TLZone Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
179 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok Ive been looking at these threads every since I joind TLZ and there are some really awsome pics. Wheather its bike pics, track day pics, or random everyday pics there all awsome. Now I'm looking to get serious and be able to take some of the quality pics I see here. For fun and convienince I own a Sony DSC-W70 just to throw in my pocket. IYHO where is a good place to start with digital SLR's?

·
Pygmy looking for a new name
14,150 Posts
I personally like the Nikon D50. It's a fantastic camera, and is kind of like buying a 600cc sport bike. It's got more camera in there than most of us can ever use, though not enough for the really big boys. :)

Good quality camera, lots of accessories (you thought motorcycles were expensive, just wait till you start buying "mods" for your camera) and fairly easy to use and learn. I've got a D70, but would have probably bought the 50 had it been out when I picked up mine. Of course I'm frothing at the mouth over the D80 now that it's hit the stores and I got a chance to hold one in my hands.

Other wise you might check into the Canon Rebel series. I'm a reformed former Canon, now Nikon guy though.

S

·
0 Posts
I have a Canon Rebel XT, i bought the camera, lens (18mm-55mm), and a telephoto(50mm-30mm) for $1100 it's 8 mega pixel and takes amazing photos. the only gripe would be the screen is small other than that its great. the next step up is the 5D by Canon for like $1400 and definately worth the extra bread!! All of the features jump up on the 5D!! Lenses will fit either nikon or canon.

W

·
0 Posts
I'm with Jas here! I own a D70 and love it to bits!! It feels very pro in the hands. But saying that, I'm really seriously thinking of selling it and moving up to the new D80.
You should get out to one of you camera shops and try a few. See how they feel in the hand and which one is more user friendly. My brother in-law just picked up a Rebel 400 and loves it! It's his first dslr and well he doesn't know any better, so any one you pick will serve you well til you gain a bit more knowledge on the whole thing.
With a kit lens (standard lens that comes with the camera) and the purchase of a nice zoom, this will get you on the road to taking some fine pic's. Oh, and splash out on a good Flash when you can cause it make a hell of a difference compared to the onboard one!

·
14,150 Posts
Sully said:
Lenses will fit either nikon or canon.
Not true, each has it's own individual mount and connectors. You can buy the same lens from another manufacturer such as Tamrac for each camera but you have to buy the one with the mount for the manufacturer you bought your camera from.

As much as I love the D70 and would love the D80, I think it's overkill for someone looking to get started. The D50 is the perfect entry level camera and I wouldn't reccomend spending the extra chash on the next model up. By the time you outgrow the D50, it'll be several models down the line. The D50 would be perfect for me and I have a friend who does some professional photography on the side that uses one as well.

·
Registered
179 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
D50

Even with only 6.1 megapixels the D50 takes proffesional looking pics?:confused

Or does megapixels mean much in a DSLR vs a point and shoot?

·
14,150 Posts
Ok, let's talk about that.
You can print photo quality 4x6 photos with a 1MP camera.
you can print 5x7 photo quality with a 2MP
and you can print 8x10 with 3MP

Now if you want to go bigger or cut and crop then you'll need larger than 3MP. 6MP is generally considered equivilant to 35mm and you can print poster size with it.

Everybody gets all caught up in having to have more megapixels than the next guy but guess what? Having more than 6 in a consumer camera is pointless. If your a pro photographer and your pic might end up on a billboard, then maybe you should think higher, but otherwise...naw.

S

·
0 Posts
gixxerjasen said:
Not true, each has it's own individual mount and connectors. You can buy the same lens from another manufacturer such as Tamrac for each camera but you have to buy the one with the mount for the manufacturer you bought your camera from.
So i must been mis informed is there any brands that use the same mount or are all of them unique to them selves?? I swore i heard that you can use lenses from to different manufacturers and i thought it was Canon and Nikon??
:confused

·
14,150 Posts
Actually, you can't even fit older (really older) Canon lenses to newer Canons. Nikons you can.

Nope, when you buy a Tamrac lens it states on the box what camera it fits. Think of it from a marketing standpoint. You buy a Canon camera. Does Canon want you giving money to Nikon to put Nikon lenses on their camera? Heck no!

FYI, my wife has worked in a camera shop for six years and I spent two years working there with her part time. I'm no pro photographer but I'm familiar enough with equipment. Let me know if you have any questions. Also, check www.dpreview.com before you buy any camera to see very in depth reviews on almost all digital cameras on the market.

·
14,150 Posts
Here you go, while they look similar, if you compare them you can see slight differences in the grooves in the mount. Pay attention to the size of the tab on the lower right side of the picture, inside the ring. More obvious is the location of the lens controls. The Nikon's are quite obvious and I believe the Canon's are around the ring inside.

Nikon D80 - http://www.dpreview.com/articles/NikonD80/Images/lensmount01.jpg
Canon EOS 30D - http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/CanonEOS30D/Images/lensmount.jpg

·
Registered
4,197 Posts
Megapixels aren't all.
The sensors of the DSLR are much bigger and can capture MUCH more light than the tiny sensors of compact cameras. That means there is a whole lot less noise in the pictures of a DSLR compared to a compact (also more detail) and you can still take pictures with bad light conditions. And finally you can buy really good lenses for DSLR. That makes a big difference in quality as well.

Greetings
Rufer

tlrucrazy said:
Even with only 6.1 megapixels the D50 takes proffesional looking pics?:confused

Or does megapixels mean much in a DSLR vs a point and shoot?

·
Registered
179 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
waspo said:
I'm with Jas here! I own a D70 and love it to bits!! It feels very pro in the hands. But saying that, I'm really seriously thinking of selling it and moving up to the new D80.
You should get out to one of you camera shops and try a few. See how they feel in the hand and which one is more user friendly. My brother in-law just picked up a Rebel 400 and loves it! It's his first dslr and well he doesn't know any better, so any one you pick will serve you well til you gain a bit more knowledge on the whole thing.
With a kit lens (standard lens that comes with the camera) and the purchase of a nice zoom, this will get you on the road to taking some fine pic's. Oh, and splash out on a good Flash when you can cause it make a hell of a difference compared to the onboard one!

Waspo were those shots on your site taken with the D70?

·
Registered
1,454 Posts
After looking at some of Waspo's & Rufer's pics, some of mine pale into the average field. But, the more you practice with your camera, the better your work will be. I recently spoke with a pro motor sports photographer at a race meeting & he gave me some tips for my camera - Canon EOS 300D. Since then, my work has improved & after blowing up quite a few pics, some are being sold through the local camera shop. I took some pics at Phillip Island last weekend & I think they turned out pretty good.
The new Canon EOS 400D has jsut been released, so have a look at that. I like the Canon - however the Nikon series are also excellent. What is important is the feel of the camera in your hand too. Good luck - its a great past time.

·
Registered
179 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Just something interesting I found during my research. Apparently Sony makes all CCD chips for the Nikon line of DSLRs. The CCD chip is the A100 is the same chip thats in the D80(which is what i'm leaning toward). The only diff between the two are the doo dads that Sony adds like image stabalization. Even with the same chip reviews still favor the Nikon. Nikon's claim is that they design the chips but Sony just makes them. Huh whoda thought:O

·
14,150 Posts
Yea, that's like Sony's Leica lens's. They aren't actually made in the famous Leica labs, they are crafted in Sony's labs to Leica's specifications.

If your going for the D80 then :hail A tad bit of overkill I'd think, but if you've got the cash, go for it!

·
Registered
179 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Well the thing is I origionally liked the D50 after reviews backed up everthing said here but someone may be purchasing me the camera. In that case D80 it is:devious but if I end up getting it my self then it will be D50. It doesn't matter to me in reviews the are constanly making similarities between the three (d50, d70, d80)so im sure all are good.

·
Registered
276 Posts
I shot professionally for several years. I would reccomend the nikon over the cannon. I used almost all of the nikon digitals (D1, D1X, D1H, D2, D2X, D100, D70, etc) and have nothing but good things to say about them plus for 35mm you just can't beat nikon lenses. Some of the non-nikon lenses are pretty decent, but before settling on a zoom lens I'd compare the images of several side by side. You can have a great camera, but with a trashy lens you'll get trashy pics.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts