TLZone Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3,717 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have two hard drives (C & D) and I want to run a dual boot system with Windows XP and Windows 98.

Can it be done by having Win98 on the slave drive and WinXP on the master ?

I dont want both residing on the same hard drive as I need a FAT32 on one of the drives.

Cheers
:hail TLR's

·
Registered
11,918 Posts
Yes, I did that with 98SE (FAT32) & Win2k (NTFS) ... question is though - why do you want to?
Also, if you install XP on NTFS partition, 98 wont be able to see it :no

·
Registered
11,918 Posts
Install 98 first then when you install XP it'll give you the option of where to install it & then when you boot the PC it'll give you a menu, although it'll boot to XP by default I think ...

·
Registered
143 Posts
pick up a copy of vmware and do a little reading on it. i think you will find that it will be a more convenient and portable solution than dual-booting. else i would just pick up another pc and run 98 separately. kvm switches are around 10-15 dollars and if like you said it's an older legacy program it will run fine on hardware that you can get for cheap or free.

with that said, if you elect the second option let me know - i have a ton of old and new stuff and i wouldnt mind rummaging through a few boxes. i'm sure i have enough useless parts to build something 300-900 mhz that would work great. you can have whatever you need for shipping, just let me know. email me at [email protected] if you have any other questions, i'm snowed in at my family's and bored. :)

·
Registered
1,518 Posts
there is a program i use for my vista, xp dual boot. it may work for 98 and xp

its called vista boot pro, its free.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts