan, I had a stone in a saliva duct decide to make itself known ... face would swell up when eating but didn't hurt. Well, not till the doctor decided to try to squeeze it out the duct. Was the size of a popcorn kernel - had to chop open up the duct with a scalpel.
Now, something like that trying to get through Mr Happy? No thanks :puke

Much sympathy!

·
Registered
8,965 Posts
Damn Ed! I hope it gets better for you some time sir. I think you should get the MILF in on the recovery to help develop the pity response to improve the "ILF" portion. You can show her the strings unless you think she'll laugh. :lol

Even though you don't approve, I will include you in my prayers, Ed. Good luck with it. You know I have 2 bikes now, if you get some time this summer, we could let you out with us G-TSS folks.

I hope you get some relief for a while my friend.

·
No Likey No Spiders
6,412 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
That sounds like it would be fun Doug. Can't do the MILF thing tonight though unfortunately. Had some complications today and got admitted again. I'm not sure if I'll get out of here this weekend or not. :banghead

There was talk of removing the stint tomorrow so that's something to hold out hope for but on the other hand thanks to its placement I passed several other smaller stones today.

Thanks for the support everyone. :bawling

·
Chief Moderator for my kids Julia & Kristen,
5,503 Posts
Holy crap. Getting old is not for the faint of heart is it? :banghead

More sympathy and gratitude that is not me going through all that from this direction!

·
No Likey No Spiders
6,412 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Well it hasn't been too terrible other than the excrutating pain and vomiting. Just had a lovely nurse named Angie come steal more of my blood and a cool Jamaican got my IV changed out. Hospitals are kind of like airports and I like to people watch and enjoy the experience even if its not under the best of circumstances. I just saw a Sonic ad on the TV for a Texas toast style bacon egg and cheese sandwhich. Im trying to figure out how I can sneak out of here to go pick one up without having the IV cart give me away. :D

·
Registered
671 Posts
I just saw a Sonic ad on the TV for a Texas toast style bacon egg and cheese sandwhich. Im trying to figure out how I can sneak out of here to go pick one up without having the IV cart give me away. :D
that's where the milf comes in. during my last stay in san fran. my milf went out and got us filet minon (sp) for dinner. eating a $30 dinner in the room out of take out boxes was classic. best dinner i ever had though.

you know all those people that say "if you need anything just let me know" send'em on a food run.:devious i got to the point where the smell of the hospital food made me vomit.

take it easy mate. hope you get out soon!:)

1 - 20 of 33 Posts