TLZone Forums banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have an idea...to put into my TLR carburetors instead of OEM FI system...

Imagine that - you don't have all that sensors...wirring harness..just throttle cable and you're like :hail

I'm kinda good in adjusting and tuning carbureted motorbikes so the only problem that I have now is from what motorbike take the carbs for swap. Not direct swap but...you know...any ideas? :devious

I'll leave all the sensors in the place just to trick the ECU and for not showing FI codes.

... Any ideas what carbs could be used as starting point? (preferable ones with TPS so it could be swaped, so that ignition could be altered)

·
The Suck, Squeeze, Bang, Blow Moderator,
15,414 Posts
Why would anybody want carbs when you already have fuel injection ?

If you want to waste a ton of money and have an engine worse than you have now then search for TL Flat Trackers :thumbup

·
Registered
13,113 Posts
Go all out and fit a 350 holley it would just about fit under the tank. :devious

but then you'd need to fit the trick weber metering block to it to make it adjustable.

and a fuel regulator to drop the pressure from 90 to 4 psi.

and deal with one throat running lean every time you lean into a corner.

but don't stress the other will run rich to compensate.

and rig a way to add the closing cable to the linkage so you dont have to deal with a huge return spring.

oh an fab a manifold and air cleaner.

and get the plenum just right you dont want fuel pooling in it on idle , really stuffs it up when you go to take off.

should be a doddle .

post some pics when you're done:thumbup

·
Registered
446 Posts
KTM 950 carbs, they are reported to have better throttle response than the newer 990 fuel injected model, no idea if it's possible though.

·
Registered
264 Posts
Not sure what the advantage is. I guess you need to look for Honda VTR firestorm carbs. I has been done, I can remember some Dutch guy who carbed his TL so that he could race it in a championship like the Battle of the Twins (BOTT). Maybe search for that class and get in contact with some racers.

cheers,

·
Registered
233 Posts
I dunno - my RF is carbureted and my TLS is FI - I don't have to drain & clean the injectors every winter - I'll take the FI.... Best of luck with your carbs... hope it works out.

·
Premium Member
24,892 Posts
I can't stand carbs and think its a terrible idea, but if you must FCRs are the only way to go.

·
Registered
13,113 Posts
fab an intake and use a 40mm delorto
now theres a good idea!.................

remove a 52mm throttle body and replace it with a 40mm carb,

guaranteed to increase power

and considering that to get the heads to flow unimpeded they need about a 58mm th4n I'd reckon you are on the right track....... :coocoo

Reactions: CrashB and wilf

·
Registered
3,481 Posts
How about something like this? Its pretty if nothing else. :confused

Reactions: The Ring-In

·
Registered
1 Posts
Watching this thread for review on/off for a year now...

I have a tl1000s motor with less then 10k total miles from a wrecked bike and motor is mint... But no wiring.

I like to build a tracker with it.

That said; stand alone ignition! Any idea for a simple straight forward set-up?

I'm terrible with electronics, just saying.

Carbs though, easy. Several types thrown around from an old sv (only read about that) to a flat side and I see no issues with even running a harley S&S super g style with a custom intake. The carbs are the least of concern as I see it; just getting spark.

So, any ideas on spark? Thank you

·
Registered
103 Posts
I'd probably trade maximum power for the response of FCR41. They can be bored to 44, they don't need an airbox and they're relatively easy to set. Had them on three of my 4 KTMs and I loved them. Installed them myself on 2 of them.
But I think the whole electrics should be reconfigured to work with carbs... and I have absolutely no idea of how to do it, obviously LOL.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I'd probably trade maximum power for the response of FCR41. They can be bored to 44, they don't need an airbox and they're relatively easy to set. Had them on three of my 4 KTMs and I loved them. Installed them myself on 2 of them.
But I think the whole electrics should be reconfigured to work with carbs... and I have absolutely no idea of how to do it, obviously LOL.
I've run Honda VTR 1000 carbs on my Tl 1000,used stock loom too, just had to live with red light on constantly . Had a bit of a flat spot just above idle , but after that ran good.Felt better than stock injection.

·
Registered
1,786 Posts
I've run Honda VTR 1000 carbs on my Tl 1000,used stock loom too, just had to live with red light on constantly . Had a bit of a flat spot just above idle , but after that ran good.Felt better than stock injection.
Why though???

Correct me if I am wrong, but I feel like that is saying "I took the discs off my Corvette because I wanted to run drums up front..."

·
Registered
103 Posts
IMHO a pair of FCRs would be way better than the stock injection system. They're just awesome carbs... while the VTR ones might be bigger but are definitely poor in response (I owned a VTR too). But yeah, it's a mod I'd do in a heartbeat if possible.

·
Premium Member
1,766 Posts
Why would anybody want carbs when you already have fuel injection ..
Okay, someone has to say it...

Throttle Bodies are "Technically" neither Carburetor nor true Fuel Injection. They're actually the byproduct of cross-engineering.

IMHO, I consider them to be more Carburetor than Injection, because that's essentially what they are... carbs with fuel lines in place of a Float Bowl.

Of course, if the OP had much experience with trying to keep up with a group at WOT only to have the Carburetor's bowls go dry... well then he'd understand why it's a bad idea (one of many) to try swapping out his TB system. Just my two cents, before taxes.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts