TLZone Forums banner
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
1,467 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I bought the GSXR600 last night, I only rode it a little bit in Dallas, it had an anitfreeze smell, but he assured me that it was just topped off when he had it serviced. I got it home and rode it later today just for a little bit. It had a leak, I pulled the lower fairings and the radiator was overflowing into the overflow tank. I played with the radiator cap, and bled the system of air, best I could, and it seemed to be OK. I rode it for about 20minutes, parked it in the garage, and the middle of the radiator is shooting a stream onto the exhaust.
I called him, told him this, and he said that the bike had been crashed to some degree, but he didn't tell me that, I couldn't see any signs of a crash. He said he has the radiator that is out of it, and he is sending it to me, and said I could install it. I said I don't want to install this radiator, it looks very difficult!! So he said take it to a shop and let them do it, and he is sending me a check to pay for it. Fishy.

I told him how dissappointed I was, and was going to put it on the track this Friday and could have been badly hurt or hurt someone else!! He said it's a done deal and can't refund my money, so I"m stuck?

I guess I'll take it to Motorcycles unlimited and let Patrick install it!
What do I do?
dnee'

·
Registered
11,001 Posts
...if he's sending you a check, don't cash it - take him to court, that's a good admission of guilt right there since it sounds like he knew exactly what he was selling you and didn't disclose it...

Do you know any lawyers that you could get some friendly advice from?...

·
Registered
1,467 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yes, my brother will be talking to a friend/ attorney tomorrow. Now I haven't gotten the check yet, but I will do as you say and hang on to it. I did sign the paper "as Is", so I've only spoke to family and they seem to think I'm stuck. Just get the radiator and hope that takes care of it.

·
Registered
1,467 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I just informed my husband in Bogota' what I'm going through~ he is furious, and you don't want to be near him when he's that way~! He doesn't tolerate crap like this and he has the best attorneys money can buy. I love him! Anyway, here is a photo of my bike, I still like it, I just hope I can get it fixed!!

·
Registered
2,337 Posts
Good looking bike!!! It may have been sold as is, but he didn't disclose a true and accurate history of the bike. If you would have known the history of the bike you may have looked elsewhere instead of buying that one. I would do just as BX said. Don't cash the check if you get it. If you take him to court and win a judgement against him you can use the check to get his account information to garnish his account. Winning a judgement does not automatically mean that they will pay up. I won a judgement and had to garnish an account recently. Good luck!

·
Registered
11,918 Posts
Can't help other than offer commisorations but that there is another picture for my .../bikes/babes/TLZone folder :devious

·
Chief Moderator for my kids Julia & Kristen,
5,503 Posts
The radiator can probably be repaired at not too bad a cost. Check these guys out http://www.motorcycleradiators.com/

After getting the radiator fixed, have a good mechanic look it over in detail to make sure there are no other "surprises". If it was crashed, there should be evidence. As you know very well know, you don't need problems or a lack of confidence in your bike's integrity on the track. Assuming all it needs is a sub $100 radiator repair and the rest is fine, just let it go. Sort the bike, make a clean break and enjoy :)

·
Pygmy looking for a new name
14,150 Posts
And if the radiator is good that he's sending I'd not pay to replace it. Radiators are easy to install. For gixxer's it's usually three screws, two at the top and one at the bottom, and a bunch of clamps on the hoses. Disconnect all the hoses, disconnect the screws, pull out, put new one in, install screws install hoses and your done. Probably have a temp sensor in it that you can disconnect with a quick disconnect and perhaps the fan via quick disconnect. Pull the plastics off it and you'll see that it's not too bad of a job to do yourself.

I can see some rash there on the right hand side but other than that the bike looks sweet. The color is fantastic and you can ride with your yellow stuff and still look cool and color coordinated. I wouldn't even think of painting those sweet looking plastics. I still think perhaps you got a good deal.

Here is what I would do. I'd do a combination of the above. Take it to your bike shop and have them go over it, see if anything else is requiring repair or replacement and not just cosmetic. If it's just the radiator then go with Duken's plan. Install the new radiator and be done with the deal. If it's fukked then go after him.

When he was working the deal did he mention anything about it being wrecked? Did he say anything about it when you went to pick it up?

Finally, I'd like to offer a personal suggestion. Next time buy new. You seem to have the worst luck with used bikes I've ever seen. :) Hope it all works out for you.

·
Registered
301 Posts
I had a pinhole leak on my CBR929 radiator and I put some Barrs Stop Leak in it and it worked like a charm. I've ridden thousands of miles since then without a problem. FWIW

·
Registered
1,944 Posts
I would also suspect more air in the system, I would also take both radiators to a radiator shop and have them both pressure tested for leaks. You can also replace the thermostat which can cause this issue is its stuck, another simple item to replace.
Just FYI, a friend of mine took his Aprilia to the dealer for service, they replaced the coolant, did it improperly and the bike acted a lot like yours did, wound up almost causing a crash on the track from the anti-freeze pissing out of the bike.
Cause=air in the system. You should also take this opportunity to replace the fluid with Water Wetter or Engine Ice coolant for the track.
Good Luck
Ken

·
Registered
110 Posts
Advice from an old git that's been around the block a few times? -
Replace the rad ,and it if the bike is straight otherwise, just get on with enjoying it. As for the rest? Put it down to experience, you can give yourself a whole lot of grief chasing these things, sometimes it's better to just move on.

·
Registered
1,467 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Thanks guys, makes me feel better just to hear ya'll talk and suggest things. The didn't actually tell me about the crash until the next day, when he said he didn't even know about it! Yeah sure!
I was laying in bed this morning, and thinking, hell I'll just do as Jasen says, I'll pull the radiator and install the other. I know there's very little that I can't do these days. The main thing is I don't know how to properly purge the system of air. Is there a bleed somewhere on the motor, or just use the highest point on the radiator.

When I had thought I fixed it, that's when the radiator could get full pressure and that's when the radiator started the stream. Before that, it just was't able to develope pressure enough. It did maintain level temperture in the time it ran and the fan motor did kick on about 215. I guess these bikes run maybe a little hotter 190 or so? I honestly think the bike is going to be Ok, I will replace the antifreeze as Ken said, and use what's in my TLR. Jasen, I could kick my butt for not letting you meet up with me, but it was a long ride, and just wanted to get home. bummer
thanks yall

·
Registered
1,467 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
THanks Dr. Phibes! After breakfast, I'm going to go ahead and remove the radiaotor, I don't have anything better to do today. Besides, If I put it in the shop today, I won't see the bike until next Wednesday or Thursday!

I can do some running around like get the water wetter, or something similar, and flush the system even with the old radiator it, and have that part done. The guy said he had it serviced, but the oil filter didn't look new. I may go ahead and put Motul and new filter while I'm there. Hows that sound ya'lll?

·
Premium Member
2,526 Posts
A good day of going over her with a fine tooth comb sounds good to me. If nothing else, it'll give you some peace of mind that all is well and also be a good bonding experience... :D

·
Moderator,
2,701 Posts
Good idea, Might want to inspect you brake wear also. As far as purging goes, follow a hose back to the water pump and there is a bolt on there to remove. Have a bucket ready and take one out at a time. (usually right below the pipe/hose connection) that will drain some of the fluid out. Then there is one above that will bleed the air out. They usually look a little different than the bolts that mount the water pump. Take the lower out once you find it and loosen the top and the fluid will drain out.

·
Registered
871 Posts
Dr. Phibes said:
Advice from an old git that's been around the block a few times? -
Replace the rad ,and it if the bike is straight otherwise, just get on with enjoying it. As for the rest? Put it down to experience, you can give yourself a whole lot of grief chasing these things, sometimes it's better to just move on.
:stupid

·
Pygmy looking for a new name
14,150 Posts
Ok, couple of things. Did you ask him about that rash spot clearly visible on the right side of the bike? That to me would be a clear indicator that it's been down. Unless that's just something funky in the picture, but that part of the engine should clearly be black. It's something I would have asked about.

Moving on...I'd recommend against doing the water wetter thing this late in the year. If your lucky you can hit one or two more trackdays before they start closing up shop for the year. It's not that hot out and considering your pace and that you'll be learning a new bike on the track I don't think you'll be pushing it hard enough to get the temps up like that. I always change out my coolant before winter comes becuse we do have that odd week where it gets below freezing here. Water wetter is NOT antifreeze and will do nothing to protect your bike in that manner. Drain it in the spring and replace with water wetter and water.

Getting the air out of the system usually isn't too hard. Fill it up, cap it off, stand on the bike and rock it back and forth to allow the air to travel up a bit. Open the cap and refill. Repeat this several times till it's not flowing any air to the top of the radiator. Run the bike up to the temp that the thermostat will open and leave it there for a minute or two. Let the bike cool down and repeat the above steps. You'll find you can rock the bike much easier than a big heavy TL. I've used this process many times and haven't had any problems with air in the system.

You bought a used bike, just assume that the owner has NEVER had any service done on it. Change oil and filter, check air filter, check bolts and make sure they are torqued to spec, check brake pads, check chain slack, adjust cables and make sure the controls are set up how you like them. Just spend a day bonding with your new ride!

·
Registered
110 Posts
gixxerjasen said:
You bought a used bike, just assume that the owner has NEVER had any service done on it. Change oil and filter, check air filter, check bolts and make sure they are torqued to spec, check brake pads, check chain slack, adjust cables and make sure the controls are set up how you like them. Just spend a day bonding with your new ride!

:stupid +1

Oil, oil, oil - the most important component in your bike, by far!

·
Registered
546 Posts
Court seems it could be a waste....reading this thread it is unclear what it is you want..
Want him to pay for radiator? -seems he did (is doing) that

Want to get $ back and return the bike? -then court would work but a pita

Want to punish the sleazy bugger for being a dishonest sleazbag? -court might work for that too but the emotional cost to you might not be worth it in the end. A better solution for this one might be to take his radiator check and give it to someone who can go break his knees...(my personal favorite...clean break indeed)...this option costs you no time or hassle and you can immediately move on sort the bike and have fun :) ........my .02

1 - 20 of 32 Posts