TLZone Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello it’s my first time posting on here,so please excuse any mistakes I made.
so what would you do to get this bike to start?Someone has told me thatthe tl have some kind of a clutch switch or something like that which needs to be pressed when starting the bike.PLEASE HELP ME!! any info you can give me will help me and is very much appreciated.

·
Registered
1998 TLS; 2001 TLR; 200X TLRSF
4,441 Posts
Welcome to the forum!

Tell us more about your project please.
How long has it been sitting?
When did it last run?
Does the engine crank over strongly?
Can you hear the fuel pump run through the three second prime cycle after key on?

What work have you done on it so far?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hey thank you so much! I now feel like there’s light at the ending of the tunnel.
ok so I got the bike 3 months ago,so all together it’s been sitting indoors for over a year. The guy I got it from made it into a naked bike. He changed the front ferring that holds the light , and he changed the light for an led light that had a ballast attached to it.
i removed that front ferring and light. Now the cluster is in bad shape and plugged in but doesn’t show or do anything.
i removed the gas tank to be able to access the motor/ battery.
The bike is completely dead! Turn the key and absolutely nothing happens. With the gas tank in place as well. No fuel pump noise nothing!

·
Registered
1998 TLS; 2001 TLR; 200X TLRSF
4,441 Posts
i removed the gas tank to be able to access the motor/ battery.
The bike is completely dead! Turn the key and absolutely nothing happens. With the gas tank in place as well. No fuel pump noise nothing!
Is there any voltage on the battery?
Do you have another battery available that could be used to power the system in order to troubleshoot?
Have you verified the fuses are good?
Have you spun the engine over manually to listen & feel for bad sounds or obstructions?
Do you have a set of new spark plugs handy? You may not need them initially, but in time you will.
Were you able to download the service manual?
Do you have a multimeter, and are you familiar with how it works?

Also, be sure to download the appropriate color wiring diagram from the link below.
Full Colour Wiring Diagrams

When you get to a point to attempt to start the engine, you will want to use new fuel instead of the old stuff.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Ok so I found a recommended battery for the bike, I’m gonna place the order soon,as well as spark plugs.
im going to get a multimeter tomorrow. I been wanting to for a long time. I don’t know how to use it though,but I’m sure I will learn. I’m gonna download the wiredia after this post.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts