TLZone Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello fellas,

My '97 tls has now developed the dreaded drip from the tank overflow pipe which runs down the rear of the clutch housing. I have read quite a few posts on the subject, and it's definitely fuel, not coolant (the drains for both being teed into the same run-off pipe), that's dripping. Unfortunately, as the overflow pipe runs through the tank, it's hard to determine if the problem is a perforation in the pipe inside the tank, or if it's the fuel tank seal that's failed. Only noticed the drip after putting a couple of gallons in the tank to run the bike after the winter lay-up.

Having read the posts, as mentioned, wouldn't the easiest ( I am a bit of a lazy sod) and quickest fix be just to plug the drain pipe outlet on the underside of the tank? As I see it, the only issue is making sure rain, or wash water, doesn't get into the tank filler periphery, and get into the petrol; other than that, it's all good.......... or is there another problem I haven't considered? Any thoughts, observations, or comments, please chime in!

·
Registered
4,146 Posts
It sounds like you have pondered the issue and arrived at the proper conclusion. If the drain tube is plugged, at either end, the biggest potential problem is water collecting around fuel cap and then going into the tank when the cap is opened.

If the drain tube is merely perforated (due to rust?), as you mentioned, it would be possible to patch it with a fuel resistant epoxy (like Caswell) and strips of fiberglass cloth. However, a person would need to be quite thin to apply the patch to the tube inside the tank by reaching through the fuel pump opening. I say this because the TLS tank has a baffle around that opening, and it doesn't leave much room to work with. On the other hand, a TLR fuel pump opening offers much easier access to the innards of the tank.

If the drain tube is separated inside, then that changes the game a bit. However, a fix may not be impossible. Let's wait to see what you actually find.

·
Premium Member
6,844 Posts
read through this post..............................

and this one from post 441 ..................................

what colour tank you got?

·
Registered
4,146 Posts
read through this post..............................

Thanks for your additional insight Ted. 👍 I had forgotten about your dealings with that overflow tube.

Still, I wouldn't mind having a spare TLS tank to experiment with. Then again, I already have enough projects in the works.....🤯😁

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Hello fellas, thanks for the replies. Would dearly love to pull the fuel pump and check on the condition of the pipe, but,........ Last year, was at my wit's end trying to make the fuel pump seal against the tank, as experienced by many others, looking at the number of posts on the subject. After quite a number of failed attempts I managed to find a fuel-proof polyurethane sealant that did the trick (made by Soudal; it's in the posts). I have no wish to create more pain for myself by stripping all the sealant back off, and re-sealing later, taking the view that if I leave it alone, it might leave me alone!

Quite intrigued by the notion of threading a fuel-proof tube down the existing pipe, though; I have a threading wire used for fishing elastics through fishing poles, which has a Dia. of perhaps 0.5mm. If I can find a low-diameter fuel hose to thread onto my wire, it might be achievable...... watch this space.

By the way, Ted, as you so rightly say, Red is the only colour....... for a 1997 TLS! back together.JPG

1 - 5 of 5 Posts