TLZone Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
196 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am going to look at a 2000 TLR tommrow and it has 22k on it is that too high for mileage or is it nothing to worry about. The bike is rough but it does run and I can possibly get it for a decent price. It does need lots of TLC...

S

·
0 Posts
it depends on who and how the 22,000 miles were put on the bike, i know guys that put 20,000 miles of stunt riding on a bike in a summer. Those bikes would be considered high milage, my TL has 18,000 miles on it and it's perfect I put every one of those miles on it and even though some would be considered hard miles i take great care of it so i would say my bike is low milage! Does it have stock gearing?? If it has bigger sprocket in the rear or a smaller one in the front the milage may indicate higher than actual.

·
Registered
3,289 Posts
Mine is a 2k model with 12,000 miles on(had 5,000 on when i got it last year). As long as it has had regular oil/filter changes and has had the valve clearances checked it should be ok. Some owner have clocked up huge milages on here:thumbup

·
Registered
196 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Yea the guy selling it is the second owner and he is in the military and is moving over seas and is not taking it with him. I agree I guess it reall depends on how it was cared for. We'll see tommrow after I take it for a ride.

S

·
0 Posts
Good luck, most of these japanese motors are bullet proof but you can break them if you try hard enough. Also look at the rear damper mounts:)

·
Registered
196 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
What happens to the rear damper mount? I thought I read on here something about them cracking or is it something else?

Thanks

·
Registered
412 Posts
I dunno, but I have had my Tiller 3 yrs. Just about to hit 20k on the clock. The only replacements have been a clutch pushrod seal, rear exhaust gasket, and a new chain and sprockets, and a new clutch, (not including fresh rubber every season). I run her to redline and max out the speedo on a weekly basis......I just don't drag the bike

I have had had 5 bikes previous and have found my soul mate. If you are looking for an investment, buy it. There are plenty of parts available for the Tiller, especially on this site and Egay

·
Registered
196 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Well if I do pick it up it will be my second TLR. I took it for a ride today the engine feels strong but OH MY GOD I barley got on the front brakes and it was like a high speed wobble either one of two things the front rotors are trashed which is what he claims or the bearings in the neck are toast. When I got on the brakes the wheel and lower portion of forks shook back and forth. But other than that all the issues I seen were cosmetic..And I am buying this with the understanding it is going to be my winter project.

·
Registered
487 Posts
With that shake action goin on up front I'm going with your head bearing are wasted. I had an R1 with that same problem and it came from too many wheelies. It was like 4 bills to fix it too. Sounds like your front shocks are FKed also. Oh and in this case I would consider the amount of miles as alot. Did you ask the owner if he stunted. Good luck braugh.

·
Premium Member
24,892 Posts
Maintence and care make much more difference than mileage. 22k is nothing if its been well cared for.

BTW the shock mounts sully mentioned are only an issue on the TLS and then only if you use the stock rotory damper (which most folks ditch for an aftermarket unit).

And yep, sounds like loose head bearings. Warped rotors can make some pulsing/surging under braking, but shouldn't really make the wheel/forks move in relation to the bike's frame (except for compressing/extended the front forks)

good luck

·
Registered
196 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Yea the owner I can tell by the way he was talking I doubt he was doing any wheelies. It was a toss up between the rotors being warped or the bearings being toast..The engine dosen't concern me too much if it came down to rebuilding it I'd do it.. I know I orginally ask if it was considered high mileage but the more I think about it 22k is not that high.

Thanks for the help.

·
Premium Member
24,892 Posts
Yeah, 22k isn't much at all. I put that much on my TLS in the last year alone:lol

·
Registered
196 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
He is asking $3k obo but he might get upset when he hears what I want to offer him for the bike. I am only going to offer him $2k for a few reasons firts is that the bike has been dropped twice (slow speed) it needs a new rt fairing, upper fairing, rear brake foot lever, front brake lever, rt clip on (maybe), new chain and sprockets well you guys get the idea..

1 - 14 of 14 Posts