TLZone Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So the other day I took my R out for a ride and thought I'd head back out later so I parked it i front of my house. (Mostly to display this wonderfull machine) and then it started to rain. :(
After it stoped raining off and on for 6 hrs (not while as I didn't want to get wet) I rolled my bike back to its rightfull spot in the garage (it's the only vehicle in the garage :) ). Then low and behold the next morning it would not start!
So thanks to this site... I was able to find out that the wires in the left front faring are a trouble spot.

I poked at them while trying to start it and it worked. So I went a bit further and opened up all of the conections and found some of them were corroding so I took a bit more time and cleaned them up good and I hope this will not happen again.

I am not 100% certain it was the rain, it could be coinsadence ... And it's not happend again after I cleaned the conections.

I hope this helps some one looking for why there bike will not start after sitting in the rain

·
Registered
500 Posts
I had to keep fixing my connectors, as the corrosion seemed to change the resistance of the connectors and they started heating up/burning out. I ended up changing the connectors, wiring in a generic connector that I got from an electronics store. I haven't had a problem since.

·
Registered
84 Posts
I've read through pages of forums were people have tried to solve the problem you just seemed to solve. And let me tell you IT WAS THE RAIN. My bike will shut down one of its cylinders if I leave it out on a misty night.

Can you take pictures of the connectors under the left faring that you said was the trouble spot. I would really like to know exactly what to look for and fix.

·
Registered
501 Posts
I've read through pages of forums were people have tried to solve the problem you just seemed to solve. And let me tell you IT WAS THE RAIN. My bike will shut down one of its cylinders if I leave it out on a misty night.

Can you take pictures of the connectors under the left faring that you said was the trouble spot. I would really like to know exactly what to look for and fix.
Try trimming 10mm off the end of your HT leads (at the plug end), and cleaning up the spade terminals on the coils.

·
Moderator,
8,250 Posts
If you apply a coating of dielectric grease to the connections after you clean them it will help prevent future corrosion. :thumbup

·
Registered
1998 TLS; 2001 TLR; 200X TLRSF
4,313 Posts
I don't understand what trimming 10mm of "HT" leads means.
"HT" leads means High Tension wires (or spark plug wires). :)

Both the ignition coils and the spark plug caps "screw" into the spark plug wires. There is a screw that contacts the copper conductor in the wire. That connection breaks down with miles and time.

So then, the connection can be renewed by removing the coils and plug caps from the wire, and trimming about 10mm from each end. Then reassemble the coils and plug caps. This fix provides "new" copper for the srews to bite into, thus improving the connection (electrical path) to the spark plug.

For starters, trim only the plug end first. The plug end is most exposed to the elements and the coil end is more difficult to get to. :coocoo

It is well worth the effort if you're having intermittent ignition problems. :thumbup

·
Registered
11,780 Posts
Also, make sure the drain holes in the side of each head are clear , especially the front one (on the left side of the bike).

·
Registered
3,493 Posts
Also the starter solenoid is a rain trap. Check/clean that as well.

·
Premium Member
7,697 Posts
And if you ever ride in drenching rain the SV1000 spark plug boots don't have the holes the TL ones have; they seal the spark plug tunnels much better. A small extension at the back of the front fender makes a huge difference. Otherwise a stock TL will stumble on one cylinder after a while driving in a heavy downpour.

·
Registered
219 Posts
Here is a picture of the 4 connectors I cleaned...
View attachment 37963
Those connectors are crap, get some watertight couplers and the ends spend an afternoon cutting and crimping ends. I did all my connectors like this and it solved most of the wiring gremlins I had. Well worth a few hours of your time for the reliability factor alone.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Those connectors are crap, get some watertight couplers and the ends spend an afternoon cutting and crimping ends. I did all my connectors like this and it solved most of the wiring gremlins I had. Well worth a few hours of your time for the reliability factor alone.
Do you have a part# for the part you used? Or just individual connecters for each wire.
Also I guess when you buy a used anything it's good to go back to the basics and change/check it all over.
image.jpg
I've not seen a K/N that dirty in quite some time. (At least the last owner did put a K/N in it)

1 - 14 of 14 Posts