TLZone Forums banner
1 - 20 of 50 Posts

·
Registered
544 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm in the midst of doing Joe's air box mod, installing a home-made TRE, calibrating the TPS and syncing the throttle bodies. I'll probably do the + mod while I've got her pants off. If that holds promise, I'll go ahead and go up three or four on the rear sprocket, get some slip-ons, a PowerCommander and have her tuned.

For those who have done these mods, please indicate the order in which you feel these mods gave best results. From gut feel, I'm listing what I think the order is likely to be, but please chime in and tell me how your results varied. (I realize you'd want to do the other mods before doing a custom tune, but I'm still curious how you rank that, in terms of results you can feel.)

1. Sprocket gearing
2. Air box mod
3. TRE
4. PowerCommander/custom tune
5. Slip ons
6. Remove scissor gears
7. remove decompres stuff
8. Remove PAIRS junk
9. + Mod

If I missed any simple yet worthwhile mods, please feel free to edit the list.

-Matt

·
Registered
77 Posts
Ive done the TRE and sprocket. I am the happiest with the +1 in the rear sprocket and also going with 180/55s. The combination allows the bike to dive into corners and get her fatt a** up and out. My 0.02 cents

·
Premium Member
344 Posts
What's a "+Mod:...excuse the ignorance
While I am being ignorant...What's "Remove PAIRS Junk"

·
Registered
4,197 Posts
You missed some simple but effective suspension upgrades.

Greetings
Rufer

·
Registered
790 Posts
+1

I can see those listed are more towards power, but there's simple things you can do to make it feel better. There's more, but here's what comes to mind...

Pull forks up 5mm in the triples, lighter oil in the steering damper, and of course swap out the SOAS and she'll feel much better. Very effective mods they are. :yes

·
Registered
133 Posts
hi im a bit new to all this were can i find out how do all of these mods

·
Registered
651 Posts
So far I have k/n filter, slip ons (yoshi), +3 in the back sporcket (driven kit from speedking). 6 ot calipers, galfer SS lines and PC II and it seems to throw me back. I would def look at the suspension which is my next mods.

·
Registered
544 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I'll admit to forgetting about this thread. Sorry to those who responded and were left flopping around in the wind...

Someone asked about the +mod and the PAIR system removal. I haven't done the + mod, and haven't even looked at it in detail. I assume it's basically running a larger DC line directly to the ignition coils so as to avoid voltage drop to them, and a significant resulting loss in spark energy.

The PAIR system is the crap that redirects some of the spent exhaust gas back through the throttle bodies. Probably something done for reduced emissions. Probably also makes exhaust popping worse, especially with modified exhaust systems. One word of caution. If you do this mod, and you decide to fabricate or order some cylinder block off plates, you're in for some significant frustration while installing the rear plate. I posted a hint for making this a bit easier in another thread somewhere, but even with that, it was a huge pain. The area around the throttle bodies is significantly cleaner now, though. And I bet I yanked out close to 5 pounds worth of crap.

Someone else asked where to find the info on these mods. It's all here, in the "Common Mods" section. I read every single one and was glad I did.

As a follow up, I'm going to rearrange the mods in the order in which I would do them to a stock bike, knowing now what I didn't know when I started:

1. TRE
2. Airbox mod.
3. 17/43 gearing
4. Rifleman's 1/5 turn throttle insert
5. Bolt ons or complete exhaust system
6. Flash ECU or PC/tune
7. Remove PAIR system
8. Remove Kalifornia Krap (if it's a CA bike)

I've yet to get my bolt ons or throttle insert, but I'm basing my opinions above on guestimates from different mods I tried with my stock exhaust, and on the throttle insert, with experiments conducted with my throttle twisting technique. YMMIV.

-Matt

·
Upside Down Super Mod,
29,859 Posts
My order would be:

Braided lines
Gearing
TRE
Exhaust
Airbox

But then Rufer threw a spanner in the works. Suspension :yes

·
Registered
4,364 Posts
For me;

These are in order, by priority, then by cost.
1) Airbox mod

2) TRE

3) Air filter (high flow), plug, oil filter, oil, and coolant change

4) Exhaust mod -cut stockers or slash cut, or full system if you have the cash

5) TB sync & TPS adjust

6) Map ECU w/ Yoshbox or PCIIor PCIII

7) 41 tooth rear sprocket

8) Riflemans throttle insert

...from my site

·
Registered
8,895 Posts
If I missed any simple yet worthwhile mods, please feel free to edit the list.

-Matt
So you have been through your 'old TL1000 and now know it is 110% reliable. :O

Wadup,i gotz the h1ds but my corroded plugz melted yo :lol

Where should i start.

Single seal bearing in the cush drive replaced with a fully sealed version to avoid any trouble in the future :O

Steering head,brake,clutch pedal and all suspension needle roller bearings checked and lubed. :O

etc etc etc

All that shiny shit will not make for reliability,neither will TRE's or suspension etc ...imho
If you haven't already do the basics first,you will only get as good a foundation as you are prepared to put the effort in for.

·
Registered
1,380 Posts
Les as always on point. Braided lines and good pads are a must.

·
Registered
27 Posts
+1

I can see those listed are more towards power, but there's simple things you can do to make it feel better. There's more, but here's what comes to mind...

Pull forks up 5mm in the triples, lighter oil in the steering damper, and of course swap out the SOAS and she'll feel much better. Very effective mods they are. :yes
How easy it is to replace the oil in the steering damper?

SOAS????????:confused

·
Upside Down Super Mod,
29,859 Posts
SOAS = Spring on a stick

Replacing the steering damper fluid is easy.

There is a bunch of threads around about both ;)

·
Registered
11,001 Posts
...if I had to do it all over again, I'd keep my TL bone stock and buy someone else's modded TL to save my self some $$:lol

·
Registered
676 Posts
Get some used cans, Do the TRE, airbox, filter then get it remaped. If you look arround you can do it for less than 400 bucks. Then go with suspention. Revalve the forks and put a 190-55 on the rear. Read about setting up sag and static sag then dial the suspention. If you hit the canyons or track you will figure out real fast that the stock rear shock and damper works about as well as Mel Gibson pan handling at Mt Sini.

·
Registered
231 Posts
hi im a bit new to all this were can i find out how do all of these mods
Read around in the forums, and there are instructions on some things in the File Vault up at the top right of the page you are reading. =)

1 - 20 of 50 Posts