TLZone Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
For a while I´ve had a strange choppy/chunky sound from the front end on deacceleration.
More so when cold, I´ve been thinking it´s fork related but I guess it could also be the
ESAs going? Symptoms of that and/or do you guys recognice this as something else?

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Sorry ESA is the wrong term here I mean the back torque limiter.

No direct vibration in none of those so that´s why I´m thinking of engine/clutch...

·
Registered
1998 TLS; 2001 TLR; 200X TLRSF
4,619 Posts
Sorry ESA is the wrong term here I mean the back torque limiter.

....I´m thinking of engine/clutch...
Do you hear this noise only during high RPM deceleration, or anytime you back off the throttle?

Does the noise still occur if you pull the clutch lever during deceleration?

The clutch cam set typically fails in the "drive mode," not in the "deceleration mode."
However, if your riding style is forcing the BTL to activate, then it may make some noise, but it would be a noise I am unfamiliar with, since i ride very conservatively.

It wouldn't hurt to remove the clutch cover and have a look inside to see if anything is loose or out of place. There have been instances where the pressure plate bolts have loosened or snapped off.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I had something similar and stripped the motor down to find it. Wrong move! Could have been fixed with the engine in the frame. Big 36mm nut on the r.h.s end of the crankshaft was about 1/16 of a turn loose - local Suzuki agent stated it is a common problem. Only occurred occasionally, to me it felt like chain slap against the swingarm, this was ruled out as the chain tension was ok.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts