TLZone Forums banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
2,630 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Right, I am going to be commuting to work over the winter on the TL as my lease car is going back. Decided to bank the 350 quid a month that costs me towards a shiney new precious next year.

What I am looking for is some advise on how to protect the TL over the winter months due to road salt etc. I am very worried about corrosion on the alloy.

Last time I commuted over the winter, it was on a CX500, and I coated the whole thing in vaseline:devious and didn't wash it all winter. This seemed to work well, but that bike was built like the Forth bridge (ie from pig iron)

Any advise on washing regimes, protective sprays etc would be very welcome:)

·
Registered
2,630 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Kamikuza said:
You deserve an award for keeping a CX500 running that long :eek
Otherwise ... sorry cant help :(
Its still going mate - sold it last year! 1978 and 50,000 miles. Had to do some welding on the swing arm tho:)

·
Premium Member
6,671 Posts
My suggestion (and probably the best your likely to get :devious ) ........

is leave the tL in the back of the garage and spend one months car allowance on a buying and insuring a cheap rent-a-wreck from the free-ads. so long as it comes with 6mths tax and test you'll be quids in.

I bought a Peugeot 309 with 12mths T&T for £175 one year, then it cost £120 for the next 2 MOT's and I scrapped it last year cos it was gonna cost over £200 for the MOT. Went and spent that £200 on a L reg Renault 19 that is still going OK :)

In my experience, riding a TL through our salt encrusted winter will easily knock that £300 of it's value :dowhat :banghead

·
Registered
3,907 Posts
tls-moose said:
In my experience, riding a TL through our salt encrusted winter will easily knock that £300 of it's value :dowhat :banghead
:stupid or get yourself a winter hack...I have one for sale, one careless owner:)

If you're too tight to buy an additional mode of transport, get 'duck oil' which prolly works the same as yer vaseline, only works well on other parts too:devious

:laugh

·
Registered
13 Posts
I use my TLS all year - actually pretty well all I use it for is commuting...

The alloy is far better than the stuff on my old Honda CB750F2 and the TLS copes with the slimy stuff better too because it handles so much better.

I wash it every weekend (alright - most) using Muc-Off and then their Bike Spray which seems to be a silicone based spray which covers the alloy, plastic, paint etc. It stops the winter crud adhering so well - I expect any similar product will be just as effective. The previous owner put fairing lowers on which keep a fair bit of crap off the engine but the stuff that gets past is a sod to clean off and the fairing needs to be removed. I left this until spring...

Finally a Scottoiler keeps the chain in good nick and reduces the amount of time spent in the freezing cold garage kneeling on the floor!

A caveat to all the above is that I make no attempt to keep vehicles in concourse condition - I'm just not arsed! The TLS looks used 'cos it is - to the tune of about 10K per year.

Other stuff to bear in mind:
Tyres - if either is looking a bit thin towards the end of the summer then get it changed sooner rather than later as breaking in a new tyre on wet roads is rarely fun.

·
Registered
3,907 Posts
All good advice:thumbup

What I did last winter, and the winter before was use 020's instead of 014's... overall there were only a few days that were worthy of decent grip/lean angles:yes

·
Premium Member
24,892 Posts
I ride year round and haven't noticed any issues with road salt and the aluminum. All the aluminum bits are clear annodized and/or painted which makes them pretty hard to hurt. I did get a little rust on the inside of the steel allen bolts but nothing major.

I really like the AV45/46 tires for commuting (and even more spirited riding). They have more grip than the 020's especially when cold and don't feel so hard yet still last longer:thumbup

·
Registered
2,630 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Jeez mate, that sure is winter commuting lol:laugh :laugh :laugh

Thanks for all the suggestions so far though - keep em coming:)

·
Premium Member
24,892 Posts
The Avon's do marginally better in snow than BT020's or BT014's too (its true). they are all lousy, but the Avon's slightly less lousy probably due to more and deeper tread:D

·
Registered
2,630 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Well, I have got a Michelin Macadam on the rear, and a BT summat or other on the front - I will look when I go out for a ciggie in a minute :laugh

I am looking at getting a pro-oiler, looks spot on for protecting the chain properly

·
Registered
1,092 Posts
I use my bike(s) all year round. I've never bothered with any protection, except for WD40 in all the electrics and oiling the chain. I wash them occasionally - they only get dirty too quick!! This goes for summer as well as winter!! Saying that, I'm going to strip the TL this winter for a rebuild - I might even look after it then!

Chris - how much do you want for the kawasaki? Any details? You got that .dwg/.dxf file yet?

·
Registered
3,907 Posts
blademansw said:
I have got a Michelin Macadam on the rear, and a BT summat or other on the front
perhaps a reason for your 'riding style'?:devious

Amigo said:
Chris - how much do you want for the kawasaki? Any details? You got that .dwg/.dxf file yet?
:blush sorry mate, t'was biking weather over the weekend:banana ...I'll get that drawing to ya ASAPP:thumbup

The KLE (thread hijack!:laugh): I did want £700 (bought for £900 from a dealer), but £600 will be lovely cos I need the money:yes It's got some MOT, no TAX though, but starts every time and up until a month ago stayed in a dry garage. It has 40k miles. It has a (relatively) new chain, i.e. less than a 1000 miles, tyres are good for thousands of miles:yes and I have some spare bits somewhere too, like fork seals (which I thought had gone, but hadn't). Without going OTT, that's about it really. Oh, it was bought with a small dent in the tank, which doesn't leak because I repaired it. The dealer (local and trusted) said it was badly put on the sidestand by his assistant and promptly fell on another bike - after he paid £1400 for it.

·
Registered
1,531 Posts
I dont do much to mine and ride all year! This year is my second winter run on the TL and she does just fine. Running BT014 tyres this year so see how the hold up. I dont normally change my tyres just for winter just take it a little easier :devious

·
Registered
2,630 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
bikerchris said:
perhaps a reason for your 'riding style'?:devious
Cheeky bastage, and you know precisely what about my riding style?:laugh :laugh :laugh :laugh

·
Registered
3,907 Posts
blademansw said:
Cheeky bastage, and you know precisely what about my riding style?:laugh :laugh :laugh :laugh
Only what I've heard :laugh summit about riding a TL like an IL - tell me I'm wrong :devious

:lol :lol :lol

·
Registered
2,630 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
bikerchris said:
Only what I've heard :laugh summit about riding a TL like an IL - tell me I'm wrong :devious

:lol :lol :lol
Well, its a revvy V-Twin, so it would be rude not to rev the twat off it:devious :devious :devious

·
Registered
3,907 Posts
blademansw said:
Well, its a revvy V-Twin, so it would be rude not to rev the twat off it:devious :devious :devious
It's about as revvy as a Harley, ya crazy fool! :laugh :laugh :laugh

·
Registered
2,630 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
bikerchris said:
It's about as revvy as a Harley, ya crazy fool! :laugh :laugh :laugh
You've obviously got a crap one then mate:laugh :laugh :laugh

·
Registered
3,907 Posts
blademansw said: