TLZone Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,380 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well as normal ive been away working but about a month ago i went for a ride.
Coming into a country town my bike just stopped running. Thumbed the starter and she spins over but no fire. Yes i have fuel in the tank :coocoo
I spent a good 2 hours on the side of the road pulling fuses checking wires etc but theres only so much you can do with the standard tool bag and no multimeter.
Im home for a week or 2 now and have decided to have a play this friday night. so im looking for any ideas.
It has power to the starter, cant hear the fuel pump priming and seems no ignition. The dash lights up but not the LCD displays.
Im thinking a wire might have worn through?
Could it be ECU?

Any help would be good so i have some areas to start in

·
Upside Down Super Mod,
29,855 Posts
Double check the orange wire to the relay behind the LHS rear panel. In a past life it had a splice on it for the original ATRE. I'd have to look at the wiring diagram to see what the symptoms would be if it broke through.

The strands might have snapped over the years.

Found a laminated diagram I had at work. It wont be that, it'll just stop the FP from running, wont affect the dash.

If it was broken, the ECU should throw a FP code C41

Still thinking...

It shouldn't be the ECU, the dash would read CHEC if it got power but received no information from the ECU. Because the dash han't lit up, no fuel pump prime, it's a power fault that is common to them, what else on the bike doesn't work? Is it just the dash and no prime?

Because the starter engages, that eliminates a lot.

·
Registered
1,380 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Just the LCD part of the dash dosnt light up. No fuel pump primer noise either.
Everything else seems to work.
All fuses in fuse box ok
The fuse next to the big regulator/rectifier thing under the seat is ok.
I know the hot wire to that plays up but mine is hard wired now after previous issues and when that went i had no power to anything.

By the way Steve. The switch on the TRE is for on/off? Which way on cause its been fiddled with when playing around in there

·
Upside Down Super Mod,
29,855 Posts
It's one of Lowey's TRE's, I can't remember if it was off / on or 5th / 6th gear. I think it might be for 5th / 6th and there's a mark on one side for 6th.

Need to check the orange / white trace. 1st place to look is at the plug to the right hand controls. Going by the wiring diagram, the kill switch kills / supplies power to the O/W, but it also supplys the starter button.

So the break should be at or after the plug.

If there is no power on the O/W on the control pod plug, open the pod up and check the cables on the kill switch.

From the plug that goes to the controls it then runs through one of the main loom plugs tha is often a cause of grief. Need to check that one too.

The O/W supplies the ignition coils, ECU and fuel pump (& the vacuum control solenoid for the airbox flapper.)

Use a multimeter that'll read 12V, black lead to the battery -ve terminal, check for 12V both sides of the plug to the RHS controls, then the O/W in the main loom plug behind the front fairing panel.

The plug for the controls is the black one with the loops, the other suspect one to check is the white one. (Might pay to check the condition of the pins in the other ones anyway).

Click for a big one.

·
Registered
1,380 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Cheers Steve. Ill give it a shot. Cant do much until friday night but gives me a start.

·
Registered
1,380 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Had abit of a play tonight, and it started straight away, but died about a minute later.
I was flicking the kill switch around and that seems to affect the LCD going on and off but no real logic to it as yet.
It fires so it is definatley a wire or switch loose etc...
Just got to find it now.

·
Registered
1,992 Posts
what is it with everyone's electrics at the moment? are we getting large solar flares or something... perhaps the yanks are testing some electrical destroying weapon of mass destruction? :confused

·
Moderator,
8,238 Posts
:devious

1 - 8 of 8 Posts