TLZone Forums banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
303 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Got a 97S with a 99r motor in it. It leaks from the top of the motor when I do 65 for longer than 10 min. Too much oil in the motor? Crankcase pressure issue? THe oli read if on F and I lowered it to half way but I'm gunshy of running it a 65.. Mechanic said he found alot of oil in the air bbox after the first leak. Changed the valve covers to the R and it leaked again

·
Registered
4,197 Posts
First of all: A bit of oil in the airbox is common for the TLS. Not floated, just a bit!
Oil level should be kept below full, otherwise it will spill more oil into the airbox.

You're sure you got the engine breather system right? There are differences between the 97 TLS and the later TLS/TLR models! The air/oil seperator between rear head vent and crankcase is a bigger for the latest TLS/TLR and there is a difference in the crankcase breather system.

Greetings
Rufer

·
Premium Member
24,892 Posts
:stupid

I'm not an expert on the breather systems, but they were very different from '97 to later models. Even the crank case reed valve works the oposite way on the later ones I think. My guess is that its not put together quite right.

good luck

·
Registered
2,879 Posts
yep, the 99 motor is the clue I think...might involve some detective work. My 97 only ever get's enough oil to go halfway and it's never put a drop of oil in the airbox. Though, I'm beginning to think I clearly have a Tuesday bike so others experience might be different.

·
Registered
303 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Okay so what should I begin to do? I don't know shigidy about bikes other than ride and change the oil.. Oh and I can flush brakes... Somebody tell me what exactly I should be doing.

·
Registered
1,992 Posts
taking it to a mechanic? :laugh

ok so that wasnt very helpfull :devious

·
Registered
303 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
opps thats right..Thanxs..Jim did you ever have any crancase problem issues with it? That will help me rule out if it's the motor or the setup

·
Registered
166 Posts
do you have the TLR rear valve cover on the motor or the TLS ? The R motor needs that vent routed to the oil separator and than the box .
The 97 TLS motor did not have a reed valve ,meaning the one vent between the cylinders flows both ways . on the later TLS and all TLR the vent between the cylinders only vents INTO the motor . without both vents your motor has no way to release pressure and so it pushes oil out were ever it can :)

·
Registered
303 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
SHIT!! that sounds like the problem. I'll check it out this weekend. But I wouldn't know which valve cover the mechanic put on it it's gonna take alot of work to figure this out considereing I "think" I know what you all are talking about but with out the pics I'm not really sure... DAMN I WISH ONE OF YOU LIVED NEAR ME GRRRRR

·
Registered
303 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Any chance someone can shoot me some pics of where these hoses should be. I think I have an idea. Where exactly are the vents on each cyclinder? I'm assuming they are on the top of each cylinder? And if so what does the hose lead to on both the aibox? And if thats the case if they put the wrong valve cover on the motor should I put the R one on, then fabricate some kind of hole and hose for the other one to vent from the airbox????????

·
Registered
1,478 Posts
KnightTLS said:
opps thats right..Thanxs..Jim did you ever have any crancase problem issues with it? That will help me rule out if it's the motor or the setup
Naw man. I was 100% upfront from the beginning. 16,000 trouble free miles. Then I crashed, then I mothballed it, then you bought it.

Sorry for your troubles, but it sounds like someone's isolated your problem! :)

I'm just glad you didn't bail on the project!

·
Registered
166 Posts
the vent is on the rear valve cover, it should have a black hose on the left side of your cylinder head (left while sitting on the bike) .you should see this w/o removing the tank or anything . sounds like its not there , you will need the correct (TLR) rear valve cover ,the hose ,and the oil separator (which goes between the air box and the center crank case vent )

·
Registered
2,575 Posts
TEATOTLER said:
the vent is on the rear valve cover, it should have a black hose on the left side of your cylinder head (left while sitting on the bike) .you should see this w/o removing the tank or anything . sounds like its not there , you will need the correct (TLR) rear valve cover ,the hose ,and the oil separator (which goes between the air box and the center crank case vent )

:stupid :stupid ive ran into it a few times and left it unpluged and got some oil on me.. but also ur still gonna have to watch oil level to much and it will still push into the airbox but not at the rate it is now with ur current level

·
Registered
166 Posts
the stock oil separator on the TLR and used on all but the 97 TLS did a very good job .
It will wet the inside of the air box but should not puke oil into it.:O :)

1 - 15 of 15 Posts