TLZone Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
602 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've got the stock hand grips on my TLR< but I'm thinking I'd like something a little softer, maybe with some rubber nubs, or more of a "Gel" feel to it. Does anybody have a set of grips that they SWEAR BY and would recommend to anyone? I tend to do long rides, and I can imagine that a little extra cushion under my wrists would help reduce fatigue. Thanks in advance for the feedback

·
Registered
967 Posts
bump it!

Ze needz the Info Lebowsky!!!

·
Premium Member
24,892 Posts
I use the symtec/dual star grip heaters, $26 from CA sport touring, work great, have ~40k miles on them now and still working. For grips I use pro-grip gell superbike grips, don't remember which model number. Not a huge difference from stock, but a bit softer/stickier.

here's what they look like, look closely and you can see the wire for the grip heaters too:)

Figure up some way of insulating the bar and they will get hoter more quickly too. I used 3M electrical tape which works ok, except that the adheasive gets soft with the heaters on high and allows the grips to move around a little...Self adhesive shrink wrap would be perfect but its sorta hard to find it in 7/8" or 1" sizes without buying from a commercial supplier in bulk.

·
Registered
602 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
And the heat transfers well through the grips I'm assuming. :O
I use the symtec/dual star grip heaters, $26 from CA sport touring, work great, have ~40k miles on them now and still working. For grips I use pro-grip gell superbike grips, don't remember which model number. Not a huge difference from stock, but a bit softer/stickier.

here's what they look like, look closely and you can see the wire for the grip heaters too:)

Figure up some way of insulating the bar and they will get hoter more quickly too. I used 3M electrical tape which works ok, except that the adheasive gets soft with the heaters on high and allows the grips to move around a little...Self adhesive shrink wrap would be perfect but its sorta hard to find it in 7/8" or 1" sizes without buying from a commercial supplier in bulk.

·
Registered
1,518 Posts
you would hate my grips!!!! chromed billet.

I've got the stock hand grips on my TLR< but I'm thinking I'd like something a little softer, maybe with some rubber nubs, or more of a "Gel" feel to it. Does anybody have a set of grips that they SWEAR BY and would recommend to anyone? I tend to do long rides, and I can imagine that a little extra cushion under my wrists would help reduce fatigue. Thanks in advance for the feedback

·
Registered
602 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Ouch... DOUBLE ouch in the cold!
I'm definitely more of a "Functional" type of guy than a "Fashionable" type of guy... although I can appreciate some bling.

·
Premium Member
24,892 Posts
And the heat transfers well through the grips I'm assuming. :O
Yep, amazingly well. With thin (i.e. normal unlined leather race style) gloves they will get uncomfortably hot on high and just right on low. On cold and/or wet days with my insulated waterproof held gloves (quite thick) I flip them on high and am quite comfortable down to around 25 deg F. Much below that my fingers still get a little chilly but not bad at all.

I like them so much I ordered two more pair, one for the DR and one for the CR - now I just want to find some 7/8" or larger self adhesive shrink tube:D

Its worth noting that the instructions say to splice into the headlight power (or some existing key'd circut) to run the grip heaters. I absolutely would not recomend using the supplied quick, solderless splices as they are very failure prone and I'm not crazy about adding more load to an already shoddy circut. I ended up running wire straight to the battery (fused of course) with a relay triggered off the tail light circut. This way you can't kill the bat by leaving them on accidentlly and no worries about them either shorting out and poping a fuese for something importaint (like a headlight) or adding more draw to a circut that may be somewhat marginal to start with. I got the fuse holder and relay at radio shack IIRC and mounted it under the tailsection plastics to the right side between the front and back seats (lots of extra, fairly clean, dry space there).

My CR runs an AC circut with no bat so no relay needed there. Haven't decided how I'll do it on the DR yet, probably same as the TL...

have fun

·
Registered
433 Posts
I have thought about the heated grips and I have never tried them, but it surely seems as though your hands will only be warmed on the underside! What about the forward top area that takes the brunt of the cold air when riding? I know good gloves help. But, even with a good pair of gloves, I have to wonder does will your hands sweat?...what about when you're stopped at intersections?

·
Registered
602 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I'd prefer a little sweat to numb fingers any day. I've ridden a cruiser that had heated hand grips, and you'd be surprised how warm your entire hand will get just from having a heat source on the inside. The backside of your knuckles may still be chilly, but at least you will have feeling in your fingers
I have thought about the heated grips and I have never tried them, but it surely seems as though your hands will only be warmed on the underside! What about the forward top area that takes the brunt of the cold air when riding? I know good gloves help. But, even with a good pair of gloves, I have to wonder does will your hands sweat?...what about when you're stopped at intersections?

·
Registered
2,799 Posts
Pro Grip all the way...many styles to choose from also in colors...

·
Registered
433 Posts
I'd prefer a little sweat to numb fingers any day. I've ridden a cruiser that had heated hand grips, and you'd be surprised how warm your entire hand will get just from having a heat source on the inside. The backside of your knuckles may still be chilly, but at least you will have feeling in your fingers

I see your point...I'm not opposed to heated grips. I just hope if it gets cold enough and my fingers to get too numb..then either thicker, better gloves or I guess you could consider me a fair weather guy.

Q: Is there a thermostat of sorts on the grips...or some sort of mod can be done?

·
Registered
146 Posts
For grips I use pro-grip gell superbike grips, don't remember which model number. Not a huge difference from stock, but a bit softer/stickier.

Pro Grip Gel #699. I have 'em on every bike I own. 1st mod. I even keep a couple spare sets on the shelf in case one gets trashed or , God forbid, they get discontinued.

EDIT: Take note there are 2 of the 699 models. Race and Gel

http://www.motorcycle-superstore.com/manufacturer.aspx?manufacturer=106

·
Premium Member
24,892 Posts
Cool, I dig em:thumbup

And yep, heated grips do wonders, just given them a shot - I don't know of even one person who had tried them and not totally loved them. If you ride in cool weather at all they are very nice to have:thumbup

·
Registered
602 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
With a LOW, HIGH, and OFF setting, I'm sure you can keep your hands at a comfortable temperature with little effort. Especially if you mounted the swith somewhere that you could flip it without taking your hands off the bars.

·
Registered
1,076 Posts
Pro Grip all the way...many styles to choose from also in colors...

Just changed to these when I put in my Rifleman's insert. Kill two birds with one stone. I noticed a little difference in the feel, but huge difference in the way it looks. I got the red ones to match my bike and surpised that they stand out as much as they do. Just enough red to tie them into the bike but not so much it looks gaudy. As far as function goes, I'd say there's tons of different ones to choose from. Foamy, gel, rubber, chrome, you name it they got. Plus they're not too expensive so it's not too much to change them out if they end up not working for you.

C

·
Registered
471 Posts

·
Registered
211 Posts
has anyone done a how to write up on the installation of the heated grips?

·
Premium Member
24,892 Posts
I can do one with pics in the next week or two. Its really really easy though, ya just stick them on then hook up the wires in whatever way suits your fancy:)

·
Registered
211 Posts
i was just thinking, if someone could do a step by step with pictures, we could get it moved over to the top as a sticky. or over to the file vault.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts