TLZone Forums banner
1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone have real stats on the
RC 51? It's listed at only 1 hp above the TL but the same site listed the TL at 135 hp which is crazy of course. Is the RC 51 pretty much the same performing machine as the TL? And this is comparing two V twins, so save the whole get a bike with sould bull shyt. I love my TL but it's a legitimate question.

·
Registered
623 Posts
Two years ago at the ama race in mid-ohio I saw about 9 or 10 rc51s get dyno'd and they all were from 118-127 hp. I think there is some difference in the motor from year to year(bigger tbs). Most had a full system and a pc. My 98tls with some key mods put out 127hp on that day, you should have seen there faces when they seen those numbers! I loved it! The guy running the dyno said it was the most he had seen from a stock(inside) motor on a tls!

·
Registered
410 Posts
Tilladakilla,
Veetwin tls (one of the regulars on this site) has both. He would probably give a pretty unbiased opinion. If he doesn't see this thread, you could PM him.
From what I remember though, the horsepower is up on the TL and was more comfortable, but the Honda had better handling.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks dogsoup....hopefully he chimes in. I was just wondering what all the hooplah was all about. Because down here people act like the RC is in a totally different class. And I just haven't seen it. I mean I like them, they are V twins but I don't look at them as being better machines than my TLR....

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Two years ago at the ama race in mid-ohio I saw about 9 or 10 rc51s get dyno'd and they all were from 118-127 hp. I think there is some difference in the motor from year to year(bigger tbs). Most had a full system and a pc. My 98tls with some key mods put out 127hp on that day, you should have seen there faces when they seen those numbers! I loved it! The guy running the dyno said it was the most he had seen from a stock(inside) motor on a tls!
What mods did you make to get that horsepower?

·
Registered
623 Posts
Hate to jump on this guys thread but I cant seem to get my pm thing to work. I have a homemade under tb airbox, cut down tbs with homemade bellmouths, pair valve used as a crankcase evacuator, temp senser in the ram air tube, full race yosh system,+ and ground mod, full barnett clutch and tuned with a yosh box it somehow all works quite well

·
Registered
1,944 Posts
I also have both bikes, as well as a couple of other TLZ members.
I made my 03 TLR into a full time track bike and the RC51 is still street legal. The TLR definitely has the edge with sound, the RC's sound has a higher exhaust note.

I have never put either bike on a Dyno, but I can tell you about the performance and handling. The TLR is about 40 or so pounds heavier in stock form and I had to spend some serious green in order to drop the weight of the TLR to compare with the RC51 in basically stock form. Now that it is close in weight, the TLR is very competitive with RC's.

The RC51 in 2002 got bigger throttle bodies, a new swingarm and a bit more HP than the earlier models. Sadly the TLR never got any updates from the factory. It never got a chance to live up to its potential.

In short the RC is definitely a better track bike right from the dealership, the TLR needs lots of mods to get it down in weight, and to get it to handle well. But if you are willing to do the work, the TLR will perform for you.

I am not saying the RC51 is not also heavy, its just newer, lighter and handles much better. It also has better brakes too. I think the TLR has some more low end grunt than the RC, but they are kind of equal in most other areas. There is not a significant difference in performance HP wise to take any real notice.

This post definitely comes up from time to time. I made some comments about the differences of both in the thread linked below.
Ken
http://www.tlzone.net/forums/showthread.php?t=68409&highlight=rc51

·
Registered
699 Posts
At least the tillers radiators work, those side mount radiators. Way to go honda engineers. I happen to be an engineer, but for those who are not. Air must pass through the cooling fins, most of them anyways, not around them. :coocoo

·
Registered
1,944 Posts
There are forward mounted race radiators available, mostly custom made for the RC51. I am still toying with the idea of getting a set for my bike next spring.
Ken

·
Registered
699 Posts
Those look like they set you back some. I guess every bike has its flaws. I mean suzuki could have put a better suspension on the TL's.

·
Registered
11,918 Posts
NYCStripes ... what's the reliability etc on the RC like compared to the TL?

98ss - some WWII aircraft manufacturers might disagree with you :)

·
Registered
1,944 Posts
NYCStripes ... what's the reliability etc on the RC like compared to the TL?

98ss - some WWII aircraft manufacturers might disagree with you :)
I have had the RC51 since the end of the summer 2003, I have had no reliabilty issues whatsoever. Like most Honda's, the bike is solid and well built. Extremely reliable.
Ken

·
Premium Member
7,287 Posts
just tuned in :)

i have to agree with ken. but top end compared to my tls the RC fells stronger in the legs.

TLs is like a rolls royce in butt comfort wise :laugh compared to the brick seat on the RC-51.
ive never sat on a TLr but just looking at rubys the RC looks lighter & smaller/compacter.

ive never had either on a dyno as well. so its all seat of the pants feel.

last i red in the HONDA RED OWNERS MAGAZINE the full HRC-51 race kit was $20,000AUD

inc: gear clusters,heads,TBs,race rads/oil coolers,wiring loom,black box,dry clutch,full TI race system,cams,TI valves,etc etc :drool :drool which equaled in 1 to 1 power to waight RWHP.
where's that winning lotto ticket :laugh

i paid on the floor $21,000AUD plus all my mods $15,000AUD

·
Registered
1,944 Posts
The RC was more of a purpose built race replica than the TLR was. The TLR I believe tried to get both jobs accomplished (street/track). They could have done a better job since the TLS was already in production and designed the TLR to be a better track machine, but who knows what they were thinking.
I do love them both, albeit for different reasons.
Ken

·
Registered
601 Posts
wouldn't it be cheaper to start with a TLS frame and swap over the TLR motor, brakes, and then upgrade the suspension?

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
So basically what I'm getting is that if you drop the weight of the TLR, you're pretty much getting the same performance of the RC. But will the weight of the bike make that much of a difference if you're 6 2 280?

·
Premium Member
24,892 Posts
Not unless your pushing the bike really hard. Unless your a very experenced rider pushing the bike hard you won't be even close to useing all the performance the TL has to offer so don't worry about it. If your goal is improved performance/corner speed track school will make worlds more difference than a slightly lighter bike:thumbup

Motor wise the bikes are similar, if anything the TL's typically have a bit more mid-range and the RC's have a bit more top. At the last dyno day my TLS was 1hp down from a modded SP2 that was there, but the dyno op was the guy who built the SP2 and he kept running it till he got a higher number, he pulled my TLS off the dyno after the second run-up (all the other bikes were run up three times, the RC four)........The mid on the TL was a bit fatter than any of the other twins and the top end was better than all but the RC (and with equal dyno runs it may have bested that too).

Also note, that a big guy like you is going to be rather cramed and uncomfortable on an RC compared to a TL.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
thanks for the advice josh, I've really been thinking about getting my money together to go to a track day in feb

·
Premium Member
24,892 Posts
Do It! Riding a bike on a track (street, dirt, whatever) is awsome and builds a lot of skill in a hurry:thumbup

1 - 20 of 36 Posts