TLZone Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
394 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I have had my 97 TLS about 6 months now and she is taxed until the end of the year. I have a few things I am going to do whilst she is off road such as fuel tank seal, TBS and TPS are the main ones.

Looking at the vacuum lines though they look old and although I haven't had a real good look at them yet I can bet they are cracking.

So the normal route would be to replace them but I have read that they have needle inserts so my first question is where can you get replacements?

Secondly is if I do the airbox mod would that mean I could just junk the vacuum lines and not bother replace them.

At the moment I am not looking to perform many of the mods as I want to get a feel of what I want to do rather than rush in and do a load of mods and then regret some later down the line.

But the airbox mod is discreet and from what I have read makes the bike sound better on the intake growl which can only be a good thing. Not concerned about more power.

So to mod or not to mod - that is the question (for the airbox that is - although as you all know there will probably be more at some point ;-)

·
Registered
30 Posts
I would have to say yes with the airbox mod. Not only will this give you the intake growl that you say you desire, but it will feasiblly would help with gas mileage too. I used aluminim tape to tape up the holes from the two vacuum pumps on the upper half of the airbox, so that way if I was unhappy or maybe lost some low end grunt, i could easily put all the hardware back on. It rode fine though, so I deleted the the PAIR, VCD, and VCSD (JoevAirbox mod).

Now that I have not felt any harm from this mod and all positives, I ordered a pipercross air filter with more surface area that is custom made for our bikes to get rid of the tray that facilitated the flapper valve operation: http://www.ebay.com/itm/like/141432691383?lpid=82

Hope this helps.

·
Registered
394 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
great cheers. So looking at the diagrams from previous guides it does get rid of a lot of the vacuum pipes.
It seems though that there are a couple of different levels at to how much you can modify the airbox and therefore the vacuum lines.
Does anyone have some pointers as to the first steps. Is it just a case of removing the flapper, sealing the airbox hole and removing the vacuum lines. I have seen other guides on further modification but not too sure how far I want to go yet so would rather just do the basic.
Looks like it will be easier than trying to repair/replace the vacuum lines anyway
cheers
jeff

·
Registered
61 Posts
Hi Jeff, I recently did the full airbox mod and tidied up all the vacuum hoses.

I was plugged and removed everything except one hose going directly into the vacuum sensor. Shes never run better.

·
Registered
909 Posts
Hi Jeff, I recently did the full airbox mod and tidied up all the vacuum hoses.

I was plugged and removed everything except one hose going directly into the vacuum sensor. Shes never run better.
Do you think the sensor will survive getting it's arse kicked by those 2 great big pistons! :) :bash

·
Registered
61 Posts
Not Sure, only time will tell on that one. I have tried with more of the system in place, with the VD can and also T piecing the TBs, with the can and sensor also but with all those combinations she was running like a bag of S**t so Ill leave it like it is for now and if it turns out that its not enough then Ill head back to the drawing board.

·
Registered
316 Posts
I replaced my hoses a while back, and i simply cut out the jets from the old hoses and inserted them into the new ones.. Just keep track of which jet goes where, they are not the same size...

·
Registered
389 Posts
Are the jets necessary?? Do they need to be in the exact same location if you replace the tubing? Or just somewhere in line before TB's, damper, whatever?

·
Registered
316 Posts
Are the jets necessary??
Yes.. If you loose them, you could make new ones from MIG/TIG-weldertips.. The ones the thread goes through.. Just cut off desired length, and drill out the hole to right size.. :)

·
Registered
55 Posts
Yes.. If you loose them, you could make new ones from MIG/TIG-weldertips.. The ones the thread goes through.. Just cut off desired length, and drill out the hole to right size.. :)

were is the Jets located ? in what vacume line? does anyone have a diagram..? Cheers!

·
Registered
55 Posts
I Found it ! i tried to squeeze my vacuume lines i did not notice anything. will it run ok without? i see there are one last Jet also (number 3)...

airbox_v.jpg

1 - 11 of 11 Posts