TLZone Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,420 Posts
Got a brand new frame, powdercoated black, never turned a wheel. I will be parting out the bike very soon but I guess shipping will be astronomical. Good luck with finding something close.

S

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Well its not final but this frame is fu**ed so i figured i would start looking for a replacement, the chunk of the spindle is still stuck in the frame and i have done some serious damage trying to get it out!!!

·
Registered
2,650 Posts
Damn!
Remember there are some very good shops that deal with this kind of stuff as you are living in a huge metropolis! That place I got you the info for earlier could have gotten you out of that jam.
Randy's Deburring, Inc.
Broken Bolt, Tap & Drill Removal
9811 Owensmouth Ave, #12
Chatsworth, CA
(818) 341-3224

They also have a procedure for taking big dings out of cycle header pipes. Charged my buddy $50 for removing a rather nasty huge ding out of his now unobtainium Yosh tri-oval full exhaust for a 1991 GSXR1100. I didn't think they could do it but they got it done. Thrashed Yosh systems for that bike show up on Ebay every 6 months or so & go for about $600.

There is one very good frame shop & one pretty good frame shop in the area. Tom Mackie does lots of tweaked frames for WSMC roadracers that have high speed tumbles out at the very fast Willow Springs raceway. He worked for Computrack for several years quite a few years back & decided to do this stuff on his own. Has a nice jig he can strap your bike's frame into & get it straight with hydraulic presses. Tom also does frame repair work so if you can get him to look at it he will tell you what he can & can't do for you. He is HIGHLY, HIGHLY, HIGHLY recommended. His prices are super reasonable, he is a no B.S., completely straight shooter guy & he does very good work. Yeah, some AMA "B" teams I know use his services as they race on a budget & can't just keep throwing brand new racebike frames away after a crash or two. I would at least give him a call & try to take that frame over to his shop to get his input. My TLS that took a rather nasty end over end tumble at the Cali Speedway back in 03' was taken to his shop as I was damn sure due to the physics involved the frame was at least twisted. Both steering head bearing races just fell out when the front end was removed. Tom has the frame specs for all these bikes he put it in his jig & told me the frame was fine. The subframe was twisted & bent a bit but the main frame was fine! Wow. He could have easily lied to me & told me he needs to press it this way & that but nope. He gave me pointers on getting the head bearing races to work (that worked out well by the way) & I think it was around $120 for the service. He also showed me a GSXR1000 that was sitting in his jig that had a long style frame slider installed. The frame was a little bent which he could take care of but then he showed me the chunk of frame that the frame slider had ripped out of the frame when the bike slid off the track & caught a little ditch in the dirt. Sure, the bike's radiator was in good shape but there was no way to save the frame. Ouch! Not trying to stop a sale from taking place but there is really no need to throw a frame away if it isn't toast.

Tom Mackie
73 East Montecito Avenue
Sierra Madre, CA 91024
(626) 355-7058

S

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
thats good to know Gerhard, i guess i'm just kinda in a defeatist mode right now. I have been beating on this thing all weekend. My main concern is that i have damaged the threads in the frame trying to split the spindle in half from the inside out. Right now i have cut completely thru on one side of the spindle and about halfway thru on the other but it still wont budge!! I'll call them both tomorrow to see who wants to try and sort this thing out.

S

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Well i think my frame is gonna be usable after all, Randys Deburring in chatsworth has removed the stuck chunk of spindle and fixed up the threads for me!! So all good, thanks everyone for the help!!!!!!!!!!!!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts