TLZone Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
926 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Do they? there is a set of tls connecting rods on ebay right now that I would jump on if they would fit an R crank. The crank I have probley has to be turned down a little anyway. Could I pick up these rods and get bigger bearings to fit?
Thanks.

·
Registered
8,895 Posts
TLS rods are supposed to be heavier than the TLR rod..Effect on crank balance with straight swap :O ...Width and 123 mm centres measurement will be the same for TLR and S.

TLS and Carrillo

Attachments

·
Registered
3,648 Posts
getting shells for tl's is an issue....your ok if you'vr not had to turn your crank down...i belive some dudes have used bmw shells. but locating tabs are on yhe wrong side:O

·
Registered
926 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
so yes or no?:O

·
Registered
5,698 Posts
les is saying they fit but you are compromising the designed motor balancing.

:O

·
Registered
926 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
so it's a no?:O what if I use a tls crank with it? will the tillis crank fit with the tiller case's?

·
Registered
1,499 Posts
Why would you want 'S' rods in an 'R' engine? the 'R' rods are stronger in the first place! The R's engine was built to handle more power! Although not much due to a weakness in the cases (or so i've read:O)

·
The Suck, Squeeze, Bang, Blow Moderator,
15,415 Posts
Very little difference between S and R rods, for a road engine any combination of S/R Crank or Rods will be OK.

If your crank is scored and needs grinding then it's junk as there are no off the shelf oversize shells. They can be welded and reground but ultimately it's cheaper in the long run to buy a 2nd hand engine with blown gearbox for it's crank.

·
Registered
926 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
So your telling me I can put an S crank and rods in a R bottom end?:O There are both on ebay right now. I need to know so I can jump on it.

·
Registered
926 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
took a look at ron ayers. part #'s are different for the S and R cranks. Cost is exactly the same, to the penny? part #'s are off by 1.
Didn't think this was that hard of a question when I posted it. Someone gotta know. Are the cranks interchangeable?????????

·
Registered
5,698 Posts
hello maynard,
the R crank has an extra journal for better oiling IIRC.
they are the same dimension in IMHO youll never know the difference. i ran the snock outta my 97 crank n rods and it looked fine (and just brought $200) after some 500 dragstrip passes and 65K miles.

·
The Suck, Squeeze, Bang, Blow Moderator,
15,415 Posts
any combination of S/R Crank or Rods will be OK.
Already said it :O

You can put S cranks in R cases, R cranks in S cases, R rods on S cranks, S rods on R cranks.

The R crank (and later S) has an extra oil drilling to the big ends for better lubrication, but doesn't affect it's interchangability.

As Les said the S/R cranks may weigh slightly differently (not checked myself) but dimension wise are identical.

·
Registered
926 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thank you thank you.:) Thats all I needed, a definate YES from the head honcho's of the ZONE. Gonna jump on it.
Thanks again.:)

1 - 13 of 13 Posts