TLZone Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
515 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Okay, yesterday, I went to start my bike in the morning 0700hrs about 58 dgrees and a little dampness in the air nothing major at all. Anyway went turned the key, fuel prims and I press the starter button. Battery seemed a little low but the start goes like normal and the motor rotates and starts for a millisecond then dies. Press the button again and nothing but rotating engine (no fire). After about 2 or 3 times of pressing the starter button the battery is practically dead.

But here'e the mystery. I got home that evening 1800hrs and went out to check on the bike and I put the key in, turn the power on, fuel prims and press the starter button, and she fires right up, 1st time, and the battery seemed perfectly fine.

WHAT THE HELL IS GOING ON????????!!!!!!!!

by the way, the fairing (and everything with it (air tubes,, screen, etc...radiator filler is zip tied to the frame) is off because I'm working on the bike

·
Registered
3,648 Posts
i'd say your battery is on the way out, or needs a good charge. they always have less power when cold.

·
Registered
8,379 Posts
sounds like just a bad battery :O

it starts at night because it's still warm and the batt just had a charge on your ride home. but it sits overnight and loses its charge, and gives you probs in the a.m. bring the battery to a shop and have them load test it to see how well it holds a charge

·
Registered
269 Posts
sounds to me like that damn starter relay. Batteries arent really prone to just die unless they get dropped kickedand plates touch eachother, excessive vibration or are old. It usually dies from over charging (regulator) or some other underlying cause like the starter relay, or wires are grounding somewhere, and it "leaks" . detectable with a digital multimeter set to mA with wires conncted in series with the neg- terminal and the ground wire, and the key off, it should read 0mA. by what you say your battery sounds okay, a good battery will recover its current loss while it sits unless its fried, maybe thats why it started up. also check the obvious connectors.you were fiddling. if other symptoms show up like hard starting when hot, just buy an extra relay because it gonna strand you somewhere

·
Registered
1,076 Posts
Because my commute is small and I get off work early in the morning, this has been a consistent problem. First thing i did was replace the battery, but the new battery did the same thing a couple of months later. Just figure a good maintenance time, so when your cleaning your wheels or something, just put the battery on the charger. I do this every two months or so and it solved that problem. I stil get the slow turn over on really cold mornings, but I think that's the compression combined with really thick 10w40 oil. But it hasn't been an issue since I integrated it into my maintenance. Also If I notice one morning it seems a little harder to start I'll pull the battery when I get home, put it on the charger and put it back in when I head for work that night. The main thing is, is the battery you have good? If it's old or the original, just replace it, they're not too expensive, I think I picked mine up at pep boys for under 40 bucks.

The other option, which I'd do if I had a garage, is install the plugs with a battery tender so you don't have to pull the battery. Anytime it seems a little sluggish or hard to turn over just plug that bad boy up at night and you'll be fine.

C

1 - 5 of 5 Posts