TLZone Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
coming home frome work fiday night i was going down the a38 pretty much flat out on my 2000 tl1000r and it started to die on me and a horrible noise came from the engine, i pulled the clutch in,hit the kill switch and coasted down to the nearest place i could stop.

went to start it to see where the sound was coming from and it sounded like a ducati so i turned it off straight away.

got it back to my house and decided to start it one more time to figure out what was making the noise, seems the engine is running fine and is still sounding sweet but the horrible ducati clunking noise is coming from the bottom of the bike towards the back making me think it was the gear box.

ive just been outside and tried it again and it goes into gear fine and feels nice and smooth.

anybody have an idea what could be making it sound this way???

·
Registered
1,191 Posts
Sounds like your big end bearings are toast. Same thing happened to mine.

·
Registered
2,879 Posts
yep, sounds like bearings. local S just had the same thing happen, at about mile 90k on the clock.

if it were me, I'd just source a used motor and build it up, then sell off the old one.

or..if you have alot of time, really rebuild the one you've got. not cheap however you slice it.

·
Registered
1,041 Posts
Sounds like your big end bearings are toast. Same thing happened to mine.
:stupid sorry dude but I agree.
Cant remember where someone was selling an engine, it was either here on the zone or it was Egay.
Will check with my mate as he has some insurance right off's coming in on Thursday.
Best of luck.......

·
Registered
1,191 Posts
its an r

how much did it cost you to fix friday,man
When mine went, the Suzuki gasket kit alone cost around £300! So a very friendly member, SaffieD, sourced another motor for me for a very good price at the time. Best place to find another motor is on here, then ebay (not too often though), then breakers (stay away from DK Spares though!). I posted a link to a chap selling a crashed TLR for £750 a week or two ago - http://www.tlzone.net/forums/showthread.php?t=78522 - you could see if he still has that bike and then sell the bits that you don't need (frame, wheels, swinger, etc) and probably break even on the whole deal!

·
Moderator,
5,038 Posts
I have a link to a TLR that has just been sold on Ebay, went for £560, (I bid £500) so I know the user name of the guy who bought it, may be worth a shot to see if he is breaking it, Ficheman is selling an S engine

1 - 8 of 8 Posts