TLZone Forums banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
No Likey No Spiders
6,412 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Best day of the week so far. :D

I changed jobs a little over a year ago to head the start up of a communications division for an existing electrical company. Even though I knew the same people in the industry and they liked me it still takes about eight months to get rolling again. I did it in less than three which was way cool.

Anyways business has been really good and it pissed my local competitors off to the point that they started scheming to see how they could take business away from me. No luck on their part as two of them shut their doors already.

About two months ago my strongest competitor actually had a meeting with his top people and said that he was going to put me out of business, had a strategy worked out and all that jazz.

I got the call today that he laid off almost all of his personnel and put a few on an on call basis. He also had a few of them come in today to start stripping logos off of his fleet of vehicles so he can get them ready for auction. Karma can be a real bitch sometimes! :bounce

Days like today make all the long hours worth while. Now I just have to see what I can do to help out the people that got laid off, there's a couple of them that are really good guys and I'll sleep better once I know they are employed again. :)

I hope your day has been as good as mine. :banana

·
Registered
11,780 Posts
Mine not so good, but I'll take comfort in knowing your looking out for the people your putting out of business.
Glad to hear your doing so well, its not good when your outta work.

Hope things only get better for you :thumbup
everyone deserves a little goodness to go they're way at the moment, I think we've all deserved it :laugh

·
Registered
5,699 Posts
good deal! sounds like you have been busy :banana

great when you enjoy your day. rand said 'how you spend your day is after all how you spend you life' :)

·
Registered
296 Posts
:thumbup sounds like business is good, and props to you for looking out for the the laid off folks.

I got a pretty good Tuesday going on too. Was able to sleep in, decided the need to go to my 1 class I had scheduled today was not necessary. Now I'm just relaxing and taking my time on my homework. The only way it could be better is if I didn't have any homework and I could go mod the TL :devious

·
Registered
8,965 Posts
You know, Ed didn't put them out of business, they had the same chance to do a better job and take away business, but clearly they focused on screwing Ed. Kharma is a fickle bitch who always gets her due. Good on you Ed for looking out for folks. Plus it doesn't hurt that you are a proper dickhead my friend. :lol

·
No Likey No Spiders
6,412 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
You know, Ed didn't put them out of business, they had the same chance to do a better job and take away business, but clearly they focused on screwing Ed. Kharma is a fickle bitch who always gets her due. Good on you Ed for looking out for folks. Plus it doesn't hurt that you are a proper dickhead my friend. :lol
LOL Doug - I do try my best. :lol

·
Registered
3,215 Posts
Wow. Looks like you have been truly blessed by.... uhhh.. no.. hang on.

;) Nice work mate

·
Registered
8,965 Posts
Well played Miles, good form, sir. :hail

Ed....blessed......:lol

·
Registered
3,215 Posts
Couldn't help myself. Sometimes it's funny to make light of the fact that both Ed and I are damned :O

·
Upside Down Super Mod,
29,859 Posts
Good going Ed.:thumbup

(Very good too Miles :laugh)

·
Premium Member
8,251 Posts

·
Premium Member
11,457 Posts
Hey Ed, if I quit my job and come down there, could you pay be at least 40K and train me?

I hate computer stuff now. I'm thinking of making a change to make some real money.

Perhaps after I learn the business I could start a Central VA branch.

·
No Likey No Spiders
6,412 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Hey Ed, if I quit my job and come down there, could you pay be at least 40K and train me?

I hate computer stuff now. I'm thinking of making a change to make some real money.

Hey Del, my lowest man makes $60k if he shows up to work every day and there's steady contract work.

But for that rate we don't train anyone........it's more like be ready to be put to the test or cya later gator. :laugh

·
No Likey No Spiders
6,412 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·

Hey Del, my lowest man makes $60k if he shows up to work every day and there's steady contract work.

But for that rate we don't train anyone........it's more like be ready to be put to the test or cya later gator. :laugh

The thing that you have to remember though is when dealing with government contract work - it's either Feast or Famine. I've just been lucky to be feasting a lot. :)

·
Premium Member
11,457 Posts
See your saving 20K already. I already know cat five cabling. Need the fiber experience among what ever else.

·
No Likey No Spiders
6,412 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
See your saving 20K already. I already know cat five cabling. Need the fiber experience among what ever else.

I / we haven't touched cat 5 in about 7 years on base. All cat 6....same animal though, well it was until a few months back. We've been experimenting with stuff that was so fast that we couldn't even test it - had to fork out $8K for something that could.

Now we're putting in enhanced systems that the local DOIM can't even perform a QC on because they don't have the equipment to do it with. :laugh

Fiber is a biggie, the black ops guys don't really take kindly to people not being able to finish their projects on time since they do rehearsals - not training so the shit has to work and it has to work now.

You may want to look into BICSI fiber courses in your area. Once you get over the heart attack of the cost the real fun starts, well not really but it is a requirement.

Haven't even mentioned OSP copper, lots of aerial and underground, anything from 6 pair up to 2400 pairs at a time, super binder groups will make your head spin sometimes.

If you are serious Del I can probably recommend a course of action for you to get some more knowledge under your belt.

Also the scale that we pay is regulated meaning we have to pay it so I couldn't save 20K on you. :laugh

·
Premium Member
11,457 Posts
bummer, trying to get on the job training you know.

Same problem here in Systems Administration.

Guess I'll have to shell out for courses one way or another eventually.

Send me the course information. I just might look into it.

Here I'll need my MCSA, MCSE to come close to making 60K.

Of course if I live up North a ways I'd be banking 80K with what I already know.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts