TLZone Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
whats up had my tl for a couple of months but during driving through the city the temperature just rises and the fans dont turn on ........anybody know the temperature they should click on:banghead

·
Registered
585 Posts
I think the fans kick on at 220 degrees

I think my bike shuffles between 232 and 220 degrees in stop and go traffic

·
Registered
132 Posts
You may already have done this but: I use Redline's Water wetter and I have not seen temps over 195. Given I have only had this beast for a month or so but I do sit in stop and go traffic out here is SoCal. I let it idle in my garage to see when the fans would come on and it actually took quite a while with me revving the bike and such. Fans came on same as EDS: 220 or so. Redline makes some good stuff. You pay for it though. Wish paying for their oil was feasible.

·
Premium Member
1,171 Posts
yup, 220-ish F (=105C). You can also install a manual fan switch. Also check if your fans are not restricted in their movement somehow as happened to one of my fans. Just turn them by hand with the ignition off and see if they turn around a bit.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
so on the v- twin engines thats the temp..... and the fan is not restricted it turns when i move it ....

·
Premium Member
1,171 Posts
did you see them turn on when the temp is about 221 (=105C)? It takes a while when you run the bike idle and rev it a bit, they should eventually turn on.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
wel l it went up to 225 and the gas light started blinking ... i guess cause it was heating up but the fan never clicked on at all

·
Premium Member
1,171 Posts
any error messages FI (red) blinking and Cxx?
The gas light might just be you're low on gas

·
Registered
585 Posts
whats the highest temperature you've seen on the bike?

I think the fans kicked on at 220 degrees with the TLS temp gage setup. I switched my bike to the TLR temp gage setup and I know it kicked on when the temp read hotter on the dash, (the bike is the same temperature, but the reading is taken at a different spot on the bike so the dash reading is different than it used to be)

·
Registered
132 Posts
I have not seen temps over 195.
Sorry, correction is due. It was 73 outside today and I was sitting in traffic(mostly cause I get bored of splitting lanes) and she got up to 210. Still not bad though.

·
Upside Down Super Mod,
29,856 Posts
105/106C (~220/225F) is about normal for the fans to come on.

The dash will alternate between the temperature and 'HI' when it reaches 120C (248F) and the manual says to stop and let it cool down then.

But at 140C (284F) it really cracks the shits with you and lets you know in the dash.

220F isn't overheating in stop - go traffic, it is if it does it constantly on the move though. 176F is when it's just warmed up. 176-186 is normal running temperature for them.

·
Registered
1,076 Posts
:stupid

My S, fans on 224 just like the manual says. I may have a different manual from Steve, I'm pretty sure mine says on at 224, 248 is hot, 284 shut it down. I think those are great numbers considering once it's above 200 my legs are already looking for a way to get some airflow. 224 is almost unbearable. I think the only way it'd get hot enough to actual overheat is if I left it idling in the SoCal heat. Of course in that situation I think it'd get stolen before it gets that hot.

Good luck,

C

·
Upside Down Super Mod,
29,856 Posts
Owners manual says the LED will come on at 120C / 248F and "HI" will be displayed at 140C 284F but says shut it down at 120C / 248F

;)

From the book

When the coolant temperature is higher than 120C (248F), the display flickers and the indicator light comes on. Further, if the temperature exceeds 140C (284F), the display blinks "HI" and the indicator light remains on.
Also in the book.

Caution

Running the Engine with high engine coolant temperature can cause serious engine damage. If the engine coolant temperature indicates more than 120C (248F) and the indicator light comes on, stop the engine and let it cool.

Do not run the engine until the coolant temperature indicates less than 120C (248F)

Page 16 in the owners manual

·
Registered
125 Posts
Have you checked your thermo fan switch to see if it's actually making to cut the fans in???

·
Registered
601 Posts
I'm not positive on the R, but the S's fan wiring happens to come out right about were the horn wires are and they will connect if you want to test the fan unit(s), or you can leave it for a ghetto fan switch.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts