TLZone Forums banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Administrator
137 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Dear Community Members,

We are excited to announce that we are live on our new forum platform! We’ve worked hard over the last several months with a leading design and product firm to deliver a cleaner, faster and more engaging experience for you. Our goal is to provide modern design and technology to make the site run faster, smoother and more reliably. All of the valuable content within the community is still here, even though the layout may look different.

A Consistent Experience Across All Devices
The site is optimized for all screen sizes, including mobile. All features are available and ready to use on all devices.

Speed and Reliability Are Key
No one should have to wait for information. This site has been built to be much faster and more reliable, period.

New Homepage Experience
Your home page now features the most active forums, trending discussions, featured showcases, and top contributing members. This will help keep you up to date on what’s happening in your community and eventually become a very personalized experience for our members with all the great content you love surfaced effortlessly for you.

Search
We have introduced new search algorithms, powered by an industry-leading AI platform, that will help you find information faster. We plan to roll out new features to continue improving search, and to power many additional areas of the forum.

Due to the volume of content, our search platform may take some time to complete indexing. During this process, you may see a limited number of posts until indexing has been completed. We appreciate your patience.

Easy to Use and Navigate
We have made the design clean and simple to use. Near the upper right-hand corner of the community, you will see navigation icons.

The first icon is for what’s new on the site.

Clicking on it, by default, will take you to new unread posts. On that page, you can click on additional tabs as well, such as Popular, if you prefer to view active topics.

Clicking the list icon next to “NEW” will bring you to the full forum listing.

You can also navigate by clicking the 3 vertical dots.

Clicking on your avatar will give you a drop-down menu for all things related to your account.

Dark Mode
We have introduced Dark Mode. One of our favorite features allows you to access the site with a power-saving, and easier on the eyes dark mode. You can access it in the drop-down menu under the 3 vertical dots.

Save Bookmarks
Now you can save your favorite discussion threads and posts! Bookmarks are a handy way to remember and easily find great content or stuff you want to read later.

We also wanted to make it easier for new users to understand the lingo of forums. We have cleaned up various language to more commonly recognized phrases including:
  • Following - Thread subscriptions, and Watched are now known as Following
  • Conversations – Private Messages or PMs are now conversations and can be accessed from the user avatar drop-down in the main navigation
  • Showcase – Showcase is designed for users to "showcase" items/projects through the use of uploaded images, text descriptions and custom content categories. It’s a way to visually and textually provide detailed information on the content you wish to share. The showcase would be similar to a catalog, whereas the gallery would be like a photo album. It can be accessed from the drop-down menu with the 3 dots.
These are just a few of the great new functions and features to try on the site. Take a tour and look around! If you have any questions, please check out the HELP section for some quick FAQs about the new platform - Help Section

Please let us know what you think about the new experience. Your feedback is important to us.

Thank you all for your support during this amazing journey!

·
Administrator
137 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
I will be here during your transition to the new platform, to help with any questions, help with navigation or how to do things, and to listen to your feedback so please don't hesitate to holler at me. I want to help.

I do want to take a moment to introduce myself. My name is Cricket. When I was born, my father told his friends I was the ugliest baby he had ever seen, and that I sounded just like a cricket (I was born with the hiccups.) so yes, I have been Cricket for 58 years now. I live just outside of San Antonio, Texas. I spend most of my time off out in nature and exploring the back roads. During late autumn when it starts to finally cool down, I disappear from the world for a bit for camping trips and hiking.

Please don't be afraid to explore and test out things to see how they work on the site.

Although you can certainly use the "insert image" icon to upload an image to your post, you can also just drag and drop it to the text editor or even copy/paste it into there!

You can easily share videos just by adding the URL directly into the text editor!

Gif links from sites like giphy.com will display automatically just by adding the gif URL directly in the text editor. Try it!
I am also a huge fan of the dark mode for the community. What is your favorite feature?

We will be seeing weekly updates (approximately) to the site which are largely based on community feedback so we absolutely want to hear your feedback!

I have worked with VerticalScope for 5 years but I have worked with forum communities for closer to two decades. I won't always know the answers to your questions, but I can find someone who does, as needed. ;)

- Cricket

·
Registered
3,479 Posts
I can already see a flaw in the new design.

Moyston's avatar is no longer animated. Put everything back! 😆

·
Administrator
137 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
We will continue to see weekly updates (approximately) that are largely fueled by community feedback. While that doesn't mean we can action every request, it does mean we are actively listening to the feedback and sharing it with the developers.

- Cricket

·
Administrator
137 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
How To Find Conversations (Private Messages)

From the navigation, near the upper right-hand corner, click on your avatar to open the drop-down menu and select “conversations”.

- Cricket

·
Registered
1,785 Posts
But what do I know.

I have only been here for over five years and posted over a thousand times...

Also, I agree with Snowy. Bring Moyston's boobs back!!!

·
Administrator
137 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I wanted to take a moment to assure you that we are listening to all the feedback

That being said, this site is supported by ads. As you already know, that’s how we keep the lights on around here.

As it turns out, servers, bandwidth, security, and maintenance aren’t free. ;)

We do offer a premium membership for those who want it.

- Cricket

·
Registered
1,785 Posts
And what is with the "Show Full Signature" href?

Mine is not even half a line and that stupid thing is blocking my actual signature. It is a simple coding if statement on number of characters. In fact "Show Full Signature" is larger on the screen than my actual signature!

·
Administrator
137 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
It's an option in your settings.

How To Create A Signature

Your signature can include up to 4 lines, a maximum of 1000 characters and one link. An image counts as a line. Anytime you hit "enter" on your keyboard, it will automatically go to a new line. Images will automatically be resized to 300 x 200 pixels. You can see more options in your settings to collapse signatures, always view full signature, or to not see signatures at all. The choice is yours.

Both guests and members can view signatures.

If a user has their preferences set to the default they will see collapsed signatures as in the example below for them. (They can click to see more.)

If a user has their preferences set to always show expanded signatures it will look like the example below for them. Your image can be clicked to view full size.

If you want to adjust your preferences for signatures you can click on your avatar near the upper right-hand corner of the site and select account settings.

In the left side navigation, you will see an option for preferences. Click it.

Scroll down to content options and select your signature preferences.

-Cricket

·
Registered
1,785 Posts
What you are basically saying is...

(Every single user) Go into some hidden preference, enable it, so that you can see the site the same way you saw it before...

Seems backwards

·
Registered
1,785 Posts
Don't just put a flag next to the user name...

Go look back how many times we said " fill out your profile"...

Oh neat, that person has a United States flag.... I live in Georgia, just a quick drive to... (Hover over flag.... ) Alaska...

·
Premium Member
1,766 Posts
And what is with the "Show Full Signature" href?

Mine is not even half a line and that stupid thing is blocking my actual signature. It is a simple coding if statement on number of characters. In fact "Show Full Signature" is larger on the screen than my actual signature!
I haven't seen any ads yet.

·
Premium Member
1,766 Posts
Don't care for the new look one bit.

As a Software Engineer I deal with this crap day in and day out. Despite my pleas for common sense Developers always feel the need to take what's clean, simple, fast, and functional, and turn into some God damn unorganized clusterfuck. Seriously gets under my skin.

Admins: There's too much damn clutter. Place the user information to the left of the posts like it was before. And what's with all the damn space between the post, signature, and reply / quote buttons? Get rid of that annoying [show full signature] crap. Just one more unnecessary option that no one asked for. In fact, just ask your developers to put everything back the way it was.

ps...Yes I realize my tone is a bit hostile here, but it's because I have to yell at devs all day long for doing this shit.

·
Administrator
137 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
We will continue to see weekly updates (approximately) that are largely fueled by community feedback. While that doesn't mean we can action every request, it does mean we are actively listening to the feedback and sharing it with the developers.

- Cricket

·
Registered
4,171 Posts
Cricket, from what I'm seeing so far, I like the upgrades. Of course, I'm sure I will run into hitches, but that's the price of progress. There is always a learning curve for me on things like this. I'm still very ineffective with Facebook, while my nieces and nephews can do it blindfolded. Obviously I'm not a software engineer. On the other hand, it's too bad the upgrades to this site likely won't attract any more new users or increase the traffic. Most of the Millennial Riders seem to be stuck in the Facebook rut. That, and the members who have a real interest in the TL are simply getting old ( yours truly, along with a few others who drop in from time to time).

Josh and Eliott (rxf610) are some of the younger regulars around here, so naturally, they might be a little more spirited about this or that. In time, things will settle down. The problem you are faced with now, is getting enough traffic on here to give you some decent feedback. 😒

For the time being, I will continue to explore the new format, and I'll be sure to let you know if I get into an area that makes no sense. Thanks again for the efforts of your team, and thanks for maintaining an online presence for the TL community! 👍😎

·
Premium Member
1,766 Posts
Admin, I want a refund on my premium account. This isn't what I paid for.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts