TLZone Forums banner

What's your suspension set up and questions about "+" mod.

4K views 22 replies 7 participants last post by  Rm25088 
#1 ·
Hey guys. I am around 175 pounds and I was wondering what your guys suspension set up is. I only am going to be riding the street. Totally stock set up. Don't really plan on getting rid of the rotary set up in the back because I don't race. Just a casual rider... Also anyone have a good write up on the "+" mod and charge mod? I don't know if I will ever do the "+" mod if it requires hacking into the wiring a lot. The charge mod would probably be something I could do. I am not an electrical wizard. Thanks everyone. -Josh.

See less See more
#2 ·
Josh, Welcome to the Forum, if I haven't said that already.

I can't really offer any advice on suspension setup, because I replaced my rotary dampers years ago. They were simply too scary to deal with, even on the street. If you are okay with the Rotary, then someone will be along to give you some pointers I'm sure.

The Best write-up on the Charging Mod is the one contributed by D'Ecosse in the Frequent Mods Forum (link below). Even though many of the photo links don't work anymore, his write-up is very thorough and descriptive. Read through it and let us know if you have any questions afterwards. Ideally, the Headlight Relay Mod should also be implemented along with the Charging Mod. This combination will relieve the strain on the starter relay connector which is a common failure point. You will also have brighter headlights as a result.

Charging Mod -
Definitive Charging System Diagnostic & Upgrade Thread

Headlight Relay Mod -
Crappy Suzuki Wiring !

When these mods are done properly, there is no "hacking" involved, but it does require a little finesse to do an install that will be durable enough to stand the test of time.

#5 ·
Even if you don't race but you just want a bike that goes round corners and doesn't behave like a rollerskate then I'd recommend you ditch the rotary damper.
Conversion to a conventional shock transforms a TLR. These days the cheapest, simplest option if the Hagon. All new parts with a mounting kit so there is no messing about.
If you don't mind selling a few internal organs to pay for it you can still find the Ohlins option but they are getting scarce.

WRT the + mod, I'd say instead just fit a lithium battery. Saves you a chunk of weight but the starting power is in a different league to regular lead/acid jobs. I'd recommend the Shorai which are admittedly expensive but the differences are easy to appreciate.

#7 ·
Nope. Stock charging system works fine. You can buy the dedicated chargers to go with the Shorais (for another bazillion squids) but so far I've found my old optimate does a good enough job if I need to keep the thing topped up.

#8 ·
Fantastic thanks a lot man 👍. I bought a nice lithium battery charger for my ktm 450sxf and only used it once. So looks like today I will be ordering a lithium battery. I am also going to get a tinted wind shield and swingarm spools, some ngk plugs and whatever else I stumble across. Also going to get some led head light bulbs.

#9 · (Edited)
I ordered the shorai like you recommended. It was $170 us dollars. I also got a quick turn throttle tube, swing arm spools, a motorcycle cover, brake pads front and rear, hi flow airfilter, ngk dual electrode plugs cr9ek. Still looking for led head light bulbs and a double bubble tinted wind screen and possibly a tire hugger to keep the sand from getting to the paint.

#10 ·
Hey guys. I am around 175 pounds and I was wondering what your guys suspension set up is. I only am going to be riding the street. Totally stock set up. Don't really plan on getting rid of the rotary set up in the back because I don't race. Just a casual rider...
For me the biggest problem with the TL was how that damn steering damper made it as muddled as hell. It was sluggish and skittish at the same time. How is that possible?

Once I took it off, the thing which emerged was that it was very nervous over mid-corner road inputs. With bone stock settings it seemed like much too much compression fighting every little surface feature. I backed the compression damping out quite a bit from standard - at least five clicks. I left the rear standard but the forks never really felt great.

Then I changed the seals in the forks and put 10W oil in - a bit heavier than standard but it was what was to hand. I had to back out on both compression and rebound but the heavier oil seems to make it more sumptuous somehow. I still lack confidence in the front end but it's pretty reasonable now.

I also dropped the forks through the yokes about 10mm which stops it feeling so sluggish.

I don't really get any sense of there being much wrong at the back, it's just fairly stiff but not bouncy. One of my other bikes has an Öhlins rear on it, so it's not like I don't have a good reference.

Put fresh oil in your forks and click about a bit - especially less compression - and see where you get to.

That's my $0.02.

#12 ·
I was looking at after market steering stabilizers as the seals in mine are starting to fail. I put heavier weight oil in mine for now. I think I had 20wt laying around. I will order a ohlins or something soon depending on the money situation. I am sure they are not cheap.

#16 ·
Just remember, nothing changes, the stock electrical system is fine if you look after it (Including making sure the battery terminal connections are 100%)

This is the basic of the charge modification.
Take note, that one lead/wire to the left is the ground for the loom and all the multi crimps inside the loom.
I did thousands of kms, rain hail or whatever including hammering along in the dark far from home with no drama... Of course I did it on the original clutch push rod seal also. :sneaky:

#18 ·
Ah, Les. I've greatly missed the crayon drawings. So simple and so clear.

#21 ·
Just keeping it real Jeff.

You know that was from a Saturday morning a very long time ago while swapping messages with someone in the USA (My 'paint skills were at newbie level) .. I said I will make a picture and that was it, a serious picture I might add.

Here is another of my favourites from those days.

Egg Fashion accessory Egg

#20 ·
I would attempt it but it looks intimidating. I am not a wiring guru. Definitely my weak point in my mechanical abilities. I did get the Shorai lithium battery and that seems to have added a little more strength to starting the bike and also shedded a few extra pounds. We will see. If everything goes to plan I should be on the road next week for the first time on this bike and I am really excited. Taking it for a real ride will tell me a lot about what else I need to do. Up to this point it has just been personal preference stuff. I also got a TRE eliminator in the mail. I will know of I should put it on after the first couple minutes of romping on it.

#22 ·
RM dude, If I can do electrical anyone can (With SteveTLS lots of help)

Steve also sent me a drawing which I also used back then which was the head light going out when you hit the starter.
I removed the HD from my old PC on a trip back to New Zealand last year so I have over 7000 TL related pictures (except for the not for the public ones) again.
My #2 TLS is not looking so bad for 13 years in the dark/storage come Oct 17th.
A time capsule from 2007.

Land vehicle Motorcycle Vehicle Motor vehicle Fuel tank

#23 ·
Well that's refreshing to hear then 😂😂 I will be looking into it for sure. The headlights shutting off while starting it would be nice, a long with the fan switch mod because that sucker gets hot before those fans kick on.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.