TLZone Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
676 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just a questions for you guys. Whenever I go to start my bike up for the first time each day, it takes 2 times to start it. Most of the time it starts and runs for a few seconds and shuts off. Then I start it again and it revvs up to 3k where I let it stay for about 30 seconds before backing the idle down. Is it normal for it to take 2 times to start and keep it running?

Also, when I start it and I back the idle down, it only goes down to 2500 rpm's. If I give it a little blip of throttle it will then go down to the normal idle at about 1000 or 1100. Is it normal for this?

1 other thing is that if I cruise for a while and I try to just blip the throttle it will stumble, but only once and then it wont do it for a long time. It has only done this twice now in the few months I have had the bike. Is this normal as well?

Thanks for all!

·
Registered
379 Posts
My does the same thing during start up and it's worse during the winter. I've read other threads regarding the same thing so it is nothing to worry about. I believe the correct idle for the TLR is 1200.

·
Registered
676 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Mine is the TLS (S = Sexy!) so maybe it idles a little lower, not sure I will have to look at the book. What are the differences in the TLR and TLS engine?

Is it:

Injectors, forged pistons, cams, computer? Or is there more?

Thanks though for that tid bit!

·
Registered
168 Posts
My TLS used to do the same thing. I bumped my idle up to about 1300 and that seemed to help sometimes. The biggest improvement was when I changed the battery. After the battery change it starts on the first try everytime.

Matt

·
Registered
676 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
It starts on the first try but it doesnt stay running. Runs for maybe 5 seconds and shuts off. Is that the same as what u experienced?

·
Registered
1,758 Posts
sounds like you both need a throttle body synch., and some plugs.

and let the fuel pump prime all the way before trying to start it with the fast idle lever pulled (if the motor isn't already warm).

·
Registered
676 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Plugs I can agree with possibly and a throttle body synch, because I always let the fuel pump fully prime. This is not a big deal as the bike runs fantastic.

·
Registered
168 Posts
Mine would usually run for about 2-3 seconds and then stop. Then stay running on the second try. After plugs, TB sync, TPS adjustment, and redoing the valve clearances it still did the same thing. Finally stopped with the new battery. May just be a coincidence, but mine starts on the first try now.

Alot of the TL's do it so it really isn't something to be concerned about. You are starting with the fast idle on, correct?

I remapped also and mine will still stumble on occasion. Maybe once every 250 to 500 miles, but I'm not real concerned about it

·
Registered
608 Posts
first how many miles are on the bike, try the filter change, correct idle is 1200 rpms , my did that for a while but then again i wasnt using it everyday, after my accident i just started it up once a week but now that my wife rides it almost everyday and i ride my 05 750, i have had no problem with it. starts up on the first try. from what i read is that TL's or V-TWINS need to rode and started regularly but mine does the same thing with the rpms are high at first start and drop to 1200 or so. hope this help if not sorrry but doesnt sound like u have any real bad problems with the bike

·
Registered
1,758 Posts
+/- mod time?

·
Registered
8 Posts
What is my problem guys? I have an 01 Tiller. When I attempt to start it, it takes any where from 7-10 attempts. By then usually the battery dies. Then when I hook the battery up to a car, it will usually start after a few more tries. There have been times when it will turn over after only a few tries. What do you think it could be? I changed the plugs. Could it be a fuel filter? I would say it's the battery but it's not that old. Still a possibility though I guess. What is a throttle body synch? I appreciate any help. Time to start troubleshooting.

·
Registered
1,758 Posts
I hope the car isn't running. Tune that thing up and get the tb's synched. plenty of threads on here to tell you how.

·
Registered
3,648 Posts
TLBOY said:
What is my problem guys? I have an 01 Tiller. When I attempt to start it, it takes any where from 7-10 attempts. By then usually the battery dies. Then when I hook the battery up to a car, it will usually start after a few more tries. There have been times when it will turn over after only a few tries. What do you think it could be? I changed the plugs. Could it be a fuel filter? I would say it's the battery but it's not that old. Still a possibility though I guess. What is a throttle body synch? I appreciate any help. Time to start troubleshooting.
your battery should be good for a few more trie than that. :O

·
Registered
3,498 Posts
here is what you need to do, mine used to die right after 1st atempt but now i cycle the pump primer 2-3 time before i start cold.....and it will run like a champ

·
Registered
629 Posts
starter relay got bad connection, not getting enough juice from battery to the starter. Maybe getting a new relay or new harness or contact cleaner. Try to get stronger battery maybe a dry cell battery with higher cranking power. And off course the maintenance like plugs and wires or coils. Hey every little thing counts.

·
Registered
608 Posts
fast idle the beast!!!!!!!!!!

·
Registered
676 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
My bike has 13,527 miles.....lol The only mods are the bolt on RS-3 Yosh pipes. Like I said it only does it the first time I try to start it on any given day. I do want to mod it though but not till after I get used to the bike......it is my first real street bike.

I always fast idle start the bike and I let it run for 20-30 seconds before backing it off.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts