TLZone Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
301 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm powdercoating my wheels and I'll need to remove the wheel bearings. Is there a trick to removal and reinstalling these?:O

·
Banned
5,308 Posts
No, take it to your kitchen

Your stove is your friend. Electric works the best but you can get by with gas. Block the wheel a few inches up above the element or the flame and heat the hub. When the edge of the spoke near the rim is almost too hot to touch, take it off the heat. Now use a 1/2"-3/4" wooden dowel and a small hammer to just tap the bearing out. It will almost fall out. Flip it over and heat just briefly, then tap it out. It is very easy and smooth and the bearings suffer no trauma from being hammered on by bearing drivers.

Install in reverse, heat the rim and freeze your bearings. They drop right in.

·
Scooter hottie chauffeur
4,663 Posts
I don't know if the TL is the same as the Tuna but on my Tuna you HAD to take out one of the bearings first, and then the other... I know that sounds silly but there was a definate sequence, can remember if the Right side had to come out first or the left side first but inside the hub is a spacer between the bearings. The hub is machineded in such a way as to let that spacer moved to the side so that you can tap the bearing out....

but only on one side.

if you try to go in from the other side, you can't get the spacer to move enough to catch the lip of the bearing and tap it out. Really drives you nuts until you figure out that you can tap out one bearing, remove the spacer, and then tap out the other..

heathing the hub is always good, chilling the bearing is good too if you can do it (little block of dry ice or some liquid nitrogen is pretty amazing. I soak my bearings in liquid nitrogen... They actually drop right in, no pounding, tapping, pushing, nothing.

this may all be bull for the TL so don't loose any sleep over it.

·
Banned
5,308 Posts
On the TL it does not matter which side comes out first, there is enough room to push the spacer to the side and it will come out either side, but on install they want the left in first on the front and the right in first on the rear. Don't forget the spacer or you will be doing it again.

·
Registered
722 Posts
THREAD REVIVAL That stove trick is slick! They fell right out like Buttah. What a wonderful day it is when I learn a new trick to defeat physics and Murphy's Law.

·
Registered
8,965 Posts
I used a propane torch and it was sweet. I also used it when I installed the new ones.

·
Registered
400 Posts
:thumbup Hey Van what's your take on ceramic bearings? Great info by the way.

·
Banned
5,308 Posts
:thumbup Hey Van what's your take on ceramic bearings? Great info by the way.
They are a nice upgrade, if you are looking to spend some money, less weight and less friction, but it comes at a price$$$

JerseyTLS can hook you up, if you need them.

·
Registered
198 Posts
Remove: Propane, wooden dowel, tap, falls right out.

Install: Took it to work to use the manual hydraulic press, went right in like butter, no pounding on the new bearings.:)

·
Registered
11,556 Posts
I've always done my bearings (road & motocross) the way Van says............except she won't let me use the cooker now :banghead So it's propane torch again & the bearings go in the freezer for a couple of hours first.

I also use a zinc chromate grease when re-installing the bearings, same stuff used on aircraft wheel bearings in the hubs.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts