TLZone Forums banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Premium Member
24,892 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I've decided I need my own SLR. Pilette has a rebel XT that takes great pics, but doesn't fit my hand well and often we both wanna take pics at the same time. I'll be doing a bit of everything with it from dirt bike pics to landscape stuff.

I tried out a pentax K10D and was really impressed, in fact nothing else in its price range ($530 from amazon) is remotely close - it was very similar to the 40D and D80 imho. I also tried out a 40D and liked that just a little better and of course the 5D felt good too.

A 40D is a bit out of my price range (absolute max is $1k), but 20D's are pretty similar and can be had for $400 lightly used and 30D's for 700. The reason I'm looking at canon's rather than jumping immediately on the pentax is that my wife and I would be able to share lenses, flashes and stuff.

I might have a line on a 5D for $1k - pushing the price limit but a full frame sensor would be pretty sweet:drool

The canon 20-40D series has a faster bust rate than the pentax (5-6fps vs 3fps), but the pentax has built-in stabilization which would be nice I think. Also the pentax is weathersealed and the others aren't. The canon's have a tad better performance at high ISO's (and the 5d a lot better). Pentax lenses are a quite a bit less expensive than canon, but I can't share them between my wife and I and there's a smaller selection available.

The 5D doesn't have a built in flash and busts at 3fps (same as the pentax), but its full frame and has killer high iso performance.

I'm in no big hurry and will likely not buy for a couple of months.

Any thoughts or things I'm missing?

·
Registered
4,197 Posts
I'm a Canon fan myself so my reply would be go for the 20D or 30D. I have a 20D since about two years and never had the slightest problem with it. Go for it! Also there are extremely many Canon lenses available. From very cheap to very expensive.

The 5D is nice, but good lenses for it are too expensive. If you don't do extreme wide angle, the APS sensor is the better choice for amateur usage in my opinion.

Greetings
Rufer

·
Premium Member
24,892 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
The 40D is pretty sweet. I had to try the burst mode in the shop and it really does fire them off in a hurry!

:thumbup on the D80 - it looks like a great camera, but for the price a canon makes more sense for me, but the pentax is pretty attractive being so much less $$.

That said, I just emailed the craigs list guy about the 5D (full frame, sorta like a D3 but slower cheaper and a canon).

Any pics from the D80 yet? :deal

There's a bunch of nikon lenses on the boston craigs list by a guy from MIT - I've no clue if they are a good deal or not, but if you see something you like I can check it out, its like 2 stops on the subway from my place.

·
Registered
291 Posts
i got a canon rebel xti for xmas and am loving it. the only thing that nikon has over canon in the price range i would say would be the fact that the nikons have built in image stabilization whereas the canon's have it in the lens.

·
Premium Member
24,892 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
My wife has the XT and loves it. I tried out the XTi and didn't care for it. The build of the body just doesn't suit me (too small and flimsy feeling, works fine I know, but just not comfortable in my hands).

I don't think nikons have built in IS:confused. The pentax has built in IS though:)

·
Premium Member
24,892 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
No prob:thumbup

·
Registered
1,605 Posts
6D alll the way man! its full frame, you cant beat that! and the kit comes with the 24-70 (sizes?) l series lens which is £1000 on its own. you can pick up the boday and the lense together from a high street shop in the UK for £1600... from canon its £2500.

if you can afford it, go for full frame, no more noise and the best pictures possible.

·
Moderator,
14,795 Posts
damn a Canon EOS 40D + EF-S 17-85 f/4-5.6 IS USM objektiv over here costs 2 077,69 USD :banghead

The misses is looking to buy something like that but for arround $1000 so guess I´m in the wrong Country :rant

·
Registered
1,605 Posts
that is disgusting money!

the 40d kit lens isnt really worth it either, yes it does have IS and a nice USM (microdrive) focus ring motor but still... for that money you should be getting something in the range of the 5d easily!

go here:
http://www.warehouseexpress.com/?/photo/digicameras/canon.html
and just ship to sweden.

they sell the 5d body on there for £1400 new... actually i dont know if that the kit price? im rusty with the camera prices on there, but the lenses are the same price new from these guys as what you would get on ebay fro new generally :)

·
Premium Member
24,892 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
And lasse if you find something in the states you want I can always forward it to you - amazon.com tends to have the best price of the on-line sellers here. There are some from brooklin NY that advertise really low prices, but they are all scams. Amazon is good, as is beach camera, Hunts etc:thumbup

There's a 5D for $1k (body only) which is really my price limit at this point on craigs list here. More than likey a scam, but I'm checking it out for good measure (with some help of other zoners:hail)

·
Premium Member
24,892 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
supposed to be brand new with warrenty, thus almost certainly a scam at that price:laugh

I can't wait to see what they replace the 5d with. Its a cool cam but a bit long in the tooth. If they were to stick it in the 40d's weatherproof body and up the burst rate to match the 40d it would really get me in trouble:drool I've a strong hunch that its replacement will be announced Jan 24th or so:devious

·
Registered
1,605 Posts
yeah, the have updated nearly all of their line of dslr's now! the 400d even has a 3" screen with live view!!

but still...i guess thats why the price for the cams is so low at the mo.

im still gonna try for this model 5d as i really wouldnt be able to stomach spending £3000 on a cam and lens.. but £1500 is no probs :devious

·
Premium Member
24,892 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Wait till spring and I bet the price on the 5d will be lower still if they introduce its replacement:)

I tested a 40D and wasn't impressed with the live view. The screen is fairly nice (well, nicer than the XT, no where near a d300/d3) but at least according to the camera shop guy it can't autofocus in live view and it seemed a little sluggish in live view. Otherwise the 40D is a very cool camera.

·
Registered
1,605 Posts
good points about live view. i always get really annoyed at LCD screens, they never show you the true sharpness at all. something can be monumentaly out of focus but on even a 3" screen you wont be able to tell! and as you know, i live for big pictures as razor blade sharpness :)

trouble is... i cant wait that long :( haha!

what updates do you think they will put in the 5d? improved cleading system? as everyone says they attract dust sooo much! haha

·
Premium Member
24,892 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I'd put my money on the 5d Mk II (or whatever they call it) having dust reduction, digic III, 6+ fps burst, probably weatherproofed and maybe a 3" live view screen, but I kinda doubt it (the live view part, the 3" part pretty likely). Basically, it seems people really like the 5d for scenery and such due to its really low noise, but many say the 40d is actually better for sports due to faster af and faster burst rate. Take a look at the 1ds mkII (the 1.3x crop frame one, I might have the name wrong). I would expect the next 5d to adopt a lot of its features.

In re the screens, check out a d300 or d3 screen sometime, its a whole different ball game and really does allow checking out the sharpness of a pic quite well (or as well as a small screen can). They are small, but very high resolution:drool

·
Registered
4,197 Posts
The live view is not what DSLR are made for. They will never autofocus in live view, it's technically impossible (AF sensors aren't on the photo chip).
If you want live view, get a non-DSLR.

Greetings
Rufer

1 - 20 of 32 Posts