TLZone Forums banner

1 - 20 of 47 Posts

·
Registered
518 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
When I start to think about my next bike and look at whats out there nothing looks interesting. I rode a friends new R-1LE the other day and the first thing I noticed is the weight. I mean it weighs 100lbs more than my TL! No matter how nice the suspension is or strong the motor its just heavy. My bike is just easier to ride fast. I also did a Apex trackday at Miller Motorsports Park last week. All my trackdays this year so far have been with 10 or fewer bikes on the track at one time. So here I was out with 65 bikes at once. At least it was the big 4.5 mile track so it did not seem crowded. At the end of the day at least 10 guys with 1000cc inline 4s came up to me and said my bike was a rocket off the corners and they could not get past me on the straights. The combanation of v-twin power, slicks and 350lbs weight means that the moment I start to pick it up from full lean I am at full throttle! So untill the Japs make a new 90 degree motor I am keeping mine. But then today I hear about a TZ250 of possible GP spec thats new that could be had for a possible stupid low $ number! I may have 3 bikes soon.

·
Registered
793 Posts
I'd say the only thing about your bike that would not work for me is the fact that it is meant for one rider. I need the extra strength from the stock subframe. I am sure TS could account for that in the design if the customer asked. The other limiter, of course, is cost. I already have close to $30K in my bike as is; to go the TS route would add a hell of a lot more to that, and not many folks can swing it.

·
Registered
793 Posts
Well, in TS's case, you are paying one, or a few folks to do many hours of highly-skilled fabrication. OEM stuff is cheaper because of the volume and automation.

·
Upside Down Super Mod,
29,855 Posts
1eviltwin said:
a R1 weighs more than ur TL ???please explain :dowhat
:laugh

·
Premium Member
24,892 Posts
mobilesuit said:
What kind of R1 did you sit on? I'm pretty sure a 06 R1 weighs 100 lbs LESS then a stock TLR
Fixed

See steve's pic of art's bike, its not quite stock:spit

Art, I totally agree, bikes should be much lighter, even street bikes imho, but light weight doesn't sell in general - its blingy gimics like radial caliper mounting and high horsepower numbers that draw in the hordes of squids I think. I really like the recent popularity of supermoto where most of the competition bikes are sub 250lbs:thumbup

Comming from a 125cc MX/HS/GP background I tend to think anything over 200lbs is rather portly:)

·
Registered
618 Posts
I thought it must have been a Special model, because the last R1 I sat on, felt like a Tiddler compared to my TLR..........Yeah, I said Tiddler:laugh
Regards Sonny

·
Registered
967 Posts
I am confused here...

How much weight have u shaved off your bike, Adavis?

I mean, TLRs are around 450Lbs and R1 arouns 360... and you are saying that your bike is around 100Lbs LIGHTER than a R1 ?!?!

Any threads with detailed info on your bike?!

Later

T

·
0 Posts
BB-Art runs a Terry Shephard frame that is designed to use the TL motor. Just do a search for Terry Shephard or just adavis and you will find a shedload of info about his bike. It's a bad mofo.

·
Registered
121 Posts
BikePilot said:
Fixed

See steve's pic of art's bike, its not quite stock:spit

Art, I totally agree, bikes should be much lighter, even street bikes imho, but light weight doesn't sell in general - its blingy gimics like radial caliper mounting and high horsepower numbers that draw in the hordes of squids I think. I really like the recent popularity of supermoto where most of the competition bikes are sub 250lbs:thumbup

Comming from a 125cc MX/HS/GP background I tend to think anything over 200lbs is rather portly:)
:eek I didnt see who was posting... :hail Art's bike

·
Premium Member
24,892 Posts
And an R1 is way more than 360lbs wet - more like 450 IIRC.

·
Upside Down Super Mod,
29,855 Posts
A K3 GSXR1000 is ~439lb wet :devious (A little different to the 368 ~ 370lb quoted dry weight).

·
Premium Member
24,892 Posts
Not really, ever weigh your TLR? Its probably close to 500lbs (wet) if stock.

·
Registered
967 Posts
BikePilot said:
And an R1 is way more than 360lbs wet - more like 450 IIRC.

well... depends on how u look at it: you shouldnt compare wet weight from one bike to the dry weight of another. so basically you get both manufacturers numbers, usually dry weight because they all want to seem light, and compare those. And for the R1, I think is around 360Lbs and the TLS is about 450Lbs. Give or take a few lbs.

Now if you saying that the wet weight of the R1 is 450Lbs (it could be, I am not sure) then you'd have to get the same wet weight for the TLR... which will be more than 500Lbs. :O :O :O :O

·
Pygmy looking for a new name
14,150 Posts

·
Registered
967 Posts
gixxerjasen said:
FYI, adavis bike weighs 365lbs WET.

:coocoo :coocoo :coocoo :coocoo :coocoo :coocoo :coocoo

Cheeezze n Rice !!!

Damn it!

1 - 20 of 47 Posts