TLZone Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
603 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
so here is the problem i am encountering. i recently went on a VERY long trip. i had the oil leak in my airbox from the faulty air oil seperator so i had oil EVERYWHERE. i started having problems but i ended up fixing the oil lek and solved some of my issues.

after all of this my battery died which i thought was understandable
so i put it on a trickle charger for 24 hours and stuck in back in the bike.

i started it and i went about 20 miles, ran beautifully the entire way. went to start it about an hour later and i could tell it was low. got it home shut it off and then tried to restart. barely turned over and didnt have enough juice to crank the bike over. so about 30 miles killed a full charge.

wanted to know if it was the + mod or the charging mod and if anyone has any pointers on the one i need to do i would greatly appreciate it since i have limited knowledge on electrical issues. but a good mechanical know how

·
Upside Down Super Mod,
29,857 Posts
How old is the battery? Maybe the battery is stuffed. :dunno I'm not sure what you were doing to cause it to go flat the 1st time though.

·
Registered
2,799 Posts
:stupid...sounds like battery to me as well but the charging mod is easy...

·
Registered
603 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
battery is 3 months old. i purchased it since the old one kept dying. havent messed with the electrical system except for installing the headlights with ballasts. it was fully charged in the morning and by night it was flat. did no work on the bike that day has to be someting in the charging system

·
Registered
603 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
any idears?

·
TLOTM Sept. '08
1,629 Posts
any idears?
Need data
With your battery 'fully charged' what does the voltage across it read,
when connected but before ignition turned on?
Same, but with ignition & headlights on?
What does the voltage measure across your battery with the engine running?

·
Registered
603 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
will find out after holiday asap. dont have the voltage reader where i am now. but when i get home i will find out

·
Upside Down Super Mod,
29,857 Posts
...... it was fully charged in the morning and by night it was flat. did no work on the bike that day has to be someting in the charging system
Did no work on the bike that day? What does that mean?

Did you ride / use the bike or did it go flat just sitting there? If it went flat just sitting there, then the battery is stuffed or you have some other problem causing it to drain.

If it went flat riding it, then you might have a charging problem. The manual hs the voltage specs to check for - Stator output, rectifier output - the stuff D'Ecosse mentioned.

·
Registered
603 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
rode it 30 miles that day as i stated before but did no mechanical/electrical work. after i put the battery back in the bike (fully charged) i rode 30 miles and did nothing to the bike no tools touched it nothing was removed nor fiddled with.

it was simply the riding that killed the battery.

my guess is that it is the charging system mod i need to do since this has only happened after riding.and specifically have never had this problem prior to my 2 month 5k mile ride. it doesnt just go dead while sitting there doing nothing. the problem has just started happening though so i will look t the specs tomorrow and check the voltage on everything.

btw how do i check the voltage on the reg/rect stator?

·
Registered
603 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
i went aahead and did the charging mod and it is running 14+ volts at all times. i'm excited to get my battery back from being charged

the voltage on the battery was normal but the cold cranking amps were low since i've ran it down a few times this week

1 - 10 of 10 Posts