TLZone Forums banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
354 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I brought the bike in for a service, fork seal replacement and a new set of tires. Not gonna be cheap.

Anyway, I have Bridgestone BT-020's on there now, and I did fine with those tires, got 9,000 miles on them with no problems and they are fine for my riding style.

Now, they don't have any BT-020's at the shop and from what they had in stock, they are reccomending either the Avon 45st (front) and 46st (rear), which I guess is the Azaro ST tire, according to the Avon web site or the Metzler Sportec M1's.

I didn't get a price on the Bridgestones, since they didn't have them in stock, but the Metzlers are about $100 cheaper for the set than the Avon's. Would you guys reccomend that I call them tomorrow and have them get some Bridgestone's based on my previous experience, or should I go with one of the others?

My riding style is not all that agressive. I have a 180 on the back now, but am going with a 190 this time around to see what I think. Most of my riding is commuting to and from work. Morning ride is always the highway, splitting lanes a little and then maybe taking a slight detour where the road is less busy, and has a few little turns. My ride home is a little more spirited and the road is a little twisty, nothing too serious as there are almost always cars around anyway.

·
Registered
295 Posts
I love my Metzler Z6s. Ive gotten about 6K miles on them right now, about 3-4/32nds left til dead. Tires stick well, not great, but I do a lot of commuting. Never had a slip, and Ive had them all the way to the edges.

·
Registered
295 Posts
If you like getting mileage over extreme grip, any sport tire will wear out before a sport touring tire with no benifits to you while commuting. 2CTs are great sport tires, softer on the edges for excellent grip in the corners, but just as soft in the center as normal Powers, so about 3-4K miles on a twin is about all you get. Id look at Z6s, aswell as Pirelli Diablo Stradas. I dislike Dunlop D220's for their front tire having bad wear for heavy people or heavy bikes on the brakes in corners. I dont like B'stone BT-020's for the same reasons. Michelin Pilot Roads are great on wear, but not as sticky as either the Metz or Diablos.

·
Registered
354 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The Metzler Roadtec M6's rear tire sure has a large patch in the middle that is basically a slick. Doesn't seem like that would do well in wet conditions, but I guess it is fine, otherwise they wouldn't be selling them. Very different looking than the ME Z4 or Z2, even though it is placed in the same category. Just by the looks, I would go for the Pirelli Diablo Strada, out of the two.

Kamikuza said:
Tyres & helmets are NOT products you skimp & save on
Don't get me wrong, I wasn't going to go with the cheaper set, just because they were cheaper. It was just another option available and since the guy told me they were cheaper, I mentioned it. I don't know much about Avon tires and since I typically only need tires every two years or so, I figured I would ask on here, where we have lots of riders with the same type of bike!

D

·
0 Posts
Michelin Pilot Roads - I've put thousands of hard miles on two sets. Good in the rain and even in the snow:eek I've heard a lot of good things about the Metz Z6's but I haven't tried them myself.

·
Registered
354 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
:stupid.. I got nearly 7000 miles out of mine.. I loved them tires :yumyum
Almost 7k on BT-014's? They are listed on their site as being "ultra high performance sport" tires. Are you really easy on tires or agressive or what? What is your typical riding style?

Kamikuza, you obviously ride a lot more than I do! Problem with me is that I have too many hobbies and I don't ride on the weekends very often, just to and from work, but that's limited.

·
Registered
392 Posts
Pirelli super dragon corsa soft or dunlop sportmax GP like these the best

Pirelli don't last long at all but you can use all of the tire
even in cool weather maybe 3k
the dunlops are real good in the turn track good for
a truck tire
cheap at twice the price

·
Registered
2,892 Posts
Almost 7k on BT-014's? They are listed on their site as being "ultra high performance sport" tires. Are you really easy on tires or agressive or what? What is your typical riding style?
Well I ride aggressive when I take a trip to the mountains.. around here.. Im easy on them I suppose.. I dont wheelie, stoppie or any of that crap, when the stop light turns green Im not of those that has to take of like a space ship, just take off with the flow of traffic etc.. I do tend to break hard though( I only use the front break)..:O My Front tire never cupped, like it always did when I have run dunlops..

·
Registered
4,745 Posts

·
Registered
295 Posts
Ive heard different things about different tires getting extremly good, or extremly BAD mileage. Ive heard everything from 2500mi on a rear dunlop qualifier (I dont know what was done to it, but I can only assume the squid who told me that doesnt think burnouts take a lot of rubber off) all the way to 8K on a rear BT-014. Ive even seen 11Kmiles on a front michelin pilot sport, the old mid-sport tire they dont sell anymore. I dont know how some people do it, but I dont think with any constant pressure checks and normal riding I could ever get more than 10K on a set of tires.

For people suggesting track day tires, with cold weather coming up, these are not a good idea. Warm up quick when theres heat, but dont stay warm at all, and can be VERY slick in the rain, aside from poor mileage. You dont need to get a track compound tire to have confident feeling tires anymore. You would be surprised of the grip of many new sport touring tires, they are usually grippy enough for any commuter that sees a bit of mountains here and there, and are many times better in ugly weather.

For the kind of riding you list, I would suggest a sport touring, or mid sport tire that has proven well with mileage. Either the Pilot Roads, Metz Z6 or M1 even, Pirelli Diablo Stradas, or even BT-014s (Ive heard a lot of people say they have gotten great mileage, and Ive ridden them myself and found them more than satisfactory, plus they are pretty cheap compaired to the european tire companys; metz, pirelli)

As long as you arent buying re-treads or off brands, you arent really skimping on a thing. Every tire anyone suggested in this thread are great tires, some just suited for other riding styles/conditions/requirements than your own.

BTW, shameless plug, but if the Metzlers are $100 cheaper than the Avons, you should possibly shop around for tires. I know that Cyclegear sells BT-014s for $108 for the 120/70 and $150 for the 190/50, and everyother tire I suggested within $15 more for the fronts, $20 more for the rears, even for Pirellis and Metz, which depending on the store they might have to order. I dont think we sell a set of tires that is $100 more than another set except for Dunlop 208GPs and Michelin Pilot Races, for obvious reasons. Most shops sell tires close to MSRP, which is CRAZY mark up for what most larger shops sell them for.

SHAMELESS PLUG http://www.cyclegear.com SHAMELESS PLUG

·
Premium Member
6,671 Posts
I ran Pilot Powers on my ZX7R and I only got 2500 miles out of a rear so not sure what the torque of a twin would do to them!

You have to look at where people are located - our friends across the pond seem able to get what we consider phenominal mileages out tyres compared to us :O

BikePilot claims 15k+ miles from an Avon ST, many claim 7-8k+ from pilot powers. I have NEVER had any bike tyre (other than the old "roadrunners" on my Honda 125) last more than 5-6k whatever :confused

Most "sports" bike tyres in the UK such as Powers, 014's, Diablo's, etc., typically have a life of 2 - 4k, and "sports-tourers" such as ST's, Z6's, Diablo Strada's, etc., do 3.5 - 6k.

There must be significant differences in the road surfacing compounds used over there compared to here, is all I can think :O

(either that or they all ride like a bunch of Poofta's :devious :laugh :laugh )

·
Registered
1,499 Posts
Pilot Powers 2CT :yes Tyres & helmets are NOT products you skimp & save on :no
What's the go with "2CT" bit? I've got power's and love'em but didn't know about any different avaliable compounds:O

·
Upside Down Super Mod,
29,855 Posts
ONCE EVERY TWO YEARS!!!
Jeez wayne, I put on my second set of tyres THIS year! :) 12,000km between Feb & Nov!

Jeez, 12,000km would have had 3 or 4 sets on my TLS :laugh

·
Registered
52 Posts
You have to look at where people are located - our friends across the pond seem able to get what we consider phenominal mileages out tyres compared to us :O

BikePilot claims 15k+ miles from an Avon ST, many claim 7-8k+ from pilot powers. I have NEVER had any bike tyre (other than the old "roadrunners" on my Honda 125) last more than 5-6k whatever :confused

Most "sports" bike tyres in the UK such as Powers, 014's, Diablo's, etc., typically have a life of 2 - 4k, and "sports-tourers" such as ST's, Z6's, Diablo Strada's, etc., do 3.5 - 6k.

There must be significant differences in the road surfacing compounds used over there compared to here, is all I can think :O

(either that or they all ride like a bunch of Poofta's :devious :laugh :laugh )

You'd expect them to square off faster really, given the lack of corners :laugh

·
Registered
11,918 Posts
I do alot of commuting though - the sides of my tyres weren't anywhere near as trashed as I would like them to be :laugh
It was 12,070 or something to ... but the then when I noticed them the centre of the tyre was beyond the casing :laugh

1 - 20 of 35 Posts