TLZone Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Premium Member
7,285 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
WHAT I DO ON JANUARY LONG WEEKENDS:

BEACHPORT - SE of south australia:
7 days of bliss whitch consists of 2 bottles of de cuyper butterscotch schnapps :yumyum , 2 cartons of bacardi breazers (mixed flavours) 2 cartons of bourbon (cougar & jack daniels) 2 carton of vodka smirnoff (mixed flavours) & 2 bottles of rum port incase i run out. oh & surf fishing if im not feeling sick :laugh
carton = 24 bottles/cans

all bigguns:

our camp foreground on the right 3 mitsubishi pagero's & building is toilets ,showers & laundry.

start of a day run. discussing whose tail end charlie whats involved , radio checks,letting air out of tyres to 15psi etc.
*NOTE: one day the beach is hard as you see & 1 hr later its like quick sand*

start of the dunes: (this is a conservation park *stick to the tracks & clean up behind you/dont f#+k it up for others & your self in the long run* or you can loose you veichle by law / national parks & wildlife)

in the real dunes now WEeeeeee :laugh (cant wait to get my KTM 950 SE :devious)
seen a few inexperianced 4WD'ers draged out of here :coocoo

how to do a tyre change/rotation with out a jack :laugh

veichle on the right getting reversed snatched & key start roll back out.

coast shot: now if i keep swimming straight out there i'll eventualy get to visit MIKE FORD :laugh

·
Registered
1,380 Posts
:) Looks like a bloody nice spot Veetwo.
Good size dunes too.
All you need now is a paddle tyre for the XR :devious trust me you wouldn't be dissapointed.

·
Premium Member
7,285 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
:) Looks like a bloody nice spot Veetwo.
Good size dunes too.
All you need now is a paddle tyre for the XR :devious trust me you wouldn't be dissapointed.
i have had the XR in there on knobbys :laugh bloody hard work but fun. that big dune i got up not even quarter way hitting it at 80KPH :laugh
thats why i want the KTM 950 SE if i dont get up with 950cc i'll at least go through it :laugh

when you hit the top you back off its the same on the other side :eek

the main problem is getting there with a paddle on. you got to ride some bituman road first. guess i could trailer it in but then ive never seen anyone take a trailer in that far im sure you would get bogged its very very soft drift sand.

·
Registered
1,380 Posts
You gotta do it mate. Me and a few mates spent 2 weeks up at Stockton dunes near Newcastle.
We all had paddle tyres and i swear it was the most fun i had on a dirt bike.
you wouldn't belive the difference they make. 30Ft rooster tails:devious
Their cheaper than knobbys too. i thimk i only paid $90 for mine
Hell as long as you only used it on the sand i could lend it to you but the shipping might be a killer. They just dont wear on the sand. Well not in the 2 weeks i had it on anyway.

·
Premium Member
7,285 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
You gotta do it mate. Me and a few mates spent 2 weeks up at Stockton dunes near Newcastle.
We all had paddle tyres and i swear it was the most fun i had on a dirt bike.
you wouldn't belive the difference they make. 30Ft rooster tails:devious
Their cheaper than knobbys too. i thimk i only paid $90 for mine
Hell as long as you only used it on the sand i could lend it to you but the shipping might be a killer. They just dont wear on the sand. Well not in the 2 weeks i had it on anyway.
:idea
i'll buy a second rear wheel from the wreckers & fit a paddle :thumbup
then throw the wheel in the back of the old mans 4WD i just swap over when we get out there for a play then reswap back for the rest of the trip up the track :)

Q: what gearing :confused Hmmm i use normal track/enduro 14/15-48. maybe 48 will be ok :O. on road i run 15-45/42

unfortunatly i wont be there this year 2007 :( to broke to go. work wise.

im looking forward in getting the KTM after throwing the XR around all these years in sand i cant see the KTM being any harder IE: lighter frame , more power/tourque. im expecting it to be on par with the XR630 in the sand.

·
I was Ukgixxerman
2,072 Posts
excellent pics mate:hail looks like one hell of an experience:thumbup

·
Premium Member
24,892 Posts
Looks like an awsome time:hail

I spent just over 3 weeks playing in dunes a few years ago. All two-wheeled play of course. I second the paddle tire notion. It takes vastly more power to get the same drive with knobby as you'll get with a paddle if at all. I would think that you could trailer to wherever it starts to get soft, then ride from there or perhaps tow the trailer over the sand. A small light trailer would probably be un-noticed by a stoute ute. Jet ski folks use trailers with really wide tires sometimes:O

I used a cheep cheng-chen or whatever the name is paddle tire and it worked perfectly. Look for one that's moulded rather than the type that's made by shaving down a knobby and glueing on paddles (skat-track used to be like this - might still be for all I know). I think my paddle was ~$40 (USD). I rode ~8hours a day for ~3 weeks on it and it has very little wear, just some minor tearing on the tips from riding accross hard roads and stuff like that.

You don't need huge power to make a paddle tire go well. I was on a '93 KX250 (~40bhp and 225lbs I'd guess) and it went very very well with a paddle.

·
Premium Member
7,285 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
cheng-chen nothing wrong with them :)
ive try'ed a lot of top brand knobbys on the XR & the C755 cheng-chen knobby gets the same KLMS as all the others for what the bike is used for. 510 X 18 = $116AUD

1 - 8 of 8 Posts