TLZone Forums banner

1 - 20 of 140 Posts

·
Premium Member
11,457 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Okay here's the deal.

Either I'll be the mocked and made fun of or I'll succeed.

Today I wager a lunch with a fellow co-worker that I could lose 10lbs by August 17.

August 17 is my high school reunion so that was the initial motivation. I talked about weight loss for some time here but so far I've not acted on it.

Now it’s shut up or put up for the following reasons

1. Reunion
2. Wager with coworker (If I loss everybody will know)
3. A cute girl weighs me in at 252LBS today (office scale) If I succeed or fall, she will know as well as the entire helpdesk possible the entire building.

This means I must win. Wager has been set and I will succeed.

·
Registered
1,379 Posts
If this is about how to do it... then here is where i am starting, but im no nutritionist

Eat 5 smaller meals a day. Drink lots and lots of water (i weigh 177 and drink 3 ltrs a day, it keeps you full). Dont drink soda, knock off the sweets. More info here. Clicky

Good luck, and i want to see pictures of the cute office girl. :coocoo

·
No Likey No Spiders
6,412 Posts
:stupid Very sound advice - 5 small meals a day is the way to keep your metabolism going.

When people do the 1 meal a day thing they trick their body into storing fat which is not the way to lose weight.

·
Registered
71 Posts
You could lose 10 lbs by tomorrow if you want, but it won't stay off. Water weight comes off easily, so keep that in mind if need to cheat a bit to win the wager.

Losing real weight is simple too. Simply burn off more calories than you take in. Diet is not important in this respect as long as you remember to burn more than you eat. It can be 2000 calories of regular food or 2000 calories of twinkies (much less satisfying though), as long as you use 2500 calories during the day, you just lost weight.

I don't remember how many calories make up a lb of fat, but you can look it up. Once you know that, you'll know how many calories you need to burn off for 10 lbs of fat. So your goal should be set to burn off around 12 lbs of fat (which will put you ahead of the curve) by August 17.

Divide the amount of calories you need to lose by the number of days you have, and that is your daily goal for calories burned. It will change each day depending on how much weight you are losing, but it will work.

·
Registered
743 Posts
I have lost over 40 pounds in under a year by staying away from chocolate and soda's alone! I only allow myself 1 diet coke (12oz. Can) per day. I weigh less now than what I did when I left the Army. BTW.. I can really notice a difference in the bike since I have lost all that extra padding!

·
Registered
276 Posts

·
Registered
2,665 Posts
You can always have a leg cut off..

I wouldn't dare entering such a wager, I just can't go on diet. Being 1m90 and 156lbs helps tho :laugh Serious, I can eat anything and it won't come on. I'll probably always stay skinny :dowhat

·
Registered
676 Posts
These folks are correct. Give up soda and sweets. If you drink a soda try something like SPRITE ZERO, the empty calories in most soda makes you gain pounds.

Also, dont eat one big meal or try skipping. If so your body will start to store fat, also dont try to deprive yourself of anything. Just eat less of it. Try not to eat after 7 pm either.

From January 17th of this year throught March 7th I went from 205 lbs down to 183 lbs. Now I worked out and ate right, and hit the treadmill 3 days a week. You can do it if you try my friend :) . I have no doubt you will succeed.

BTW, if you need to drop a few pounds, take a laxative or two and just stay home. Cleanes your insides out...haha:laugh

Just be safe and keep hydrated.

·
Registered
2,002 Posts
I do all of the above plus workout 5 -6 times a week for the 1st 2 months and that yeilds massive results. So you have 2-3 weeks to burn 10 lbs?! Thats easy. Just heed our advice and you'll do just fine.

·
Premium Member
24,892 Posts
Best of luck Dell, it will also be great for your overal health and think of how much you'd have to spend on Ti bolts to loose that much weight off the bike:hail

I'd pick a plan that will get you to your imeadiate goal, but also be something you can keep up for a long life of healthy living. Nothing extreme, just a bit more careful selection about what and how much you eat and a bit of exercise at least 3 times a week (every day would be best provided you mix it up a bit I think).

have fun and best of luck:cheers

·
Registered
378 Posts
my brother lost 18 kg by eating every 3 hours, on the hour. and no alcohol. that's the most important change he made. He already worked out a lot, so that didn't change. But when he works out he focusses on a low heart beat, as to burn fat.

good luck!

J

·
0 Posts
I think the main motivation should be the reason that you are happy with yourself with less weight and look better. and be healtier.

Weight loss is actually very easy. but the easy way takes time. you don't have it.

basicly easy way is to cut down on some stuff you eat. do not stop eating, just don't eat deep fried stuff, less potato ships, and cut down sugar. the meat you use should be just meat. no flour shit. because usually the flour keeps the fat and makes it rich of galories, just plain meat is ok.

use less fat cheese. like 17% one?

Also lift weights. It's probably the easiest way of sports. You don't have to do much, no need to sweat. just do some weight lifting couple of times a week and the muscle creation process needs energy and it keeps the energy need high all week.

JT

·
Registered
1,982 Posts
Come on Del....we know you have pix of that cute office girl...share them already...LOL

People have already given you excellent advise, best of luck

·
Premium Member
11,457 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I don't yet but maybe:devious

Okay today I had 1 20 oz pepsi, this was before the weigh in and the bet.

300 calories :dowhat

I had some kind of granberry XS energy drink. The office worker friend bought them over for us. I think it's some kind of business :dunno

The energy drink has no carbs, no suger and only 8 calories.

I had some water today not sure how much.
For lunch I opt for Subway, and had a salad with chicken and the no fat sweet and onion dressing. The salad had pratically everything in it.

Lettice
pickles
banana pepers
green peppers
olives
red onions
cucumbers. (I use to hate these but with dressing they are not so bad)

I read online that is roughly 310 calories for the subway meal.

Now if I can be good at dinner.

·
Registered
3,215 Posts
Easiest way I've ever seen to consistently lose fat: weight watchers.

I've never been much overweight, but I watched my ex do it, and they take all the thinking out of it. You just eat what it tells you to. Counting calories and coming up with the meals to get those calories right, is the bit most people **** up. It is hard to go from eating bad, to knowing how to eat well. Just get their little books and follow what it says to the letter. Yes it takes more time to shop for the right food, and to prepare it, but that's the way it is. And yes you will be hungry and you will hate that you don't get to eat stuff that tastes kickass :(

When she was on it, she started at about 160 and steadily lost 3 or 4 pounds every week. The rest of the women in her office that did it never beat her in any week, even though most of them started at 190+. It's all a competition of who can follow the little book to the letter, and not lie to themselves and cheat. They all bitched and moaned that she beat them, and she must be naturally skinny or some shit. Then she would catch them eating chocolate bars at lunch. Weight loss is that simple. Who has the ability to stick to an eating plan. Of course once she got down to 130, she decided the nasty diet was over, and that she preferred to eat crap. Her weight went straight back up to 160 in 2 months. Ya gotta have the staying power to keep that diet FOREVER. The reward is you permanently look better, feel better, and will live longer. New studies are starting to show that diet soft drinks can **** you up real bad too. The preservatives can give you cancer and liver disease, and the sweeteners **** your metabolism.

If you need to drop weight fast to cheat, use caffeine and laxatives. Caffeine will make you piss all the excess fluid out of your body. You also need to drop the salt intake at least 3 days in a row.

·
Registered
8,965 Posts
Since February I have lost 43 pounds. I started at 250 going for 190. I just stopped eating useless carbs. I eat mostly low fat/low carb, and I cheat occasionally, but never more than 2 times a month. The best part is if I eat crap now I feel like shit. The good news is my Cholestoral is at 100! 47 for the good, 42 for the bad. Blood sugar is 88 fasting which is on par with non-diabetics. I rarely get tired during track sessions now and I have a better energy level.

So screw the short term stuff, get yourself on a couple of pounds a week rate and you will be amazed how easy it is to sustain. That said, I have been 207-212 for a while now, I think I am going to have to step up the exercise end of it. :lol

Let's see the cute girl!

·
Pygmy looking for a new name
14,150 Posts
Ok, here's the biggest kicker. People will trash talk and find problems with whatever diet and excercise you choose. The best diet is the one you can stick to. I did Atkins and lost a bunch of weight. Granted, it's not the best diet but I can guarantee you that a bunch of meat and vegetables were a far cry better than the McDonalds hamburgers I was having before hand. The point of me going on the Atkins diet was it was one I could stick to for more than a couple of days. If you can't stick to it, then it just plain won't work.

You have to excercise too. One without the other really won't do it. Same thing applies. Find something fun to do. Buy a cheap mountain bike and hit the local trails, take up swimming (possibly the best damn workout I've found), jogging, whatever floats your boat while working you out. But again, something you can stick to. If you give it up in a few days then it wasn't a good workout.

That's all I have.

·
Chief Moderator for my kids Julia & Kristen,
5,503 Posts
As the others said. Also, be sure to eat breakfast. A low sugar cereal and low fat milk (skip skim, it tastes like shit) and a piece of fruit or a glass of OJ. Eating breakfast actually helps your body get going and it is a tool in achieving your desired weight.

Forgive me and the soapbox as I pull it out from under the desk here. It is with your best interest in mind :)

Lift weights. You don't have to be like Arnold or anything either. My motto is " a little pain, good enough gain for me" :laugh I lift until a feel a burn, but not to total muscle exhaustion. Suitably motivate me and I could do at least two more clean reps on any given set, but it would for pedal to the medal straining. I avoid going for max weights too. No need for the casual guy interested in being in shape, not winning a contest. That kind of intensity is not sustainable, at least not for me anyway. That and the 45 year old connective tissue does not need that either. No sense in having killer muscles and a bunch of strained ligaments and sore joints.

The reason I prefer weights over cardio? Cardio burns more calories at the time of your workout, but weights raise your metabolism overall, so you burn more while you are not doing anything. That and I hate cardio in the gym. I save that for the dirt bike. For me the gym is weights only, about a 40-45 minute session without too much sitting around.

Take it slow. Trying to lose a bunch of weight by a two week deadline can be done obviously, but it won't help you over the long haul. Make a sustainable lifestyle change. In my experience nothing of long term value, be it relationships, investing your money, fitness or anything else, happens overnight. Being fit and having your weight under control is a never ending journey and a lifestyle choice, not a quick fix or a diet. Americans love quick fixes. This makes purveyors of weight loss remedies rich and it makes for a lot repeat customers with of yo-you weight loss and gain. Talk about the perfect business model! Our friends in Europe, who tend to be thinner than we Yanks, seem to understand the lifestyle choice thing a whole better than wehigh fat/sugar content soda chugging burger stuffing Americans.

It is ironic that we worry so much about increasing the performance of our bikes. We hop them up and tune them with seemingly limitless enthusiasm, yet so many of us let ourselves go physically. We all live in a physical world and being in command of a fit and strong body is one of life's pleasures, lemme tell you. It is not about living longer, it is about living better/stronger while you are alive.

Getting fitter does not have to be an ordeal. Just take a small step forward every day. Improve your diet, but don't starve yourself. Exercise some, but keep it sustainable, don't try to get fit in a day.

The change may not be perceptible day to day, but over time there will be a change. More importantly, it can be a lasting one.

·
Registered
676 Posts
Burn more than you take in, Atkins, south beach, no fat all carb, all fat no carb, karen carpenter diet, they all work to some degree, some safer than others. You know what the hell you can eat pepsi boy ,so get off your ass and hit it. If it takes two trips to haul ass well ya know.

J

·
0 Posts
It is ironic that we worry so much about increasing the performance of our bikes. We hop them up and tune them with seemingly limitless enthusiasm, yet so many of us let ourselves go physically. We all live in a physical world and being in command of a fit and strong body is one of life's pleasures, lemme tell you. It is not about living longer, it is about living better/stronger while you are alive.
+1. I have always been amazed that people are more worried about they bikes then own well being. Like they come to trackday bitching that insurance ain't gonna cover the bike if they crash. I always say that you should be more worried about what can happen to you when you crash. Insurance aint bringing you back to life. bikes can be fixed or new ones can be bought every day. Life and body is just this one. there no insurance for that.

1 - 20 of 140 Posts