TLZone Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
im tryin to keep a matching set of wheels. i have an 06 gsxr front clip for the tls and hear the front wheel wont interchange so i would like to know if the rear will

·
Registered
2,650 Posts
You will definitely need that newer wheel's cush drive & rear sprocket carrier. But the only issue I am not sure of is the 03' & up GSXR1000 rear wheels went to a new style rear brake caliper mount/hanger. The caliper mount slides into a set of grooves that are machined into the inside of the swingarm. That eliminates the need for the rear caliper hanger arm like the one that is found on the TL's. I am not sure if that newer style caliper mount/hanger that doubles as a wheel spacer is the same width as the 01' - 02' GSXR1000 rear caliper mounts. I have an 01' - 02' GSXR1000 rear wheel laying around with a new Michelin Power Race mounted (yum, yum) that I can get some measurements off of for you.

·
Will ride for Food
697 Posts
I think vandriver (Jim) made some spacers in the past that will make it work.

·
Registered
99 Posts
i'm pretty sure the spacers vandriver made where to fit a gsxr wheel to the TL forks cuz i have a set laying around here, the rear is just bolt in with all the gsxr components, but like dobalina said, not sure if the brake setup works...

·
Registered
1,033 Posts
I know for a fact the newer GSXR brake hanger bracket is the same width as your TL's and locates the caliper in the same place- I've measured them. So yes, you can use your old brake setup with the new GSXR wheel.

What I am not positiive about is whether you'll need a different spacer on the left side of the bike to fit to the TL swingarm. FWIW I know that the rear axles of the TLs and GSXRs are the same length.

Van driver made a custom hanger setup to carry a lighter brembo rear caliper. He followed the new GSXR style of hanger bracket that has an integral forward facing arm that slides in a new channeled piece, that needed to be welded to the inside of the TL swingarm. He fabbed the channels from my dimensions, taken from a GSXR.

That allowed you to lose the torque arm and it's mount from the TL swingarm, and replace the heavy cast hanger and OEM caliper.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts