1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,766 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

·
Registered
5,676 Posts
Could be the output shaft bearing failing?

·
Registered
4,069 Posts
Broken chain?

Instead of spitting the chain out, it wedges between the case forward of the output shaft and forces the shaft in the opposite direction.

Or maybe not. I would expect to see more damage forward of the shaft....

:O

·
Premium Member
1,766 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
There's nothing in there to grenade. Even if the gears started throwing teeth it wouldn't be enough force to crack the case like that. At most it would have locked up the back tire and snapped the chain.

I'll ask him if he'll tear it apart for us, because I'm curious as hell now.

·
Registered
13,113 Posts
there is a slight possibility that it has a broken rod and its punched the gear cluster backwards.
its a lot to imagine a tight chain could rip the back out of a tranny.

·
Registered
5,676 Posts
Looking at the second photo more closely it like like the casing has been repaired previously, just to the right of where the earth lead is bolted on, there is also what looks like sealant or something on the bolt to the right.

·
Adrenaline Junky
2,688 Posts
I'll ask him if he'll tear it apart for us, because I'm curious as hell now.
If he doesn't want to and is in the UK I'll do it for him! I love doing post-mortems on wrecked engines :)

·
Premium Member
1,766 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I just spoke with him. He's going to be breaking it down next week. He'll also probably be signing onto the zone to participate in this thread.

NOTE: He's planning to swap engine cases.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Hmmmm....i had to put my glasses on....i see nice hair split up to the rear upper mount hole, push rod is off center, and hell of a rust on that output shaft....what gear and speed was it running when this happend?

·
The Suck, Squeeze, Bang, Blow Moderator,
15,413 Posts
Come across it a few times, basically the chain is too tight and as the rear suspension squats down the riders weight pulls the chain like a bow string and eventually pulls the bearing and gearbox output shaft out of the rear of the cases.

How many times have we posted about checking the chain tension AFTER tightening the axle nut !

How many times have we posted about swapping the axle so the nut is on the right hand side and then it doesn't tighten the chain after tightening.

How many times have we posted about the Widow Maker theory and tank slappers been because the chain was too tight and when the rear suspension got part way through it's travel it went solid and caused the tank slappers, Suzuki recalled the early TL's for the addition of a steering damper to try and prevent those idiots crashing or killing themselves...….

·
Registered
4,069 Posts
Come across it a few times, basically the chain is too tight and as the rear suspension squats down the riders weight pulls the chain like a bow string and eventually pulls the bearing and gearbox output shaft out of the rear of the cases.

How many times have we posted .....

How many times have we posted ......

How many times have we posted ..... those idiots crashing or killing themselves...….
Do I sense a little frustration Sam?

:laugh :lol

Still, good info as always!

·
The Suck, Squeeze, Bang, Blow Moderator,
15,413 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,766 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I didn't know about swapping the castle nut to the right side. Bob's axle was set up like that. I'd just assumed it was another in a long list of things screwed up by the previous owner.

Who knows... probably still was, and they just got lucky hahaha...

·
Registered
5,676 Posts
I didn't know about swapping the castle nut to the right side. Bob's axle was set up like that. I'd just assumed it was another in a long list of things screwed up by the previous owner.

Who knows... probably still was, and they just got lucky hahaha...
Sounds like the PO did something right then. :lol

1 - 20 of 22 Posts