1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
318 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, how 'bout these?

ProTaper Seven Eighths. In black, natch. :thumbup

Why not fatbars? Because...

(1) I am too poor/cheap to spring for both bars AND mounts, not to mention saving my pennies for a track day. I know there's deals on the intarweb, but I didn't want to wait (see point 2).

(2) There's a track day coming up, and these were in stock at the dealership where the warranty claim was filed.

That's right, I said "warranty claim":

(Instead of insisting I wait a week for an OEM replacement, the dealership was nice enough to credit the MSRP of OEM towards the PT SE. Woo hoo!)

What's wrong with this picture? :confused

Mileage update :)boring), 20sept06:

·
Pygmy looking for a new name
14,150 Posts
zelig said:
What's wrong with this picture? :confused
1. Barkbusters on a bike that stays on the road.
2. Improper use of a bucket.
3. Grass is too high and green, you must be violating water restrictions.
4. Grass needs to be mowed.

:D

·
Registered
318 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Ever since the city started hassling everyone about piddly code violations (i.e. 'that tree branch is four inches too low'), I've decided to engage them in their own game.

[her:] "Honey, isn't it time to mow the lawn?" :confused
[me:] "When it gets too tall, we'll be notified by mail." :devious
[her:] :banghead :rant
[me:] :laugh

But seriously, you're 0 for 4. (The bucket was TOTALLY asking for it.)

·
Registered
8,965 Posts
Well let's see........first off, those dang stock bars were poo poo anyway.

What does the DR-Z need? Well, a big bore kit is one thing it wanted badly, but I never gave it. Also you could get a set of slicks for track days :devious It could also want a KTM to sleep with it and go to the track for it.

But, I think you chose well giving it new bars and a track day.......:thumbup

P.S. plus who listens to Jasen anyway, and those ain't barkbusters boyo, they are Acebis Rally Pro handguards!:rant

P.P.S. You could also significantly SHORTEN the suspension so Jasen could reach the ground and ride it on track days.:coocoo

·
14,150 Posts
Who needs to reach the ground on trackdays?

What do you need hand guards for on the street? Not like your gonna be hitting mirrors lane splitting or anything? :) Buncha unnecessary bling.

Well, unecessary until it gets cold, then I know Zelig will get some use with the wind protection. But we both know ole Douggie doesn't go out when it's cold. :)

·
Registered
2,695 Posts
gixxerjasen said:
What do you need hand guards for on the street? Not like your gonna be hitting mirrors lane splitting or anything? :)
'cause when/if he goes down, those rally handguards will save a lot of grief. My buddy Sean has a CRF450R supermoto with the same hand guards. He was at a track day with a guy who was riding a DRZSM with no handguards. They got bunched up in a corner and both went down. One got up and rode the rest of the day, and one had to buy a new brake lever and reservoir. Which one do think faired better? :coocoo

·
Registered
318 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Tucker's got it: crash damage abatement. Handguards protect levers. (Yes, that is a kickstarter. :yes SWEET.)

OldTLSDoug said:
It could also want a KTM to sleep with it and go to the track for it.
That mean you're coming out on Monday? :devious Come on, nuclear power plants practically run themselves!

·
Premium Member
24,892 Posts
Yep, virtually all the SM's I've seen racing use full wrap around handguards for crash damage mitigation.

·
14,150 Posts
I know I know, I was giving him crap cuz he's been talking about getting some wheels and giving the DRZ a taste of different terrain. :)

·
Registered
2,695 Posts
gixxerjasen said:
I know I know, I was giving him crap...
yah, sure you were. tryin to save face now? :laugh

·
14,150 Posts
Nope, actually we've had discussions about it. He and I just started mountain biking and I'm trying to get him into the dirt with motorcycles. :)

·
Premium Member
24,892 Posts
did someone mention dirt and motorcycles?

Here's a pic from my highschool days for old times sake:banana

·
Registered
318 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Problem is, everyone's catching wind of the same idea and driving dirt rim prices up to the level of an SM set. :rant

So, doesn't anyone else think it's weird that the levers are poking out from under the handguards? I'm too dense to remember how it was before the new bar (free installation!) but it seems like the levers should come up or the guards down.

·
14,150 Posts
Ya know, I was gonna say something cuz I like em tucked inside the guards to protect from tree branches, but I figured you had them where the levers were comfortable and natural. Whenever I get a new bike I always loosen everything up and set it up for me. Just figured that was where you liked them is all. They should still be protected from pavement though in the event of a crash I'd think...at least from that pic.

·
Registered
8,965 Posts
Bastages! Farging iceholes, I hate shitty work!!!!!!! Didn't notice, too excited about my UPS box I guess :devious

Anyway they should be like this

Of course, you could get some Cycra Guards....:devious

·
Chief Moderator for my kids Julia & Kristen,
5,503 Posts
The stock bars on the DRZ have to be the most pathetic ever shipped. Amazing. The ironic thing is the better aftermarket ones probably cost less than OEM anyway.

So, what does my DRZ that has everything need? I have thought about that and concluded it needs a WR450. :laugh I might as well get a different bike before throwing that much money at her with the big bore kits. She will probably get an FCR carb and some Ferrea valves this winter though.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts