TLZone Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone know the differences between the two?

Is it based on the S or R?

Will my TLR heads and barrels and pistons fit?

Cheers

Bob

·
Premium Member
24,892 Posts
Its closer to an R motor in that it has a larger clutch and forged pistions, but I doubt many parts if any are actually identicle.

the cylinder bore is the same and I thinks its possible to interchange TL heads with SV heads (and I think SV and DL are the same as far as bolt patterns etc), but I don't think its a straight swap, IIRC one of the mounts or something is different. JHS would know the details I think.

good luck - a DL with TL performance would be loads of fun (provided you upgraded the susension and put on a 17" front wheel and sticky tire).

I'd guess that TL pistions would fit just fine and would raise the compression raito.

·
Registered
4,364 Posts
I looked at a newer V-Strom and the engine mountings were similar but they didn't appear to be the same exact.

Also the heads looked different. Maybe some older internal parts will still work for the strom motor but the outer skin looks different. Also looked like there was a difference in materials too -aluminim instead of magnesium

·
Premium Member
7,697 Posts
Search and there's been a lot of threads about this.

The mounts are very different.

Apparently the heads have smaller valves and the cams are not interchangeable, but apparently the heads are interchangeable, as people have put TL heads with TL cams onto the SV1000 cylinders and bottom end with very good results.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts