TLZone Forums banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
926 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've tried running my tiller on NGK iridium plugs and I foul them in about 30 seconds. Stock mapping or various PC2 maps. They always foul. Throw in some stock NGK plugs and the bike runs like a CHAMP.:) Ran stock plugs for a year now, plulled them out and they still look great. A nice milky brown. The iridiums come out looking like you pulled them out of the oil pan.:O
The local dyno guy said some engines only like the dual sidded electrode of the stock plugs. Iridiums are single electrode.
No matter what map I run they foul.
I know a shit load of people here run them with no problems.:O
Whats going on? Any ideas.

·
Premium Member
24,892 Posts
Dunno, that's really weird. Are you using the same heat range? Any chance the leads weren't very well attached/connected at the plug or coil ends when the testing was done?

good luck

·
Registered
926 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Got the hotter ones and they lasted a little longer. still fouled. Pretty sure the coil wires were tight. went thru 3 sets and called it quits.:O I tried cleaning up the fouled ones but they wouldn't even fire. Again, throw in a stock one, fires right up runs great.

·
Premium Member
24,892 Posts
Werid, I'd run the stockers and not worry about it:laugh

I ran stockers for the first ~45k miles in my bike. Replaced the first pair at 17k miles and the second pair at 45k miles. They looked just dandy both times. Put in Brisks at 45k and they are still in there (51k now).

I've never tried an EIX plug in the TL, but I use them in other stuff and have never had trouble with them:O

good luck

·
Registered
4,745 Posts
I just run the stock plugs now. Ran iridiums and had fouling problems also ... and my R is dynotuned.

·
Registered
878 Posts
Shitty, now I am somewhat worried about the iridiums I just put in my bike. I hope I don't get stranded, hell I don't even know if my bike will run yet. Damn hacked up air box

·
Registered
926 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I didn't get to the point of being stranded. I never made it to the end of my driveway.

·
Registered
8,379 Posts
I never bothered with spending more $$ on plugs...the stockers work just fine...no sense paying the extra $$ for iridiums for the .000859 HP increase it gives you :lol

·
Registered
878 Posts
I only bought them cause I was at the auto parts store and I needed them, so I called Ryan for the part number :p

·
Registered
600 Posts
My bike runs better with iridiums, no low Rs stalling. I used to hate that shit.
:blush :blush Turn your wrist @ a stop & ttttttttttrrrrrrrrrp! :blush :blush
Never skips once it's screeming on stock .

·
Registered
929 Posts
This may sound silly,but did you try different fuels? I notice that when I had oem plugs my tiller ran best on BP & shell & did not like any other fuels,Then when I put in the brisks in, it ran shit on BP & shell & ran much angryer(better) on cultex.Ive been only running cultex ever since.:O

·
Registered
4,197 Posts
I never had problems with Denso Iridiums. There shouldn't be any problems with the right # Iridiums, otherwise something is wrong with your engine mapping IMO.
Btw, I never felt a big difference between Iridiums and stock plugs.

Greetings
Rufer

·
Premium Member
24,892 Posts
What number irridiums did you get? Should be CR9EIX (stock heat range for a TLR) or CR8EIX (one hotter).

good luck

·
Premium Member
7,697 Posts
If it was just one plug I'd say you got an iridium with an internal crack in the insulator that's not visible. But that's statistically less likely if this problem happens on both plugs of two sets.

Sounds like it's still too cold a heat range, might just be more sensitive to being rich and needs the exactly correct heat range? Also, is the reach exactly correct? Not just the length of the threaded portion, but how far does the nose of the insulator project into the chamber? Not just the electrodes, but the end of the insulator needs to be the right temp to be self-cleaning.

If you were burning oil I'd expect the dual-electrode to foul quicker.

·
Registered
1,380 Posts
I know its a different bike altogether but i had massive probs with iridums on my RMX250. Could never get it to run right on them so went back to normal NGK's.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts